advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect (2023 ‘Epic Fail’ box set edition)

Dover health authority says inland border facility will be ‘open door for disease’

Sevington site was never designed to handle volume of imports envisaged by post-Brexit changes due in April, port’s health chief warns

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...border-facility-will-be-open-door-for-disease

How much punishment can the country take before it wakes up?

Hang on, I'm not sure that you've quite grasped this. The door was wide open for disease when the UK was a member of the EU. Are you now complaining that the door isn't properly shut? If so, what does that make you?

We discussed the currency at some length a few pages back, and we might add that theoretically a fall in the currency should have stimulated goods exports, though that clearly hasn't been the case, and that a greater or smaller proportion of this must be attributed to the increased friction in trade with the EU.

So the fact that exports have struggled in favourable currency conditions is a concern and not a ‘benefit’. Good, something we can agree on.

The OBR states that potential productivity loss as compared with having stayed a member is likely to be in the region of 4% in the longer term. It also holds its position that leaving the EU will reduce UK trade by 15% compared with having stayed within the EU over the longer term, which I recall as having been 15 years, which would extrapolate UK GDP growth at twice the rate of both the EU and the Eurozone in 2023 had there been no brexit (and a full 2% faster than Germany, the UK's biggest EU trade partner), of which you can make what you will.

Buzz - repetition. I’ve made of it what I will, what do you make of it?

Exports of goods have suffered badly, down by over 13% since 2019, and imports by 7.4%. Counterintuitively the UK's exports to its non-EU partners have fallen more sharply than with the EU, which is holding steady. This would suggest that the UK's main trade partners outside the EU are suffering from the global downturn, though so too is Germany, which confuses the issue. The holding steady with the EU also suggests that brexit might not have had as sharp as expected an effect on exports to the bloc, though the TCA seems to have benefited larger corporations at the undoubted expense of SMEs. Trade openness figures are less optimistic still, with a fall of 3% below 2019 figures.

I’m not clear what you are trying to say here.

Services are booming, and appear to have brushed off brexit, with growth of 14% between 2019 and the end of 2023, faster than any of its main competitors including the US, and running at nearly 3% above the pre-brexit trend.
Brushed off? Or moved on from unnecessarily reduced base?

"Brexit shrank UK services exports by more than £110bn over a four-year period, new research shows, highlighting the far-reaching trade implications of Britain’s decision to break away from the EU. Experts at Aston University in Birmingham found that UK services exports from 2016 to 2019 were cumulatively £113bn lower than they would have been had the UK not voted to quit the EU in June 2016."

I think we would all agree that the UK needs to seek better trading terms with the EU for manufactured goods than is currently the case. Openness of trade benefits all parties. The issue with this is that the EU is primarily a political project (which is what the UK rejected), and the EU institutions have shown repeatedly that they will always place project over prosperity. It will ultimately be incumbent upon the member countries to reassert their authority over the EU. Whilst there are plenty of signs that this is happening already in some areas, given the EU's traditional grim-faced determination and the fact that it has everything to lose, I am not wildly optimistic. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

It’s true that we must seek better trading terms with the EU, but a bit odd coming from the side of this debate who trashed some already excellent terms and indeed a privileged membership position.

Your reply naturally ignores the main point made, that UK trade deals with countries outside of EU are failing miserably to replace those we had both in volume and terms. Those guys can’t believe their luck. Christ when George Eustace notices you’ve had your pants pulled down you really are dans la merde.

You said that already.

Can you point to that - or are you confusing imports with exports?

Indeed, the biosecurity issue.

Checks will apply, that simply didn’t.

More accurately the thread amply demonstrates that a small number of people on this forum have strongly-held opinions.
Indeed it may, but I think you’ll find those people are still waiting for some ‘benefits’ beyond warm fuzzy feelings of retained sovereignty that was never lost. Take your time.

I think you would find that a lot of people voted against their best commercial interests. I am one.

You are a rare breed. If you think that many people knowingly did that, you are kidding yourself and many of those were not in the position you are to sustain such high minded sacrifice. But many did trust the idea sown by Brexiteers that nothing much would change, only bad things.

Brooker may have been your type of Remainer - though I’d love to know what he might have called a follow up for Brexit, if he’d already used "The Great Deception” as a title. That doesn’t alter your oft repeated assertion to people here, that they somehow saw the EU as beyond reproach just because they were unhappy with an act of national self harm, fuelled by industrial levels of misinformation and whose funding has been frantically hidden.
I have a great deal of respect for the opinions of many people who voted for the UK to remain in the EU, particularly those whose informed opinion and instinct is broadly Eurosceptic. Most notable amongst them is the late Christopher Booker, who co-authored 'The Great Deception', and campaigned for years against the lies and excesses of the EU institutions, yet set out repeatedly and in detail how and why the UK would be making a terrible error in leaving the bloc in the manner in which it ultimately did.

Last edited:
So the fact that exports have struggled in favourable currency conditions is a concern and not a ‘benefit’. Good, something we can agree on.

Buzz - repetition. I’ve made of it what I will, what do you make of it?

I’m not clear what you are trying to say here.

Brushed off? Or moved on from unnecessarily reduced base?

"Brexit shrank UK services exports by more than £110bn over a four-year period, new research shows, highlighting the far-reaching trade implications of Britain’s decision to break away from the EU. Experts at Aston University in Birmingham found that UK services exports from 2016 to 2019 were cumulatively £113bn lower than they would have been had the UK not voted to quit the EU in June 2016."

It’s true that we must seek better trading terms with the EU, but a bit odd coming from the side of this debate who trashed some already excellent terms and indeed a privileged membership position.

Your reply naturally ignores the main point made, that UK trade deals with countries outside of EU are failing miserably to replace those we had both in volume and terms. Those guys can’t believe their luck. Christ when George Eustace notices you’ve had your pants pulled down you really are dans la merde.

Can you point to that - or are you confusing imports with exports?

Checks will apply, that simply didn’t.

Indeed it may, but I think you’ll find those people are still waiting for some ‘benefits’ beyond warm fuzzy feelings of retained sovereignty that was never lost. Take your time.

You are a rare breed. If you think that many people knowingly did that, you are kidding yourself and many of those were not in the position you are to sustain such high minded sacrifice. But many did trust the idea sown by Brexiteers that nothing much would change, only bad things.

Brooker may have been your type of Remainer - though I’d love to know what he might have called a follow up for Brexit, if he’d already used "The Great Deception”. That doesn’t alter your oft repeated assertion to people here, that they somehow saw the EU as beyond reproach just because they were unhappy with an act of national self harm, fuelled by industrial levels of misinformation and whose funding has been frantically hidden.

The FT piece you link to is dated 2021, and relates to the period when the UK was still an EU member. I doubt that it has any relevance to the current situation. Taking a trend line from 2011 to mid-2023, there was indeed a shallow curve below trend between Q3 2012 and Q3 2017, but from that point to the pandemic trade was pulling above trend. Since the end of 2020 it has risen steeply, broke above trend again in late 2022 and has continued to rise.

The Leave campaign certainly used immigration as one of the major selling points for Brexit. Take back control... :rolleyes:

PYioLvu.jpeg
For accuracy, that wasn't the Leave campaign's poster, it was UKIP's. No less sensationalist and disgusting but for the record and all that.

Another Brucie bonus

BBC News - Food price fears as Brexit import charges revealed
Yes, that was on R4 PM. Pisspoor interviewing - I waited and waited for the obvious questions "Is this part of the brexit bonus we were promised"? or "was project fear right all along"?

The new British red tape costs are going to hammer smaller specialty food imports. They want lots of cash for inspections that will only make sense to large scale importers like supermarkets that can absorb it. £145 on each small mixed order. Smaller specialty companies won’t bother trying to sell into the U.K. now.

We are entering Liz Truss’s world of cheese now. What d’ya want- plastic cheddar or Dairylea?

I know a few farmers, and whilst they might not be representative of the entire nation, to a man they voted for Brexit. They can **** off.
I have a very clear recollection of Andrea Leadsom, then agriculture minister telling the NFU conference that post-Brexit they would get the exact same level of funding from the govt ( but not have to put a sign in the field stating that they had received money from the EU) and that the supply of Romanian labourers would continue unabated.

She also claimed they would bring in Ukrainians to replace EU workers. None of it happened but what did happen was her govt opened to door wide open Australian tariff free agricultural products.

Brexit the grift that keeps on taking!
How anyone can continue to defend Brexit I will never understand. Indeed the only defence is they are retarded.

advertisement

Back