advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect (2023 ‘Epic Fail’ box set edition)

Looks like another ERG loon is going to bite the dust. She’s taken enough rope now for Sunak to let fate take its course

To98EmH.jpeg

Growing voices within the party apparently, “Bring Back Boris”. Turnip Island approaching its final debasement.

Last edited:
More positives...

That £170m may not seem like such a huge figure, in the broader scheme of things, and it's spread over 3 years. But those are just the extra handling costs: the real pain must come from the 17% drop in volume, which must be hitting small exporting businesses disproportionately. I'm surprised the total export volume to the whole EU is only in the £1.0 - 1.5 billion range. Seems low - the EU exports food worth €48 billion to the UK.

EDIT: that UK export figure is just for meat exports. Total exports around £13 billion, which puts the £170 million in perspective.
EU agri-propaganda data
"In 2022, EU imports from the UK increased by 28%,
to reach EUR 15.2 billion. After the significant dip in
2021, 2022 import values have reached 2020 levels.
This has been the case in value terms with the rise in
global market prices but not in volumes. Indeed,
despite the rise in imports of cereals from the UK
(+37% compared to 2020), most of EU imports
were below 2020 levels, notably fruit and nuts, sugar
and isoglucose (-84%), wine and wine based products
(-75%) and preparations of fruit, nuts and vegetables
(-63%)."

Bearing in mind that we remainers are no longer allowed to call Leave voters stupid, because it's this sort of language that fosters division and that did have a factor in hardening views in 2016 prior to the referendum, I'll have to call Mr Dickinson "misguided" and comment that someone less "misguided" might have thought about that sooner.

advertisement

Back