advertisement

Brands that disappeared very quickly

Didn`t someone produce a pickup arm with the tube leadouts connected via tails in a Mercury bath? - I doubt that lasted long.

A unipivot by Keith Monks I think.

I once got to the final of a competition in HiFi Answers to win a full system. That was the arm on the turntable. I can't remember the speakers, but I think they were large rectangular ESLs - not Quads.

The original Epos, Exposure, Audio Alchemy and other brands went pretty quickly. Yes all of them are back now, but they are shadows of their former self, well maybe not Exposure which seem to be making some good kit now.

Thinking about it, Audio Alchemy came back, but I think they have gone again now since being bought by Elac.

was it really true
I never did believe in these expensive stands.
They seem to be marketed as another ‘must have’, along with very expensive cables.
I recall Martin Colloms raved on about Mana stands, but then he raved on about a lot of things...
true that auditioning was carried out in ...er ... smoke filled rooms... as part of the sales technique?

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/hi-fi-brands-wot-have-disappeared.123143/

Would have save me the mental effort of digging these, below, out of my memory

TVA
Lentek Amp and m/c phono stage
Dahlquist (DQ‑10) Possibly not dead.
BLQ loudspeakers
Nightingale loudspeakers
Nightingale i gave my NM1's to me mate whose still got em...in Norfolk i think but sort of ended up connected with Wilmslow who may still have some empty Nightingale cabs in their stockroom

its
Didn`t someone produce a pickup arm with the tube leadouts connected via tails in a Mercury bath? - I doubt that lasted long.
why i support BREXIT....nanny state stopped one ordering top ups through the post ....

Last edited:
Anyone recall JPW loadspeakers ?

25 or so years ago they were always at the Penta & Bristol shows if I recall. Not sure what happened to them ?

On the subject of Ion Systems, I do remember them being on the BBC Money Programme or some other similar business news show from about 30 years ago if I'm not mistaken.

I don't recall why they were on though ? Anyone else remember that ?

Anyone recall JPW loadspeakers ?

25 or so years ago they were always at the Penta & Bristol shows if I recall. Not sure what happened to them ?

On the subject of Ion Systems, I do remember them being on the BBC Money Programme or some other similar business news show from about 30 years ago if I'm not mistaken.

I don't recall why they were on though ? Anyone else remember that ?

The early non-ported JPW were great
Sort of a cheapskate Snell/AN K.
I recall two sizes

John Shearne stuff always appealed on looks but not when I heard it at a show.

Mike Creek was I think forced to create EMF Audio when Tannoy bought out Creek briefly in the early 90s. I heard the Westminster Royals in the Tannoy factory listening room, driven by a prototype Creek /Tannoy amp The only EMF product I recall was his 'Crystal' DAC

Royce TTs (The 'Elega' springs to mind) Very much Rega based as I recall.

Albarry amplification came .. and went.. and came back again.. I think..

Lynx Fab looking stuff but I never heard it.

Cura Loudspeakers. Nice kit but another short life span.

There was another hi-fi stand that was popular for a very short period of time. It was all wood with wedge-shaped legs under each shelf. It was modular, I seem to recall the dealer I still use getting a sample in & it fell to bits.

Isoblue is still around.

Andrew

This was the amp I really wanted when I first took a serious interest in hi fi many years ago.I thought it the bees knees.
I,however, had to settle for Technics entry level which wasn’t too bad but not great.
http://www.alchemisthifi.info/ranges/kraken/alchemist_kraken_apd6_integrated_amplifier.htm
Same here - they sounded superb at a Hi-Fi show I went to and, at the time, I really liked to styling (80's :)) but sadly self destructed after a few minutes. I later heard this was not unknown for these amps.

There was an amplifier brand in the late 90s. Black sheet metal cases with rounded corners a la Deltec Name was 3 initials.. something like NVA but not, IYSWIM They got rave reviews and a bit of discussion of some sort of secret 'potted' module inside. I always wondered if the rave reviews had anything to do with them taking out full page ads in most of the big mags.. They disappeared after a year or so.

On reflection I think it was MVL

Lecson? Loved the look of the pre/power combo, although I never heard them. The few I’ve seen in recent years look very tatty indeed.

Mick

advertisement

Back