advertisement

Brands that disappeared very quickly

What about Castle Speakers, they made some nice gear with proper wood finishes. I remember listening to them against an entry level rega stand mount & prefering them. Had them for a few years.
Went bust many years back, now resurrected and part of IAG, made in China.
I still have a nice pair of Castle Tay in cherry veneer, boxed up when I got the Kudos's, never got round to selling.

Went bust many years back, now resurrected and part of IAG, made in China.
I still have a nice pair of Castle Tay in cherry veneer, boxed up when I got the Kudos's, never got round to selling.
Are the 'Tay' a stand mount or floor? Can't recall

Re . The naim clone
I had a dem of that gear at Audio T, bi amped with Pro-ac tabletts . The name something like Audiovoice but spelt odd ?

I've just seen stemcor and PerF 's post about Audio Vois .

I 've been thinking a lot about that dem lately ,it must have been over 30 years ago and has stayed with me ever since . I'm going to give bi-amping a go again .

What about Castle Speakers, they made some nice gear with proper wood finishes. .

Hardly a brand which 'disappeared very quickly.' Castle was around for the best part of 40 years and as well as their own speakers had a very successful business building cabinets for a lot of UK manufacturers.

Hardly a brand which 'disappeared very quickly.' Castle was around for the best part of 40 years and as well as their own speakers had a very successful business building cabinets for a lot of UK manufacturers.
Well, to be a brand it has to have some longevity. Castle could have fallen victim poor succession planning but I am a little ignorant of it's history

I had a Kelvin Labs class A (20W as I recall) feeding TDL Studio 1 speakers. Fond memories. Then the Kelvin blew up and the company had disappeared.

That must have been the Mk1 Kelvin Labs with piddly small heatsink internally. I have the MK2 version with external much bigger heatsinks and it works very nicely for many a year. If used as a power amp (volume control fully up), shows a clean pair of heals to a lot of expensive gear. I preferred it to a ARC D115 driving some big speakers.

What was the name of the Brand (Naim 160/42 clone?) amplication back in the eighties ?

Recall it was created by former Naim staff and possible the single only product from him/them.?
Oooooh.....I had one, can't remember either.....

Didn`t someone produce a pickup arm with the tube leadouts connected via tails in a Mercury bath? - I doubt that lasted long.

That must have been the Mk1 Kelvin Labs with piddly small heatsink internally. I have the MK2 version with external much bigger heatsinks and it works very nicely for many a year. If used as a power amp (volume control fully up), shows a clean pair of heals to a lot of expensive gear. I preferred it to a ARC D115 driving some big speakers.

Mine had the external heatsinks. It did last for quite a few years. I was not there when it went bang - one of the kids had switched it on, as they were allowed to.

I could not find any circuits or drawings of the amp so it seemed pointless to try and fix it. Do any circuit diagrams exist for it? - I would be curious to peruse if they were.

advertisement

Back