advertisement

Brands that disappeared very quickly

There was another hi-fi stand that was popular for a very short period of time. It was all wood with wedge-shaped legs under each shelf. It was modular, I seem to recall the dealer I still use getting a sample in & it fell to bits.

I never did believe in these expensive stands.
They seem to be marketed as another ‘must have’, along with very expensive cables.
I recall Martin Colloms raved on about Mana stands, but then he raved on about a lot of things...
Colloms, is he still around? Always loved expensive cables, nearly as batshit crazy as Ken Kesler

Didn't they have to be stacked in prime numbers to work properly? :rolleyes:

This kind of nuttery probably didn't help the cause:

images
I think the stacking was to keep the kids fingers away - as they grew, add another tier?

I moved house about 17 years ago, I bet they are still receiving the Russ Andrews catalogue. Never did buy anything from him. He did a stand I seem to recall also

Neil Young's Pono had great expectations, even thought it will trounce high end priced audio and even revolutionise the HiF industry. His intent was to reveal the artist intention in the studio to the average person without resorting to high priced audio equipment inorder to do so. Unfortunately Pono sort of vanished from the scene....?

Neil Young's Pono had great expectations, even thought it will trounce high end priced audio and even revolutionise the HiF industry. His intent was to reveal the artist intention in the studio to the average person without resorting to high priced audio equipment inorder to do so. Unfortunately Pono sort of vanished from the scene....?
It had a terrible name for a start & mass market is not interested in sound quality. It was also a really odd ungainly shape.

What was the name of the Brand (Naim 160/42 clone?) amplication back in the eighties ?

Recall it was created by former Naim staff and possible the single only product from him/them.?

Audio Vois.

There was Virgin branded HiFi for a short while in I think the 80s.

Anyone remember Alba? One of their ‘top loading’ amps got a surprisingly excellent review many years ago.

Tesserac! (not sure of exact spelling but pretty sure not Tesseract). So obscure I can't find even a mention of them in a google search! They made very high tech and original SS amps at high end prices in the UK, mid to late 80's ish and had several very good reviews over about 4-6 months and then vanished. I went to visit them when I lived darn sarf with a view to getting an engineering job but found it was a one man band....

They [Mana] managed to brainwash various forum posters and ran a successfull period...

Yes, but no worse really than Linn, with the infamous LP12. Naim bringing out the Fraim probably finished Mana.

advertisement

Back