advertisement

Bowers & Wilkins listening fatigue - advice sought

If you get a chance have a look at martin logan electromotion , central audio closing down and has a pair at 1295 and asking offers .they are totally superb speakers and a total bargain at that price or less

Wow, that is cheap but at that price I would want to know how old they are as it depends how many years of life are left in the panel. I will be bringing my Aerius i down from the loft in the coming weeks to compare with my Rega RS10 as logically one of them has to go. I bought my ML in 2019 IIRC as I then bought new panels in 2020 and lockdown meant they took some months to arrive from the US. I’ll fit them if they win the comparison. So if those Electromotions needed new panels at some point I presume the delays have gone but will still cost the owner £1K to sort.

Rega gear is often pretty smooth, I’d try another amp first before looking at the speaker though. Try a naim integrated.
Are you trying to destroy his ears? That's like if I said "I have a problem. My kitchen is on fire." and you say "Try pouring some petrol on it."

Wow, that is cheap but at that price I would want to know how old they are as it depends how many years of life are left in the panel. I will be bringing my Aerius i down from the loft in the coming weeks to compare with my Rega RS10 as logically one of them has to go. I bought my ML in 2019 IIRC as I then bought new panels in 2020 and lockdown meant they took some months to arrive from the US. I’ll fit them if they win the comparison. So if those Electromotions needed new panels at some point I presume the delays have gone but will still cost the owner £1K to sort.
they were a lot more but have come down in price , as antony says its been a bad year . i wouldnt worry too much about panels yet

Are you trying to destroy his ears? That's like if I said "I have a problem. My kitchen is on fire." and you say "Try pouring some petrol on it."
Exactly what I thought! Definitely try alternative speakers first . The idea of finding a fishie local to you who is happy to bring their speakers round sounds the most cost effective step to me

It’s just a stereo, relax. There’s literally no negative outcomes here in real terms. OP tries something he either likes it or he doesn’t.

Unless he's buying 2nd hand or doesn't have a dealer near him that'll do a home trial in which case he could dump a load of money so there's potentially quite a big negative outcome.

Reactions: gez
Unless he's buying 2nd hand or doesn't have a dealer near him that'll do a home trial in which case he could dump a load of money so there's potentially quite a big negative outcome.
Not really, it's not like I'm telling him to stick a finger in the mains socket. Lots of people use naim with B&W, lots of people like naim. I have generally found Rega stuff to be a bit meh. It's not irresponsible to express a valid viewpoint.

Not really, it's not like I'm telling him to stick a finger in the mains socket. Lots of people use naim with B&W, lots of people like naim. I have generally found Rega stuff to be a bit meh. It's not irresponsible to express a valid viewpoint.

I literally couldn’t care less, not really my problem;)

I thnk the latter of these 2 comments says it all ... not someone who's opinion I'd hold in high regard.

A sad atempt to be patronising ... but hey ho.
It's an interesting reply as you seem to want to start an argument. I care little as to what level of regard you hold me in, I merely expressed a viewpoint which the OP may or may not find useful. I also suggested trying another more neutral speaker.

Obviously you are in possession of the correct answer so I will say no more about it.

Lots of people use naim with B&W, lots of people like naim.
Lot's of people also have quite significant high frequency hearing loss as they get older.
I have generally found Rega stuff to be a bit meh.
Likely because it's too smooth for your tastes. In this case it's going to be a benefit to tame the tweeter.
I also suggested trying another more neutral speaker.
This is likely going to be the best course of action in the current case.

Lot's of people also have quite significant high frequency hearing loss as they get older.

Likely because it's too smooth for your tastes. In this case it's going to be a benefit to tame the tweeter.

This is likely going to be the best course of action in the current case.
I believe the OP already has a Rega amp?

I don’t think high frequency hearing loss is in any way relevant.

I found Cyrus gear smooths the B&W a bit and makes them less fatiguing but still have enough sparkle that I like about B&W speakers. Lots of used Cyrus pre/power and integrated amps on the auction site without breaking the bank.

I believe the OP already has a Rega amp?

OP does. So in this case a different set of speakers is probably the best bet.

I don’t think high frequency hearing loss is in any way relevant.

You'd be surprised how much it can steer a preference for a brighter setup.

I found Cyrus gear smooths the B&W a bit and make them less fatiguing but still have enough sparkle that I like about B&W speakers.

Might be worth a shot. However, In this case I would choose a different speaker overall.

I have to add a new comment here. I've now set my B&W602.5 S3 with a recommended subwoofer, MJ Acoustic Pro 50mk2. My system now sounds like I have new speakers all round, the subwoofer (not pushed hard/loud) really balances the sound of the B&W's so I cant fault them now albeit that this is just my opinion (well done Minio and others for your thoughts on this).

advertisement

Back