advertisement

Bosch (or similar) multi tools - any experience

It would be infrequently used so have a question about degradation of batteries left for long period

yesterday i used an 18V Ryobi battery in a Ryobi cordless tool. Battery was probably last charged back in October last year. The gauge was showing 100% charge

That’s what currently I’m wondering. It would be infrequently used so have a question about degradation of batteries left for long period. I have a Bosch battery hand drill but use it up ladders etc where a cable would be impractical. Decisions!
As mentioned elsewhere, lithium batteries hold their charge very well. With repeated rechargings, their ability to hold charge decreases, but this is only after many rechargings.

Agreed, very useful tool. I used mine last weekend and there are many jobs that it makes a significant difference with. My favourite use is cutting out holes in masonry walls to take electrical sockets using the appropriate blade. Actually cutting a precise hole is a great thing.

I have a basic Bosch version mains powered like the one linked. Quite fancy getting a battery version, hmmmmmm ........

Used the Bosch green before getting a fein ( also have an 18v Dewalt).
Very surprised at the non pro bosch. Used it almost every day, outside and in. Very good bit of kit.

Only to repeat what everyone else says - an incredibly useful tool. I've a Bosch cordless one & it's only when you've got one you realise what great bits of kit they are.

Mine isn’t cordless but has been fantastic, I think I’ve had it for 2 to 3 years now DEWALT DWE315KT. In comparison with inferior multitools I used before, the quick change system for blades has been great ie. no more blades coming loose. So has the speed adjustable trigger that gives control on the oscillation you need at the time.

When it comes time to replace the DEWALT these two features will be top of my list, whichever brand I go for.

What speed should they be run at? Do the blades overheat if too fast? I've winged it and been ok but there must be some logic to the speeds.

What speed should they be run at? Do the blades overheat if too fast? I've winged it and been ok but there must be some logic to the speeds.

Don't know really. My Bosch only runs at one speed - really fast and noisy. Never overheated a blade but blunted a few through hitting nails etc.

Great tools, use mine all the time, I have a Makita cordless. Try and get one that doesn't tie you in to one fitting system as the Starlock system, whilst great, is expensive for blades. I found a huge variation in blade quality too with Bosch and Makita being way better than cheap unbranded blades. These turned out to be a false economy. For metal look for bi-metal blades, they seem to work the best to me. If it's for occasional use don't go mad price wise, any reputable make will work just fine. Mine is used almost daily so needed to be a bit more robust hence why I went for a pricier option.

I find speed adjustment can help against material being cut smouldering but sometimes when you’re trying to cut carefully having a soft trigger start and low speed before you get going has been useful, same when getting to the end of a cut. I doubt a skilled DIYer or tradesman needs it but as a DIY numpty thought this might help others.

I got one recently and am very happy. Chased out a track for mains wiring in plaster without the horrendous mess of circular saw. Cutout for wooden skirting board. Trimmed plastic gutter.
The only thing I've had no luck with is cutting metal. I tried to cut off a nail and it wrecked the blade, broke off teeth. Tried another bit of metal and it was hopeless. Maybe the supplied metal blades were crap.
Similar to my experience with my Ryobi. It's a useful tool for numerous awkward tasks, but the blades could be much better. They are also stupidly expensive for what they are.

Variable speed corded Bosch here (120v US). Has been invaluable during our remodels. Comes into its own for trim work and working in tight spaces. Just make sure to use ear defenders. Slowly accumulating Makita 18v cordless tools and might transition at some point. While expensive, the carbide tipped blades do last a long time.

My cheap as chips Lidl speed goes from 1 to 6.
I suppose the sooper-dooper expensive ones go to 11.

Similar to my experience with my Ryobi. It's a useful tool for numerous awkward tasks, but the blades could be much better. They are also stupidly expensive for what they are.

I got a Bosch 180 watt version when B&Q were clearing stock for a new seasonal promotion for £20 (they had a pallet full - all gone next day!). Very useful for all sorts of otherwise awkward jobs.

I bought a nice set of blades from Saxton, google them to see their extensive range.

advertisement

Back