advertisement

Bosch (or similar) multi tools - any experience

starbuck

pfm Member
I was looking at the deals on Amazon today and noticed this one for a Bosch Multi Tool https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01KXPDK7Q/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21 . Not the cheapest it has ever been but not far off.

I have a couple of little jobs that I know I could use one of these for but was wondering, has anyone here purchased something similar, was it any good and did you find lots of uses for it that you weren't expecting or does it sit gathering dust?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I got one from Lidl over ten years ago.
It’s the most useful but of kit I ever bought.
It has had some hammer cutting the bottom of door frames to fit laminate flooring in three houses, cut copper pipe work, scraped carpet glue off a staircase, removed grout for regrouting, etc..
It takes blades from any manufacturer.
Still works perfectly.

Yes, I have a cheap one from a German supermarket. I think it was £30, works well. It's quite good when you can't get access, I've used mine in the last month.

wow our multitool has been just amazing ... so incredibly useful for so many things . like cutting holes in floors , even removing a large kitchen lino floor stuck down with very heavy duty glue !!!

I have a cordless DeWalt, bought as a kit with carry case, batteries, charger & accessories - saw blades, detail sanding block & papers, and a couple of bits that I have no idea what they are used for. :eek::D:D:D (Yeah, I know - RTFM!)

However it is probably the “most used” of all my power tools.

We have the Ryobi 18V battery version. Very handy tool, although not my most used tool

I got one recently and am very happy. Chased out a track for mains wiring in plaster without the horrendous mess of circular saw. Cutout for wooden skirting board. Trimmed plastic gutter.
The only thing I've had no luck with is cutting metal. I tried to cut off a nail and it wrecked the blade, broke off teeth. Tried another bit of metal and it was hopeless. Maybe the supplied metal blades were crap.

The only thing I've had no luck with is cutting metal. I tried to cut off a nail and it wrecked the blade, broke off teeth. Tried another bit of metal and it was hopeless. Maybe the supplied metal blades were crap.

had the same problem with mine

Which ones take blades from other manufacturers? I watched the vid for the 18v Bosch pro and it implied a ‘universal’ fit.

Thanks all for those replies. I am both slightly amazed that all 8 replies have all been in broad agreement which has to be unusal for a question posted on the internet, and also wondering how I have managed to live this long without one of these multi-tools :). I will correct this oversight immediately and thank you all for putting me on the right path.

Try Proxxon blades, discs etc if they fit. I have a few and the seem to be more robust, sharper, precise and made of better steel than some of the other manufacturers. Same goes for their tools, although expensive, you get what you pay for in their case.

Which ones take blades from other manufacturers? I watched the vid for the 18v Bosch pro and it implied a ‘universal’ fit.
There are a number of different fittings, so it is possible to buy the wrong ones. This:

th

appears to be the most common type, but there is also Fein's Starlock:

https://toolster.ch/de/maschinen-un...-e-cut-starlock-570810.html?artno=570810.0400

Fortunately, my Fein came with a number of different arbors, so I can use any blade.

I bought a Fein 20 year ago - expensive at the time and was really the only manufacturer at the time. Used for home diy and theatre scenery building and still going strong.
Even with expensive blades metal cutting not so great - but great for wood, plaster, plastics even grout removal.
The only power tool I have that's even older is an early Makita 9v battery drill and yes that's still gets used - though it has a newer battery.

I’ve got a 240v Fein, very long cord on it. If you can stretch to it get one. They really are the best there is.

I recently bought a cordless one of those (Bosch 18V) and it is truly versatile at cutting material in tight confines. The Lithium battery is interchangeable with my cordless drill, hedge trimmer, line trimmer and I might even get a leaf blower next. Consider if you should get a corded or cordless one.

I recently bought a cordless one of those (Bosch 18V) and it is truly versatile at cutting material in tight confines. The Lithium battery is interchangeable with my cordless drill, hedge trimmer, line trimmer and I might even get a leaf blower next. Consider if you should get a corded or cordless one.
That’s what currently I’m wondering. It would be infrequently used so have a question about degradation of batteries left for long period. I have a Bosch battery hand drill but use it up ladders etc where a cable would be impractical. Decisions!

I bought an Einhell corded multi tool a few years ago when it was on offer in my local DIY store. While it hasn't been used very often, however it would have been difficult to to do the jobs any other way.

As I now have a 18v Bosch Cordless drill, buying now I would probably have bought a Bosch one to use the existing batteries. It pays to think ahead about other tools that can work together.

Modern lithium batteries don't deteriorate like earlier rechargeables. I think that
the more tools you have using the same battery the better.

I have a cheap one I don’t use it much but it does come handy when I remember I have it.
I have cut 2mm aluminium with it easy.

Pete

advertisement

Back