advertisement

Boring music or boring hifi?

Boring music or boring hifi?

Neither, just incredibly boring people.

Lol.....

yeah hi fi shops are the most boring places in the world mostly.
i remember going to one in the midlands and they didn't even know were the local record shop was!!!

Darryl,

Since getting good cans I've noticed that exact thing several times -- i.e., hearing a bit of extra detail on the cans that I had never heard before through my speakers, yet the next time I listen to the same piece on the speakers I can now hear the extra detail.

I'm not sure what the term for it is, but you get a pretty convincing demonstration of the phenomenon if you've ever downloaded a few tracks from a sine-wave speech site.

Now listen to the first clip again.

Here's another. Listen again in the same order -- SWS, original, SWS.

Joe

yep' the brain is easily fooled.
it is because we are programmed to 'learn' patterns and these patterns then become little blocks of memorys - a scientist called it the digital brain - as the brain uses small parts of a picture or sound and adds what it thinks is natural and necessary to it.....as it goes along.
that's why the tune dem is a con because they always point out the very thing that your brain is already going to focus on.

cav,
i very much doubt that it is the sound of folk that has ensured you like it, it is the music's 'language' that is speaking to you and that is what is it's addictive quality.
you are finding it to have a meaning to you as a person.

No, I can't really accept that. It was (and is) the sound that first appealed, and the lyrics where present - but not for all folk music any more than for any other type of music I like (I am multilingual musically).

Music is a simpler pleasure than some would have us believe.

so you like hi fi but don't like live folk.

hi fi is a modern phenomena unlike music which is as early an artform as possible really.

Darryl,

how do folk musicians as an example know that the music they make is folk?
That's easy. Look for a beard, lots of natural fibres and Birkenstocks.

A whiff of patchouli is necessary, but note that patchouli is not in and of itself sufficient.

Joe

Darryl,

That's easy. Look for a beard, lots of natural fibres and Birkenstocks.

A whiff of patchouli is necessary, but note that patchouli is not in and of itself sufficient.

Joe

Finger in the ear, real ale, everyone sings along, each song is 40 verses long and tells of a maid, me boys, she was a proper tart, though even so you know, me boys, she broke her true love's heart.

it's easy really - the music is a 'language' that has been passed down to people and this is why some kind of music sounds alien to some people.

an example is for instance, things like kraftwerk - whose early music used the industrial age as an influence on it's rhythmic elements - eg:- the sound of train tracks beating with the train wheels etc etc.

some african music had drum patterns that actually are like a lyric, in other words certain parts of the rhythmic cycle had a verbal meaning.

a friend of mine is a tabla player and he was teaching me the cycles by singing the parts - no tabla in sight.

this is why we 'get' or 'don't get' the musical message....it's very easy to design a speaker to add a big thump to drums that is an enhancement to some music but it may obliterate other bass sounds.
i'm sure james the speaker genius here can elaborate on the effect.

cav,
another quick one to think over - how do folk musicians as an example know that the music they make is folk?

Because their repertoire comes from an established folk canon, mainly.

Of course much of what is described as folk is not at all; it is often music in the folk idiom (or idiot in some cases).

hi cav,
why do you say you like it because of how it sounds?
i don't get what you mean as you have also just said that folk is an 'idiom' which is basically as i said.
if you like 'the sound of folk' do you mean the 'style of' as in i suppose acoustic artists or the feel due to the origins of the ethnic region it's originally from ie:- celtic or norfolk or french gypsy jazz.
do you know why you like it as i have never ever met someone who says they like a genre of music because of how it sounds, they normally say it's because they relate to it or it makes them want to dance or cry or singalong none of these things come just from the 'sound'

regards
darryl

As I said earlier, there is less to this than meets the eye.

I like any music for the way it sounds and whether I enjoy the sound or not.

The irish tradition of music is my favourite from a musical point of view. It has particular rythms, forms, rules, instruments. But I do not like all irish music that conforms to those conventions. It is easy for me - I like something because I like it. If it helps you, I like it because the way it sounds creates in me an emotional response.

This is true of every style of music that I like, be it classical, pop, rock, avant-garde whatever.

No. Why do you persist in saying the music is not the sound?

Take a classic irish traditional tune The Gold Ring. Hear it played on the uillean pipes by Paddy Keenan, Liam O'Flynn, Seamus Ennis.

Each plays the music: the correct notes, in the correct order, at the correct tempo. The tune in each case is clearly The Gold Ring.

In terms of enjoyment I would rate them in the order listed above. I like the Keenan rendition more than the other two. All play music.

Perhaps you had better explain more clearly what you mean when you say the sound is not the music?

You could look at a painting and (dis)like it, or not, pretty much in the first few seconds. It's not until you see what the artist was expressing that you understand what it is about. Both require visual acuity, but the latter involves a bit more cerebral processing. Every sighted person can like or dislike paintings. Not everyone will get the artistic intent.

Some people focus primarily on melody, which I believe is most easily discerned, but others might care more for rhythmic nuance, emotional expression and/or lyrical messages. How much fidelity you need may be driven by what's really important to you.

James

...it's very easy to design a speaker to add a big thump to drums that is an enhancement to some music but it may obliterate other bass sounds.
i'm sure james the speaker genius here can elaborate on the effect.
Speaker genius? Surely you jest.

No loudspeaker system in the world is capable of reaching close to 0Hz without displacing its woofer onto the other side of the room. Permanently. They will all start to roll off at some rate and from some point in the LF range. At the same time, closed enclosures we call rooms offer a degree of gain (depending on shape, size, construction etc) that can offset the roll off. But it's rarely even, and it's very much up to the ear/brain to compensate. That's when the set up nearly ideal.

Loudspeakers and their room interactions are the folly of the hifi cognoscenti. A decent pair of headphones and a bass shaker are all you really need to experience audio nirvana.

James

You could look at a painting and (dis)like it, or not, pretty much in the first few seconds. It's not until you see what the artist was expressing that you understand what it is about. Both require visual acuity, but the latter involves a bit more cerebral processing. Every sighted person can like or dislike paintings. Not everyone will get the artistic intent.

I like the Thurber cartoon of a cross-looking man at an art gallery, with one bystander saying to another: 'He knows everything about art, but he doesn't know what he likes'.

advertisement

Back