advertisement

Boring music or boring hifi?

P.S. I edited my previous post. I meant to write isn't not is.

Joe

Dave,

Not so good that I got it right in the first place.

(I'm a crappy on-screen proofreader.)

Joe

I feel I still have something to learn from The Master Mr Petrik. Carry on and I'll be with the security team in the transporter room just in case you get in trouble.

I wasn't refeering to the grammer bit but Argelius II. A bit too much ale had me misquote the wrong post (hic), Qua;lity control check and all

JR — What did you think of the enhanced effects in The Doomsday Machine?

292px-USS_Enterprise_tractored_into_planet_killer,_remastered.jpg

I had plenty of misgivings about the space scenes being redone with CGI, but after seeing that episode I have to say it was worth it there. The planet eater finally looks as though it has a maw big enough to swallow a dozen starships.

Dave — If you've been reefering, I have no expectation for perfect spelling and grammar... man.

Joe

P.S. A fan did a pretty good job remastering that episode, too, considering it was probably done on his mom's computer.

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
I quite liked some of the improved effects. The Doomsday machine was a good example. Even just the slightly more swishy Tholian Web ships were good. The UV satellites (Operation Annihilate) were a bit much though - it was like you got dropped into Voyager for 30 seconds and then zap back to classic Trek.

The effects aren't important though. Just having shiny cleaned up episodes was fine.

Jonathan,

I know what you mean about the incongruity. One minute you're watching UV satellites being deployed from the ship, the next you're seeing those flying barf things melting into a pile of goo.

Joe

Perhaps you're just slow.

"what it sounds like" is a simple sentence, which clearly means, in this context, "how it sounds". So, what I am saying is the meaning of a piece of music is not a function of how it sounds. As others had no problem understanding.

There's a strong relationship. I quoted you. So you deny you wrote the words I quoted?

Interesting. Anyway, there are more important things in life, such as cricket, to time to move on. Ciao

There must be something different about the study of philosophy in Australia.

James :D

"what it sounds like" is a simple sentence, which clearly means, in this context, "how it sounds". So, what I am saying is the meaning of a piece of music is not a function of how it sounds. As others had no problem understanding.

I did not/do not understand. I did ask previously but with no response.

Leaving aside for a moment what you mean by "the meaning of a piece of music", if this is not "a function of how it sounds" what is it a function of?

Sorry, I overlooked your post.

Leaving aside for a moment what you mean by "the meaning of a piece of music", if this is not "a function of how it sounds" what is it a function of?

Pretty much everything else - historical context, authorial intention, the physical act of playing, you name it. Sound is simply the medium used to construct what we call music, the result is something more than sound, and can't be explained merely by reference to its sonic building blocks.

I think so. I didn't "get" Bob Dylan until I heard him on my current hifi. I tried him over the years on my previous rigs as well as other's rigs and never "got" him. The first time I played him on my newest rig back in '95 he suddenly clicked. Go figure...

This is my experience exactly. A great set up makes it easier to start liking different kinds of music. It makes it easier to "get" the music.

A different example: I got a demo at a high end shop some time ago. The same Cowboy Junkies song (CD) on two completely different set ups (both at least in the 8.000 UKP territory.)

First one was a Leben valve integrated with Zu Druid speakers. Sound was fantastic – and everywhere! But the Cowboy Junkies sounded ... well like junkies actually! Both sound and instruments were all over the place – and while it was quite a fun trip, with lots of detail (burritos?) flying around – I really didn´t get the song/melody.

Next up was transistor amps from MBL (If I remember correctly) with Neat speakers. This was totally different. Not at all as trippy. The details were there but not all over. No sound to be impressed by. But I did "get" the song. It was actually a simple blues.

Now, Cowboy Junkies did indeed sound more different from other bands and genres in the Leben set up. With transistor/Neat it sounded simply ... well like a band playing a slow blues.

To sum up: I agree with Tony that a good set-up gets out of the way, but which one of the above mentioned did just that?

My notion is that the Neat system got out of the way the most.
It made the musical intention come through; it made the music sound like music – and not trippy "sounds".

Maybe all great set ups in ONE regard sound exactly the same. They make music sound like music – no matter the genre.

Cheers!

Lake

advertisement

Back