advertisement

Borgen

Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Accuphase all the way down
Anybody watching the new series?

We watched episode 1 on Netflix yesterday. Not sure we’ll bother with episode 2. The storylines look fine, but, oh God, the dubbing is dreadful.

The translation is lame and the voices are badly matched to the characters (an obviously young voice for a late middle aged man, for example), but worse than that, the actual dialogue is so devoid of expression, or any attempt at imbuing it with meaning, it kills the whole drama dead.

Very disappointed, and the decision to dub, rather than subtitle as in the previous series, was a bad one.

We to watched the first one last night, we had the subtitle option on so it was not that bad. It did seem a little long but I guess they were trying to put all the pieces together. I think it's one of those series not to binge watch. We will give episode 2 a chance when there is nothing else on.

Just tried it. Subtitles work fine with original audio.

Will probably give it a go but the original series, while watchable, never really wowed me. I don't think I found its depiction of politics terribly convincing (too "West Wing", ultimately).

Dubbing is a betrayal of actors’ jobs anyway. It is always bad I find. People can read. My kids learnt how to read fast with cartoon subtitles :)

Does the subtitle option mute the audio? Not sure I’d want to watch it in silence.
No, but I did notice last night that Netflix have a new section marked "Films dubbed in English" and Borgen was in that section. We watched it via the "Exclusive to Netflix" section. Could that be were the dubbing problem lies?

I would never watch anything that was dubbed. As others have said, you've got the option on Netflix of different audio tracks and subtitles.

The Dark is a great example of the above - either stunning or laughable- take your choice

Binge watched the entire series over 3 nights in Dansk with subs
Plot is a little shaky though the shenanigans are fun

advertisement

Back