advertisement

Bookshelf (in real sense of the word) speakers recommendations

A pair of old ARs: 6s, 7s, 4x, or the more modern Teledyne models. They were meant to be placed among even and thick books. They still sound ok. I have a pair of AR4x's, good acoustic suspensions.

M.

In our opinion the best passive speakers around are probably Vienna Acoustics or Spendors, they are very expensive because of the high distributor and dealer margins, but both are natural and neutral, so good to live with and especially suitable for those with wide ranging tastes in music and where speech is important.

Ash

I used to love my Linn Tukans - absolutely superbe sound with my naim 110/62 combo at the time. I am sure that you could pick up a pre-owned pair for half of your budget!

I compared these the latest Mission review favourites at the time I bought them and they better the missions both in terms of detail resolution and a very smooth and 'natural' sound - evident on real acoustic instruments and vocals!

If I were looking for a smaller speaker I would certainly hunt these out!

£100-£120 will get you an old pair of Mission 751 freedom speakers

way below your budget but hard to beat .... front ported and work well on shelves

The 751 Freedom is rear-ported, as opposed to the 751.
Had the former for years, a lovely little speaker that sang its little heart out on the end of a Nait 2.

Huh, that's quite a few more recommendations... Many thanks!

I would love to have Harbeths or Spendors, but they are over the budget unfortunately (unless I find a good s/h deal that is).

jcbrum: Pro Nine and Pro Nine Plus do look interesting. Meant to be placed on bookshelves if I understand correctly... Will keep an eye out for them. Neutrons 4 & 5 are a no-go then?

S-Man: The amp is an Avondale 260z, which is IMHO less toppy than the older Naims (I do love my olive 72/140 though). Pre is a 32.5 with a choice of boards (Avondale or NJs). What amp we're you using them with, if you don't mind me asking? I'm very keen on the Ushers as I can hear and get them locally (and at a good price probably) + they look nice to boot.

Ashley: I'm really sorted on the amp front, but thanks for the offer of the actives nevertheless. I could get a pair of Vienna Acoustics Chellos (=Haydns) localy, though I'm not sure on the bookshelf placement. They are meant to be used free standing if I'm not mistaken.

Robert, Matt, Max, Bagga, Rob: Thanks. Will keep an eye out for any of them.

Higher and deeper than normal bookshelves, so I can get some free air around. Are the Neutrons particularly bass light (let's say in comparions to AMD9s - I've heard the first incarnation on a show and they we're a bit bass light for my taste)?

<moderating>

Advertising / product spam removed. I ask that people respect the rules if this site.

Tony.

That's not fair Tony, I am an N4 owner and user as well as the other speakers, and vrazji did specifically ask me to comment on the speakers, and 'air' around them and their bass response.

None of my response to him was advertising, - in fact I recommended a model which is out of production and only available second-hand.

I think you should put the post back so that people can judge. If the OP thinks it's advertising then I'll abide by that.

JC.

JC - I left your initial post in, I only removed the later stuff that contained pricing and a direct ad or two from Ash. Everything I removed stuff was very clearly against the sites rules.

Tony.

I'm sorry if this has caused any stirr. Wasn't intended. Indeed I did ask about the N5 placement - to which I got my answer. As stated I'd only consider S/H AVI gear and non-actives.

I have Q Acoustics 1010 speakers at my desk; I find they are good enough but not too demanding of my attention (ie. I can do my work with them, rather than stopping and listening to the music!).
I have always liked the look of, but never actually listened to, the Monitor Audio Radius ones.

If it was me I'd go for Kytes - heard my old pair at ex-girlfriend's party last weekend and was amazed...

Also note that Richard Dunn recommends the old 90s JPW minis - which are cheap as chips on eBay.

I'm sorry if this has caused any stirr. Wasn't intended. Indeed I did ask about the N5 placement - to which I got my answer. As stated I'd only consider S/H AVI gear and non-actives.

Please don't apologise. Your post was precise and well worded, your requirements very clear. I'll trim the tread back shortly to remove my moderation comments and responses so folk can continue discussing options without distraction.

Tony.

I run a pair of Neutron Vs about 30cm from a solid back wall on stands. They do bass pretty well within their limitations set up like this. They do have a rather obvious port, and I suspect that on bookshelves the port could boom. They tail off around 50Hz, so they're not bass monsters. Maybe a big splod of blu-tac in the port would sort it if there is a problem.

the positive is the treble is very refined, and they don't shout. Kytes are lovely speakers, but they're not as good as the AVIs. In the same room they got congested and shouted when turned up. The AVIs love jazz and classical, anything natural sounding is perfect for them.

It's hard to say without trying them in your location whether they'd be what you want. However you can buy a set from ebay for about £300 last time I looked. They're a lot of speaker for that money.

The obvious bookshelf speaker is a pair of Linn Kans. They thrive on being placed against a wall. The downside of these is they're a bit of an acquired taste, and they do tend to choose your music for you

The version of the Neutrons I once owned - for about a week- sounded as though the music was being forced out. I believe that with certain amps they could sound on the harsh side of neutral or the neutral side of harsh. No home dem was possible unfortunately prior to purhase.

As always,best to listen with your own amps before buying.

The version of the Neutrons I once owned - for about a week- sounded as though the music was being forced out. I believe that with certain amps they could sound on the harsh side of neutral or the neutral side of harsh. No home dem was possible unfortunately prior to purhase.

As always,best to listen with your own amps before buying.

To be fair Norman, you're on your own with that view.

Surely customer satisfaction is the best indicator, not a single opinion on a forum.

The fact is that we sold many thousands of pairs of the earlier Neutrons, dealers took up to 200 pairs in a single order and yet you almost never see any second hand and we still get emails and calls from owners who'd never part with them. Customers love them.

They are the same size as LS3/5As but sideways on, which is a technically better way to do it. I still don't think the Scanspeak D2905/93000 has been been bettered and the bass driver was chosen to suit the harsher amps about at the time.

Ports are not an issue, bass radiates through 360 degrees anyway and if you stick a speaker with a rear firing port in a bookshelf, you gain some from the restricted radiation pattern and lose a little from the port, so not much change.

I do agree that it is always a problem matching low powered amps to speakers, which is why we recommend AV processors like the Yamaha RXV 667 for £350, so very little cost , amps are good and most allow bridging on the front two channels to give around 180-200 WPC, which is enough to avoid clipping and the attendant nasties.

I don't know why PFs piss abut with less power than you get in a modern TV now.

Ash

PS. Tony. I don't mind paying £50 if it'll stop you pulling helpful posts!

Ash,

I don't know why PFs piss abut with less power than you get in a modern TV now.
Some of us use speakers with sensitivity figures in the triple digits — ~100db/watt/metre in my case.

The 40 watts a side my Stingray outputs into GRFs is the equivalent of kilowatt into an inefficient speaker. It's the acoustic output that ultimately counts, not the power available.

Joe

S-Man: The amp is an Avondale 260z, which is IMHO less toppy than the older Naims (I do love my olive 72/140 though). Pre is a 32.5 with a choice of boards (Avondale or NJs). What amp we're you using them with, if you don't mind me asking? I'm very keen on the Ushers as I can hear and get them locally (and at a good price probably) + they look nice to boot.

I bought a pair for installation in a large galeried kitchen (not mine, sadly) with the speakers on top of kitchen cabinets and driven by a Sonos system.
I ran them in at home using my CA840C, Leach Amp (might have even tried it with my NCC200s, can't remember) system. They sounded quite good but can be a bit lean sounding. I also tried the ZP100.
When I installed them in the kitchen they sounded absolutely amazing, totally coherent, smooth but exciting, full and rich but clean as well. The owners has a few problems with the Sonos/pc setup and I went back to tweak it. After a 2 minute fix I sat there for about an hour just listening to music, it was stupidly good in a way that 90% of systems you hear at hifi shows are not. When I switched if off and went downstairs from the mezzanine, there was a chap fitting a rad, we exchanged a few pleasantries and then he said "do you 'ave to turn that off, it was absolutely 'kin brilliant"

He was right!

advertisement

Back