advertisement

Bookshelf (in real sense of the word) speakers recommendations

vrazji

pfm Member
As per title of the thread: I'm looking for bookshelf speakers - to be literally placed/used on bookshelves. I realise it's a compromise but unfortunatelly circumstances prevent "normal" positioning. Amplification is to be Avondale/Naim.

Budget - let's say up to 500 GBP.

Any suggestions much appreciated!

It uses a single full-range driver. Does this mean that everyone who's been using two or three drivers and their associated crossover networks all these years has been in error? If so, it would certainly simplify loudspeaker design. Why am I sceptical?

It uses a single full-range driver. Does this mean that everyone who's been using two or three drivers and their associated crossover networks all these years has been in error? If so, it would certainly simplify loudspeaker design. Why am I sceptical?

I'm told the cross over is a BIG loss in sonics.

I single driver does make a lot of sense.

Indeed, if it were possible to make one which could cope with the requisite range of frequencies. The words "holy" and "grail" spring to mind.

AVI Nutrons - mkIV in my case - are fine little speakers if you can put up with the stigma of buying an AVI product and having your peers ostracize you.....

Blueroom Minipods will work and they appreciate better amplification. Funky too and made by B&W so they have pedigree.

if you can put up with the stigma of buying an AVI product and having your peers ostracize you.....

There is only one stigmatised AVI product and that is the ADM9 and subsequent versions thereof.

Ashley denounces all good hi-fi including AVI's own range of fine 'legacy' products.

£100-£120 will get you an old pair of Mission 751 freedom speakers

way below your budget but hard to beat .... front ported and work well on shelves

I'm on a similar quest myself (for an office system with lesser electronics: Apple lossless files > Aune DAC > original Rega Brio). My wish list, based on recommendations rather than experience, is currently Audio Note AX-1, Rega R1/RS1, and Totem Dreamcatcher. I have had and can recommend the Silverline Audio Minuet. It's a very small, rear-ported speaker, and, in my experience, is unfussy about placement and sounds much bigger than its size. I now have Cambridge Audio S30s, which are very cheap but, in terms of performance, are not embarrassed by the Minuets (for background music in an office, anyway).

I'm on a similar quest myself (for an office system with lesser electronics: Apple lossless files > Aune DAC > original Rega Brio). My wish list, based on recommendations rather than experience, is currently Audio Note AX-1, Rega R1/RS1, and Totem Dreamcatcher. I have had and can recommend the Silverline Audio Minuet. It's a very small, rear-ported speaker, and, in my experience, is unfussy about placement and sounds much bigger than its size. I now have Cambridge Audio S30s, which are very cheap but, in terms of performance, are not embarrassed by the Minuets (for background music in an office, anyway).

I prefer front ported speakers when placing them on a bookshelf close to a back wall (from the bookshelf speakers that I have heard) ....

but suppose there are rear ported speakers that will work well

I had a similar problem and opted for PMC DB1+s, rear ported so need to be a distance from the wall - mine are on the PMC brackets. Very nice and more bass than seems possible. Secondhand (as mine were) should be under budget. My amplification is Naim (or at least started out that way).

Guy

Many thanks for all the recommendations so far!

julesd68: I'm not very fond of full range drivers - at least the ones I've heard. This one might be different, but since I can not audition it here in Slovenia, 400GBP is a bit too much to risk.

JTC: The Avis do look interesting. I have no problem in buying second hand / older Avi stuff - it has great reputation if anything. Will keep an eye if they pop up for sale. I'm in no particular hurry to be honest. Now as for buying a new Avi product from Ashley... not gonna happen :)

barrymidd: I've always liked the look of the Bluerooms. Are they OK sonically?

dim_span: Missions noted! Due to their low cost I'll look if I can find a pair locally (these older UK speakers are pretty scarce here though) - economically it doesn't quite add up to pay as much for posting as for the speakers themselves you see.

Afranta: Silverline audio minuet look interesting. Noted.

lostintheozone: How far out should they be? A couple of inches (5 or 6) could be doable...

Thanks again.

I prefer front ported speakers when placing them on a bookshelf close to a back wall (from the bookshelf speakers that I have heard) ....

but suppose there are rear ported speakers that will work well

I tend to agree -- although it can be difficult as some front ported and sealed speakers need as much space as rear ported speakers. The AX-1s are front ported, though.

The Harbeth P3 is a very beguiling and lively little speaker if you have the right amplification and it sounds like you do. I've owned a pair for over 10 years and every time I go back to them I think I'm glad I still have these. They love to driven though and sound best at 9/10ths with a serious amplifier up their arse. :D

Bearing in mind the OP asked for advice on LS to literally go on a bookshelf, .....

AVI Neutron 4's and 5's are rear ported.

ADM9t's are front ported and are ideally suited to bookshelf use, even if surrounded by books.

N5's are passive and cost £399 new atm so just in the OP's budget, but the other stuff is over budget on new pricing.

I have used N4's lots, with amp-paks fitted, positioned about six inches from a back wall, and I think they are one of the most useful LS ever made. I thought they were a great improvement over LS3/5a's.

Pro-nines, and Pro-nine+'s do come up on the second hand market as well.

JC.

As per title of the thread: I'm looking for bookshelf speakers - to be literally placed/used on bookshelves. I realise it's a compromise but unfortunatelly circumstances prevent "normal" positioning. Amplification is to be Avondale/Naim.

Budget - let's say up to 500 GBP.

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Usher S-520 (as long as the Naim part of the amp is not old school Naim).

Cyrus 780 would work well. Excellent sound and front ported.
£50 will get you a tatty black pair or hold out for a clean rosewood pair for about £80.
Then again if they literally sit between books the veneer doesn't matter.

advertisement

Back