advertisement

Bluesound Node 2i upgrades

Did this upgrade improve the streamer digital output, or just the analogue dac output?

Like Adam, I run mine into an external dac, so don't know if it made any difference to the analogue dac, sorry.

That's about £300.00 isn't it? To be honest, that's a step too far for me. That makes the board and the PSU more than I paid for the Node 2i. I've been happy spend a couple of hundred quid on getting better performance from the 2i, but I think that's as far as I'd go with the product.

A bit more, at about £330. I don't know how the Allo Shanti and Sbooster compare, but understand your reluctance - all I can say is that it was SO worthwhile for me.

Well, you have both indirectly answered my question, it does appear that the sound, even when using an outboard dac, does improve by a significant margin.

Like Adam, I run mine into an external dac, so don't know if it made any difference to the analogue dac, sorry.

A bit more, at about £330. I don't know how the Allo Shanti and Sbooster compare, but understand your reluctance - all I can say is that it was SO worthwhile for me.

On the Wam a couple of guys (The Flash and Four Legs) conducted a test of a number of linear power supplies connected up to a Node 2i and ran into an external DAC.

Both agreed that the Sbooster sounded better than the Allo Shanti, but not that much better than the difference in price.

The good thing is that a couple of different price points available should you wish to upgrade your Node 2/2i's power supply and both will deliver very good results.

Well, you have both indirectly answered my question, it does appear that the sound, even when using an outboard dac, does improve by a significant margin.

I have to say, I’m blown away by how good my Apple lossless files are, playing from a 256gb memory stick plugged into the back of the Bluesound then into my Weiss dac.

We are about to rollout a self-installation conversion kit for the Node2i, including an internal regulator board (replacing the original PSU) and an external 7V supply.
This will be published on our upcoming website, that should air just before XMAS.

ACtC-3can4xc2sSMNxIgeCVg9Yi3dZb1WoE_4yITgVrMEFCLlTWntg7sYFh5iCXpgLhYKu4uuqLbcOwoBEOXGTIYSZf521MFerOmKJzA77xMNXpNqmbI90A8RriazJSBWJEtPKdoh5w9YjoLdQ3mO0bZj098=w469-h833-no

Thanks for posting Teddy. Interested to know if this would benefit those of us who are just using our Bluesounds to output into a separate dac? Also any idea of the likely cost?

Hi this looks most Intriguing as per last enquiry would this offer the same level of benefit when used with an external dac? What costs are involved as well please?

Hey all - I have a Hegel 80 and just bought a used BlueSound Node 2 (not the 2i). I run a high quality coax to my amp (which has a good onboard DAC) and have compared it to running RCA out of the node and into the Hegel’s analog input. I’ve even switched the inputs mid-song to compare. The DAC on the BS isn’t even close to the Hegel’s (I know the 2i has a better DAC). It sounds a bit as though there were towels thrown over the speakers when using the BlueSound’s DAC. Everything is a bit more fuzzy, soundstage smaller. Vocals less piercing (precise), and instruments less detailed.

For those that are interested, here is what I am using:
AudioQuest Carbon Coax interconnect
AudioQuest Big Sur RCAs

Hegel H80
Totem Sttaf speakers

FWIW, the BlueSound is an amazing little device. The app is pretty slick (it’s not Roon but it’s pretty good), and it’s not so expensive that you’ll cringe to replace it when better streamers come out in a few years. But to be honest, I would invest in a separate DAC, or an amp with a good DAC section. At least that’s my experience wth the Node 2 (again, I haven’t tried the 2i).

After running my Bluesound Node 2i for a couple
of months, I’m just bowled over by how good it is.

I do wonder to what extent modifications will benefit different external dacs? Mine is known to be very effective at suppressing jitter (Weiss DAC202) hence asking.

Node 2i does Tidal Connect, Amazon Music, plus the usuals, Tidal, Roon etc. Two way bluetooth, remote learning, sleep, LED intensity (dim) APTXHD (I think), wireless headphone... It's not Roon but it's free. A few minor gripes but actually awesome.

We are about to rollout a self-installation conversion kit for the Node2i, including an internal regulator board (replacing the original PSU) and an external 7V supply.
This will be published on our upcoming website, that should air just before XMAS.

ACtC-3can4xc2sSMNxIgeCVg9Yi3dZb1WoE_4yITgVrMEFCLlTWntg7sYFh5iCXpgLhYKu4uuqLbcOwoBEOXGTIYSZf521MFerOmKJzA77xMNXpNqmbI90A8RriazJSBWJEtPKdoh5w9YjoLdQ3mO0bZj098=w469-h833-no
For those that might be interested, this is now available I gather... The website will be updated soon but Yair has said that they are now in stock...

For those that might be interested, this is now available I gather...
Teddy Pardo is a kit including a PS. If you just get the interface, (£70-150) you can then plug in your own PS and decide how much you want to invest in the PS. I bet an iFi would be nan improvement anyway, then there are any number of power supplies or batteries even for a possible notable increase in SQ. It's an opportunity for PS makers to sell up but with just the interface you have all kinds of possibilities, second hand bargains, DIY and why not batteries.

Teddy Pardo is a kit including a PS. If you just get the interface, (£70-150) you can then plug in your own PS and decide how much you want to invest in the PS. I bet an iFi would be nan improvement anyway, then there are any number of power supplies or batteries even for a possible notable increase in SQ. It's an opportunity for PS makers to sell up but with just the interface you have all kinds of possibilities, second hand bargains, DIY and why not batteries.
Thanks, but I actually already have a fidelity audio interface and an Sbooster power supply, I was pointing it out more for others but am curious about TP products having never owned any, and am slightly tempted to look into the cost of selling what I've got and trying the TP version. Certainly the iFi did nothing for me.

I was pointing it out more for others
So was I. I think it is $600 ish (not sure what import charges are now though). I took the "module" to be the replacement board, then you are putting 5V of whatever you want in. TP is all in one, no changing the supply or experimenting like you can with the other two variants.

And that is enough to put me off the Teddy Pardo version, it’s effectively locking you into their own PSU.

advertisement

Back