advertisement

Bloody Journalists

Absolutely. In much the same way as ‘if there’s one cohort of people who really ought to be above suspicion of corruption, it is politicians, surely?’
Well, perhaps policemen not politicians? Politicians aren't engaged with the specific purpose of rooting out ne'erdowells. Plod is, and should therefore ensure that ne'erdowells can't do well, in much the same way that wordsmiths ought to have a care for the words they, er, smith.

It matters because journalists who are so lazy and ignorant they can’t even get basic facts right in a short headline, shouldn’t be in the profession. You work in academia, I doubt you’d tolerate a paper, or a thesis with a title containing a glaring, lazy error.
Amusingly my thesis contained one of those. Despite my reading the wretched thing countless times and having it read through by a trained proofreader (Mrs H), it slipped through the net. Fortunately the examiners missed it too.

Amusingly my thesis contained one of those. Despite my reading the wretched thing countless times and having it read through by a trained proofreader (Mrs H), it slipped through the net. Fortunately the examiners missed it too.
It was probably too hot to concentrate, or they were in the pub, or something.

I was being facetious when I mentioned rockets upstream. The black (actually dark blue) BBMF Hurricane PZ 865 is equipped with 4 x 20mm cannon. It was the last Hurricane to be built, and is the one depicted in all our childhood Airfix kits as 'The last of the many'.

The Hangar 11 collection at North Weald has an actual 'Hurribomber'.

I was being facetious when I mentioned rockets upstream. The black (actually dark blue) BBMF Hurricane PZ 865 is equipped with 4 x 20mm cannon. It was the last Hurricane to be built, and is the one depicted in all our childhood Airfix kits as 'The last of the many'.

The Hangar 11 collection at North Weald has an actual 'Hurribomber'.
I was offered a job there back in 2006. Peter Teichman called me at home, and we chatted for about half an hour. I’d become jaded with the civvie aviation scene and wanted a change. He said I’d have ample opportunities to fly, do air to air photography… sounded great. And then the pay was mentioned… £7/hr. He apologised, mentioned that air shows were on overtime etc etc, but it just doesn’t pay the bills.
That was a real shame, but with the whole air show scene dying a slow death in the U.K. it was probably for the best.

Hulton-Harrop lies not half a mile from where I'm sitting. I visit his grave once in a while, very thought-provoking.

And his plane crashed not too many miles from where I live. I can’t find an exact location.

And where I work is where the first bombing raid on the enemy took off from. Didn’t go well.

advertisement

Back