advertisement

Bloody Journalists

and shrugs shoulders........it doesn't matter
Oh- just stop being a cock, and engage: say, with stuff others here take an interest in.

It's a very, very broad church here.

Since you only seem to understand specifics, here's one close to home: I dare-say few might take your engagement with alcohol & pleasure as seriously as you do.

Should ..the restofus 'shrug our shoulders' when you have something you'd like read, as a wholly-positive contribution?

For a person who appeals widely in-threads, to 'who you are'/'what you contribute': at times you are astonishingly short-sighted.

& that's not 'ad-hom' - that's honest, uninvolved personal observation. Show me otherwise & I'll withdraw any specifics you dislike. ATB.

It matters because journalists who are so lazy and ignorant
I let you start as an intern at your local paper and see how lazy journalists are. They will certainly welcome you, because few people are crazy enough to make a master’s degree at something and then work twelve hours a day. For peanuts, usually.

At best, do your internship during the period of meetings of the local councils. Several evenings per week you have to attend those bloody meetings until late in the evening, because you never know in advance whether, say, the budget of that 200-people village will be accepted. On Sundays, instead of going somewhere with your friends or family, you have the honour to comment on the referee’s decisions at the game FC Burnley III vs. the juniors of FC Clitheroe. How glamourous.

Things are now going totally out of hand with the evolution in the media. Average journalists (writers), when they are in the field, are asked to make (usually terrible looking) films, photos and interviews, to feed the website. With their cell phones… Advertising money is dwindling, so there’s no budget for recruiting more staff, and those who are already there get exploited to the bone.

My girlfriend is a journalist and press photographer, I hear her stories day by day. She’s 51 and she has nevertheless quit her job at our local newspaper, without having another job yet. She was totally exhausted and has to preserve her health.

So much from me (us) about lazy journalists.

Last edited:
Oh- just stop being a cock, and engage: say, with stuff others here take an interest in.

It's a very, very broad church here.

Since you only seem to understand specifics, here's one close to home: I dare-say few might take your engagement with alcohol & pleasure as seriously as you do.

Should ..the restofus 'shrug our shoulders' when you have something you'd like read, as a wholly-positive contribution?

For a person who appeals widely in-threads, to 'who you are'/'what you contribute': at times you are astonishingly short-sighted.

& that's not 'ad-hom' - that's honest, uninvolved personal observation. Show me otherwise & I'll withdraw any specifics you dislike. ATB.

Have you found the ‘ignore’ button?

I let you start as an intern at your local paper and see how lazy journalists are. They will certainly welcome you, because few people are crazy enough to make a master’s degree at something and then work twelve hours a day. For peanuts, usually.

At best, do your internship during the period of meetings of the local councils. Several evenings per week you have to attend those bloody meetings until late in the evening, because you never know in advance whether, say, the budget of that 200-people village will be accepted. On Sundays, instead of going somewhere with your friends or family, you have the honour to comment on the referee’s decisions at the game FC Burnley III vs. the juniors of FC Clitheroe. How glamourous.

Things are now going totally out of hand with the evolution in the media. Average journalists (writers), when they are in the field, are asked to make (usually terrible looking) films, photos and interviews, to feed the website. With their cell phones… Advertising money is dwindling, so there’s no budget for recruiting more staff, and those who are already there get exploited to the bone.

My girlfriend is a journalist and press photographer, I hear her stories day by day. She’s 51 and she has nevertheless quit her job at our local newspaper, without having another job yet. She was totally exhausted and has to preserve her health.

So much from me (us) about lazy journalists.

Ha. I have a degree in print journalism. The industry felt on it's last legs when I graduated in the mid 90's. I still do the odd bit of music journalism, but a lot of the music press relies on 'interns' or fans prepared to work for free now. You seldom even get free hard copies as a reviewer any more.

I fancy being a journalist but, judging by the OP, not sure my IQ is low enough.

Going back to the OP, it's possible it isn't so much lazy journalism, as lazy subbing. The headline could have originally been written as '...iconic Hurricane, and jets...' perhaps, and an ignorant or lazy, or overworked sub just needed to lose a word or two.

Still an indication of the poor state of journalism today, though.

our local rag has two named journalists and then a whole bunch of group journalists working across 10 publications. There is one named group editor for the 11 publications in the wider region of Cambs, and Herts, and AFAIUI no subs

Going back to the OP, it's possible it isn't so much lazy journalism, as lazy subbing. The headline could have originally been written as '...iconic Hurricane, and jets...' perhaps, and an ignorant or lazy, or overworked sub just needed to lose a word or two.

Still an indication of the poor state of journalism today, though.

Subbing!? They don't even have an office or an editor, and don't know what a sub is! Next you'll be asking why didn't the telephone copy-taker catch it.

OK, in which case it is lazy, or perhaps overworked and under-attentive journalism then. Somebody owns that howler, and it's a journalist of some description.

OK, in which case it is lazy, or perhaps overworked and under-attentive journalism then. Somebody owns that howler, and it's a journalist of some description.
Or maybe it’s just a symptom of too many people not really giving a stuff about language any more, and not caring/realising that ‘plane’ and ‘jet’ aren’t synonyms?

edit: double negative corrected

Or maybe it’s just a symptom of too few people not really giving a stuff about language any more, and not caring/realising that ‘plane’ and ‘jet’ aren’t synonyms?
Granted. But if there's one cohort of people who really ought to give a stuff about language, it is journalists (and others who earn their living by using it) surely?

There was a recent article in the Daily Telegraph about Lt General Sir Brian Horrocks in which there was a photo of him studying a map with two other men. One of them, Field Marshall Bernard Montgomery, was referred to as 'an Allied Field Marshall', whilst the third officer remained unnamed. He was Prince Bernhard of The Netherlands, G.O.C Dutch Forces.

advertisement

Back