advertisement

Bletchley Park's bitter dispute over its future

I spent hours at bletchley talking to tony sale and got an unscheduled tour of the museum of computing despite it being closed.

that place only exists due to the enthusiasm of its volunteers.

Paul R,

Thanks for the link - its stomach churning to read. Basically BPT they are attempting to turn the site into a glisty’s “Commercial type venture” – in place of true hands-on enthusiastic knowledge…

This sums up the new direction nicely:-

“The volunteers, the anonymous guide claims, are to be removed from their posts in favour of technology – multimedia guides, a combination of eReader and audio playback system currently being rolled out at the Park – and video clips hosted by paid, professional actors”

And next step will be to have Mickey Mouse at the door for the younger visitors…

"Paul Evans, who has long acted as a volunteer guide for both Bletchley Park Trust and TNMOC, claims that fellow volunteers are actively discussed by Trust staff as “not fit for purpose.” A report in the Mature Times, written by an anonymous Trust volunteer, goes further and claims that Trust staff actively described modernisation plans as looking to “cull the old and infirm.”

The volunteers, the anonymous guide claims, are to be removed from their posts in favour of technology – multimedia guides, a combination of eReader and audio playback system currently being rolled out at the Park – and video clips hosted by paid, professional actors. “The intention is to eliminate any costs associated with volunteers,” it is claimed. “Highly trained and experienced tour guides will be replaced by minimally trained volunteers to cut out their travel expenses as they tend to come from further away, hardly a way to engage and motive the right people to give of their best.”

In short: while the Trust claims its modernisation plans are to be of benefit to visitors, its own guides – unpaid volunteers, it must be remembered, many of whom are experts in their field – see things very differently, leading to internal tensions that can explode as seen in the BBC’s report."

From "The Register" comments section:-

"Bletchley had actually a soul through these volunteers, the exhibitions came alive because of their dedication. I won't bother visiting a sanitised entertainment site, sorry."

"I visited about 2 years ago, and the whole charm of the place was the best tour I've ever had anywhere from someone who truly had passion for the place. We got the whole story, in a perfect setting. Sure the huts need a little TLC, but a glitzy visitors centre is not what is wanted here.

The computing museum, helped to bring the story of the past up to date and was just as interesting as the main Bletchley tour. Also the Churchill museum was an integral part of the story, I understand that's now been removed. The toy museum, although cramped was just as interesting in transporting me back in time.

I would hate to see a sanitised version, cleaned up for the modern age, with tour guides who are no more than just workers doing a job. It's the guides who really made the day, people like that with memories of how it was won't be around for ever and the trust would be well advised to keep them as long as possible. The trust wouldn't exist if it wasn't for those guides keeping the place alive.

I half expect a gift shop with tea-towels and jam is probably on the agenda as well!"

"Pournelle's Iron Law:- Iron Law of Bureaucracy

In any bureaucracy, the people devoted to the benefit of the bureaucracy itself always get in control and those dedicated to the goals the bureaucracy is supposed to accomplish have less and less influence, and sometimes are eliminated entirely.

Sums it all up rather well, doesn't it?"

Paul R,

Thanks for the link - its stomach churning to read.

"Paul Evans, who has long acted as a volunteer guide for both Bletchley Park Trust and TNMOC, claims that fellow volunteers are actively discussed by Trust staff as “not fit for purpose.” A report in the Mature Times, written by an anonymous Trust volunteer, goes further and claims that Trust staff actively described modernisation plans as looking to “cull the old and infirm.”

Yes, the current tory / lib-dim policy on the sick and disabled benefit recipients.

I hope this story goes viral.

IAIN STANDEN...Knighthood in 5...4...3...

Glad I went 6 years ago before he turned up. The fact is that Bletchley Park hasnt got as much good stuff as TNMOC. When I went we spent 75% of the time at TNMOC over the Bletchley Park site as a whole. Had there not been a 8bit computing festival on at the time it would have been maybe half an hour.

I reckon they want to get TNMOC shut down so they can 'pinch' all the good stuff to get it all under one sanitised and soulless roof.

Then any spare space can be sold off for housing...

Love this comment:-

"How ironic it is that people are being prevented from seeing a vital piece of the history of Hitler's defeat by exactly the kind of banally evil bureaucrat he would have loved."

A large part of the site has already gone for housing, the area out the back where they had all the Radar and Navaids stuff when I was there as a B.O.T apprentice in 1968. It``t true that it wasn`t an integral part of the original but there are still a lot of derelict huts (or were a couple of years ago) which I expect could be bulldozed and turned into profit. There isn`t enough in the codebreaking section to warrant the trip for a lot of people but allied with TNMOC it`s great and the Colossus bridges the gap between the two.
The current management seem likely to p**s the lottery money away on bodged rennovations and pointless new work whilst losing all the people who actually know anything about the history.

Thanks for the link - its stomach churning to read. Basically BPT they are attempting to turn the site into a glisty’s “Commercial type venture” – in place of true hands-on enthusiastic knowledge…
But it's not that simple, now that the Lottery has chucked millions of pounds at them and a glitzy commercial 'attraction' is expected to result.

And that's not necessarily a bad thing, whatever you or I think.

The big problem is that Colossus and the other Tunny equipment reconstructions that are under the TNMOC umbrella are absolutely essential parts of BP as a museum. The other (separately accessed) parts of TNMOC aren't.

So the two organisations need to get their shit together, and BPT needs to make the first move, AFAICT.

FWIW TNMOC is well worth a visit, and you don't have to visit the rest of the park. Not open every day, unfortunately. Which is another thing they should get their shit together about.

Paul

I heard about the old volunteers being pushed out and I think it stinks. Does anyone know if it's still possible to get a tour in the old way before the glitzy new regime take over?

Follow the money: is the land worth a bob or two ?
Seriously it is disgusting: it would not happen in France or even in Putin's Russia FGS.

Now to join TNMOC, it would be very nice to be able to get involved in the smelly old hardware.

TNMOC is a truly superb place and staffed by volunteers who really know their stuff. These old guys are not 'tour guides', they are folk who played a very real part in the history of computing. It is exactly what I feel a museum should be: a place staffed by real experts of that field telling the story as they feel it should be told and with the aim of keeping as much kit as is humanly possible up and running. It looks like the most wonderful computer junk shop one could imagine, which is of course exactly what such a place should look like. It is very far indeed from a slick modern dumbed-down 'multimedia visitor experience', which is why it is so good.

I went down for the day last year with the rest of the MOSI SSEM volunteers and got the full 'in-depth geek-tour':

9196461884_4be91deaee_o.jpg

A PDP-8. There are some astounding exhibits, Colossus, obviously, but for me the real star was the Harwell Dekatron:

9196461064_dfa49cca3b_o.jpg

It was up and running and I got to single step it through part of a program.

They really do have everything there: from Colossus to a Cray! So much of it still works too, and it only works because of the volunteers keeping it working. No volunteers and all this stuff becomes a static display overnight. I can't recommend the place highly enough.

TNMOC is a truly superb place and staffed by volunteers who really know their stuff.
I agree. I dragged the family round last summer. The Dekatron was a bit under the weather on the day.

One of the problems with a computer museum is what to do with the equipment from a public perspective, if you get it running mostly it just sits there and hums. (The Dekatron being an exception.) TNMOC transcends this issue in many of its exhibits.

Paul

advertisement

Back