advertisement

Bletchley Park's bitter dispute over its future

JohnW

pfm member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25916048

After watching the short video - does anyone else despise the "New" management style of Bletchley Park?

Personally what's so upsetting is how "New Management direction" just throws away the dedication and loyalty of those who have given a good portion of there life supporting Bletchley Park – and for what it achieved for the British people.

I feel so much for the tour guide who'd just been fired during the filming…. and then listening to that heartless Iain Standen, (CEO) justifying there action… disgusting…

You can bet that as soon as funds run dry – the management will scamper back into the holes they crawled out from… :mad:

That is truly shocking and unbelievable. I have been there and experienced the wonderful knowledge and enthusiasm of the volunteer guides, who have kept the place running. Bonkers!

its a shame someone doesnt have a view of the future that honours the past.

money brings with it a certain type.

^ Indeed, bean counters, control freaks, two dimensional thinkers and finally trough feeders!

Who is the unnamed spokesperson at 02:00?

Heartless Dratsab.

That is truly shocking and unbelievable. I have been there and experienced the wonderful knowledge and enthusiasm of the volunteer guides, who have kept the place running. Bonkers!

Yes - you summed it up... just heart breaking...

^ Indeed, bean counters, control freaks, two dimensional thinkers and finally trough feeders!

Who is the unnamed spokesperson at 02:00?

Heartless Dratsab.

Yes, I'd like to know - I'd give him a call too express in no uncertain terms what I think of him!

That's disgraceful, I agree that it's the volunteers that make that place work as the level of enthusiasm and knowledge they have can't be bought.

They should get Baroness Trumpington on the case I'm sure she wouldn't roll over easily and would be happy to bring up the issue in the Lords.

What a sniveling little smug shite, he's an ex Royal Signals officer and as Ex signals myself I'm disgusted that he is associated with them. Very tempted to make a phonecall and complain now

wziu.jpg

http://www.bletchleypark.org.uk/content/about/BPTrust/IainStanden.rhtm

IAIN STANDEN, CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER

"He has a lifelong interest in history and heritage, and has been an active battlefield guide for some 25 years."

Well there you go - a "Battle Guide"....

Where's his respect for those who have dedicated so much to supporting Bletchley Park?

“What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
And a sentimentalist, my dear Darlington, is a man who sees an absurd value in everything, and doesn't know the market place of any single thing.

A middle way must exist https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Oscar_Wilde confused:

There's a 'Contact' tab on the BP website. I suggest a strongly worded (but polite) statement of views on recent events might have some impact.

His Facebook profile reads like someone who has a very unhealthy obsession with all things military and also points to very right wing views.

Mull

Kind of amusing to make that a negative trait in the context of the future of a wartime establishment!

In my mind, there's a difference between an interest, and an unhealthy obsession. Also BP is as much about technology as it is about armed conflict and AIUI was largely staffed by civilians.

I also note that his Facebook profile indicates an interest in 'Supporting the Police against the London Rioters' I'd have more trust in someone 'Looking for reasons for the London Riots'

Finally two out of three of his major music interests are The Who and Led Zep although he claims some interest in Classical (no doubt Wagner :) ) , indicating a narrow view of music to match his narrow view of the world.

There. Complete and definitive analysis. Job done.

Mull

What a crappy piece of journalism.

It's not actually, the dispute is very real and long-running. There is a considerable amount of face-saving revisionism occurring via BPT management after the BBC footage blew it all open to a wider audience. There's some content on The Register here, the interesting stuff is in the comments section where a few people who are actually involved have a say.

It really needs sorting out properly as the NMOC is an essential resource and can't be placed at risk by incompetent management at BPT.

The report doesn't tell me anything about the dispute, hence its crappy.

It's obviously inconsistent for the Colossus to be separated in ownership and management from the rest of the park including the Bombe, which we saw very nicely demonstrated by a volunteer last summer. It would also be inconsistent for the rest of TNMOC to be integrated into BP.

But I think there's a lot of jumping to conclusions going on in this thread, and people spending millions of lottery money have to account for it and follow the plan they were given the grant to follow.

Off to read The Register now.

(I'd like BP to remain the way it was when I first visited back in the 90s. Even 6 or 7 years ago when the MK Model Railway club still had a hut, and there was a fascinating collection of vintage cinema gear on show in another. But that's not consistent with being a 'visitor attraction' standing on its own financial feet.)

Paul

advertisement

Back