advertisement

Big integrated amplifier to drive linn isobariks

justshoemark

pfm Member
Hi all.
Looking to go to an integrated amplifier to run my linn isobarik speakers.
Maybe a big Japanese one or a musical fidelity nu vista something big I think.
I currently use a EAR 802 pre amp and musical fidelity f15 power amp to drive them.
Just looking to cut down on boxes for a while to save on space and easy for my wife to turn on.
Many thanks

Budget? I can think of plenty of things that might work but most of them cost a lot more than the briks will be worth nowadays.

Rega Osiris??

As long as you don't want huge volume, Briks are not that hard to drive. I heard them with a Nait2 years ago and it worked.

A bit more power does open them up though but most modern SS integrated amps are fairly powerful. I'm happy with the amps I have but if I needed to lose boxes the fist amps I'm be trying would be Rega. Both the IO and Brio-R I've heard are very good amps and I'd be keen to hear what the bigger ones could do.

Yamaha have a range of very good 200W amps that fly below the radar in used price but are very good indeed. I too heard a Nait 2 playing Briks, it sounded awful. I should have bought it anyway, he only wanted £100. I doubt I'd have it now, but I'd have done well out of it.

The nad looks nice must say.
Never seen one.
Never had a rega amp either.
I do have a sudden integrated it's a a28 MK2 I think. Never tried it with the linns.

The nad looks nice must say.
Never seen one.
Never had a rega amp either.
I do have a sudden integrated it's a a28 MK2 I think. Never tried it with the linns.
It's finding one. I had one and would still have it but the display was giving up and it was just impossible to find anyone to fix it. If one turned up that had been in a box for several years I'd buy it tomorrow.

Not sure that you’ll find a high watt output integrated for £1000. There is an Electrocompaniet ECI4 on eBay, which is 2 x 200W into 4 ohms. Seller states collection only and is in Cornwall, but does offer meet up options in the advert. Not sure where you’re based.

I have Electrocompaniet monos, and they’re very solidly built.

If you’re happy to delve into gear then this eBay seller has a lot of reconditioned Marantz gear, including this:

You’d need to ask questions about the level of servicing he’s done. The PM84 is highly regarded but runs in Class A for the first 30 odd watts. You’d need to make sure that nothing is fried on the inside.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Maybe the Cambridge audio 740a or 840a. A lot of amp for your money there.

Or the Musical Fidelity M6i ?

At the £1000 mark it's a bit of an ask though and your current kit is worth a bit more so expectations of maintaining quality may be unreasonable.

Krell KAV-300I is 150w into 8ohms doubling to 300w into 4ohms. Enjoying one right now - complete overkill for my 95db Altecs though, so probably going to sell it....

Reactions: irb
Many thanks for the replies. Yes I may find it hard to get the same quality that I get now but then I may not.
Interesting in your krell if you ever decide to sell @cupples.

advertisement

Back