1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Album Bake Off #5: Gaucho Vs The Nightfly

Discussion in 'music' started by windhoek, Apr 22, 2019.

?

Which is the better album?

Poll closed Apr 22, 2019.
  1. Gaucho

40.0%
  2. The Nightfly

60.0%
  1. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

Okay, shit's about to get real: Gaucho by Steely Dan Vs The Nightfly by Donald Fagen - good luck!

2. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Golly, do I ever have a lot of soul!

Oooh, I actually know both of these! I was starting to feel really inadequate.

myles likes this.
  3. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

The Nightfly. Vs Aja it would have been different.

4. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems

close.

christray likes this.
  5. billo

billo pfm Member

Too close to call, a score draw after extra time and may have to go to penalties which would be a pity to have to criticise one for not being the other.

windhoek likes this.
  6. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

Great post-too close to call- BOTH!:)

irons1965 likes this.
  7. manicatel

manicatel pfm Member

On sound quality alone, Gaucho.
    However the slightly more uptempo feel of Nightfly means that sometimes I’m in the mood for Gaucho, sometimes Nightfly.
    Or Aja, or Countdown, or Pretzel, or.........................

Tarzan likes this.
  8. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Nightfly for me. The bass playing/sound just knocked me out when I first heard it. It was my entry-point into Steely Dan, though when I got to Aja shortly after I realised I’d heard a lot of it already.

I’ve no idea why given it was such an early digital recording, but Nightfly on vinyl sounds astonishingly good. I have a promo-stamped UK 1st press and it regularly comes out for a spin.

DAVEDWACK likes this.
  9. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Like most of the other polls, I've heard neither so haven't voted. I must say it's been a strange selection of albums on the whole.

Tarzan likes this.
  10. windhoek

If you haven't heard many of the albums in the polls that probably explains why my choices seem strange. I'm happy to hand over the selections to anyone else who wants to see how it fares in a poll against another album so please feel free to do so - it could become a regular feature of the music forum :)

11. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Golly, do I ever have a lot of soul!

ie one has Mark Knopfler on it but the other doesn’t?

12. windhoek

Oh, that's harsh lol

13. Andrew C!

Andrew C! Been around a while....

I like Knopfler. There, said it.

14. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Indeed. I've always been very disappointed in the CD version which is pretty meh...

15. irons1965

irons1965 pfm Member

Definitely feel the same - Mind you Gaucho has got 'Third World Man' on it.

16. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

Sort yourself man.:D

Pedro83 likes this.
  17. MichaelC

MichaelC pfm Member

It’s a nigh on impossible call, Gaucho -v- Nightfly.

Nightfly as a whole is damn fine, but side one of Gaucho is sublime.

Give me Aja though!

18. Pedro83

Pedro83 pfm Member

Which version do you own? There are some very good sounding NF CDs. I had a German target Nightfly CD many years ago which was great on the ear, vinyl has proven to be better but the CD isn't totally shamed.

19. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

The Nightfly CD is cut very low compared to modern CDs and for my taste lacking a little if the bass warmth/weight of the vinyl, but I’d still rate it as very decent.

I don’t think this one has been remastered aside from the DVD Audio and SACD versions. There is some suggestion that the Japanese and WG ‘targets’ are subtly different, though as I understand it all other copies are the WG ‘target’ minus the label paint job.

I recently ordered the hybrid SACD out of curiosity as a Japanese Amazon seller was doing it at a half-way reasonable price, so I’ll be curious to hear that when it lands. It allegedly sounds more like the vinyl, i.e. warmer/weightier.

20. Pedro83

Pedro83 pfm Member

The DVD-A sounds much better IMO (bags more presence/weight) compared to the WG Target. The DVD-A is the best digital version I have heard. The difference is quite remarkable and evident from the off.