advertisement

Big Album Bake Off #5: Gaucho Vs The Nightfly

Which is the better album?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Never that keen on Gaucho tbh.

Aja was always the pinnacle. Must have owned at least half a dozen copies on vinyl.

This one being the most played (has RL etched in the dead wax)

DSC03272.jpg

But much as I like Nightfly, Gaucho trumps it all day long for me - Title track and Babylon Sisters, Hey Nineteen... come on!!!

Never that keen on Gaucho tbh.

Aja was always the pinnacle. Must have owned at least half a dozen copies on vinyl.

This one being the most played (has RL etched in the dead wax)

DSC03272.jpg

Mine looks very similar, again with RL. What is your matrix number after the //? Mine is //2 both sides, I’ve never seen a //1. Apparently the first US is the one to have of this title, though I’ve never found one. The early pre-remaster CD is very good too, the UK silver-face MCA with a DML catalogue number actually being an uncredited Steve Hoffman mastering.

But to get there you have to get past ‘Where the rents are high and seabirds cry’ and ‘I’m pretty tough, but the wind is rough’ although I admit that could be Dan humour.
Looks trite when written down.
I've always thought the words to the song were self mocking myself.

What is your matrix number after the //?

HI tony. It's 2 - ABC L5225 A//2 (upside down triangle)E420 114 with RL etched above the music note abc graphic and an ! on side B

Maybe not all that rare but it really does sound better than any other copy I've ever heard.

One day maybe I'll get around to hearing these 2 as they were intended.... Both mint unplayed afaict...

dan-quad-crop.jpg

HI tony. It's 2 - ABC L5225 A//2 (upside down triangle)E420 114 with RL etched above the music note abc graphic and an ! on side B

Same copy as mine then, and yes it is a nice record. I’m pretty sure it is a UK 1st pressing as I’ve found no reference to a //1 and I’m pretty sure that is the earliest UK label design variant (later ones have ‘ABC Records’ rather than the musical note).

Quad stuff looks cool, often a very different sounding mix when played in stereo.

But much as I like Nightfly, Gaucho trumps it all day long for me - Title track and Babylon Sisters, Hey Nineteen... come on!!!
I have to agree, as you say there are some fantastic songs on Gaucho.
I had a VERY bad copy of Nightfly on the thinnest vinyl and it sounded as thin as the record. I've just bought a cd of it so am hoping there is more to it then I remember..

For Steely Dan buy the ‘80s early issue CDs, the ones with an unpainted silver label and black text. There are several variants and a few masterings depending on country, but as a rule of thumb there are no bad early issues and they definitely made things worse later with ‘no noise’, compression and degrading masters.

For Steely Dan buy the ‘80s early issue CDs, the ones with an unpainted silver label and black text. There are several variants and a few masterings depending on country, but as a rule of thumb there are no bad early issues and they definitely made things worse later with ‘no noise’, compression and degrading masters.
Well, I'll see which one I've got when my package arrives..!

I've only got "11 Tracks ..." but I certainly rate it as highly as the Nightfly. Never seems to get a mention anywhere . ..! No justice.
ML
"Circus Money" is also all you would expect, infectious bass grooves, insistent shuffles, crystalline backing vocals, gorgeous sax solos from that other era, streetwise lyrics delivered in throwaway Becker fashion. Some backing band .. yes, that man is a major loss.

For all that, I'd say Fagen's (& SD) albums have an extra something that makes them truly special. Magic dust, whatever.

advertisement

Back