advertisement

Bi-Wiring, is it still a "thing"?

you should be careful saying things like that. or you might get cancelled - just as the mob have been trying to do to J K Rowlings and others

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/12/08/us/2019-canceled-stories-trnd/index.html
The Rowling case is an extreme example - justified responses, I feel, to a publicly expressed prejudiced viewpoint. I don't think it's cancelling at all.

The way I see it, in #47 and #48 the posters are just fooling around, no malice intended (I hope). Yours, however, comes over somewhat less so, sorry to say.

The Rowling case is an extreme example - justified responses, I feel, to a publicly expressed prejudiced viewpoint. I don't think it's cancelling at all.

The way I see it, in #47 and #48 the posters are just fooling around, no malice intended (I hope). Yours, however, comes over somewhat less so, sorry to say.

Is she prejudiced, or just expressing an opinion that doesn't find favour with a lobby group who label all those who disagree with their views as "prejudiced", as opposed to engaging them in reasoned debate? Methinks the latter is closer to the truth.

The bass unit is a voltage generator, in a perfect world you could use two wires as they would have zero resistance but it isn’t and they do, so it’s better technically to run them separately back to the amplifier.

Some muddled thinking in there. Perhaps you can explain more - a diagram perhaps?

Is she prejudiced, or just expressing an opinion that doesn't find favour with a lobby group who label all those who disagree with their views as "prejudiced", as opposed to engaging them in reasoned debate? Methinks the latter is closer to the truth.

She's prejudiced, in my view. And what reasoned debate can you have with the prejudiced?

Anyway, I prefer active crossovers.

Well, I have a biwire set of K20 and a same length single wire set of K20. The biwire set sounds noticeably better to me than the single wire. Biwire sounds more open, real, etc.

The only thing I think in bi-wire's favour is that you can connect it to two separate amps. If you're not doing that, I doubt it has any real effect in practice. My speakers came with decent quality jumper cables so I single wired and am happy with the sound. I'm more intrigued by the additional earth connection each speaker has and whether to experiment with connecting it somewhere. Also interesting that amps don't have a specific 'earth' connection for speaker cable, in a way that might have been useful.

There's no real benefit for bi-wiring. Bi-amping is a different matter, and once upon a time I used to run a pair of speakers with two identical stereo amps. With some swapping of signal cables and the use of the power amps own chain outputs, I was able to effectively turn each stereo amp into a two-channel mono amp and put one on each speaker. Upsides: no crosstalk and bass current demand was split between two power supplies; Downside: theoretically I didn't have a matched pair of driver circuits (in reality, if I didn't they were close enough).

My current speakers don't have bi-wiring terminals, but then they're bookshelf types, and in any case I use a pair of mono amps these days. I only thing throwing amplifiers at speakers pays off for large floor-standing models where the bass drivers need a lot of feeding.

Maybe it's just me, but...
Star grounding may be a misleading label in this case but an effect exists. However when I computer simulated and then actually tested bi-wiring many years ago I found that in real cases it is far too small to worry about compared to other loudspeaker behaviour.

Star grounding reduces impedance shared between circuits. Common impedance = Zcommon. Thus star grounding minimizes "common impedance coupling": voltages added in series to one circuit resulting from currents in another: v1' = v1 + Zcommon * i2. You need Z common -> 0 if this coupling matters.

In loudspeakers the crossover networks mostly isolate the driver currents in the frequency domain anyway - except around the crossover region where there may be very minor influence on frequency response from common impedance. There's a page from @Jim Audiomisc about bi-wiring here that illustrates the effect and its magnitude.

Idiot

Explain what you are on about or go away. I am an Electronic Engineer. Are you?

Wow, if you are that arrogant and cannot see why bi wiring is sensible in a system with high currents flowing then I will go away. If you go the the DIY room there are several amplifiers there designed by me, I don’t remember seeing any from you, when I designed them I spent a lot of time thinking how to layout the board so as the voltage drops do not affect the system, probably as much time as I do simulating them on LTSpice. Perhaps you should go and look at some pictures of wet tants.

Trying to tell us that Woofers are voltage generating back into a low impedance output and creating 'ground bounce' (a feature of high speed switching digital circuits) is nonsense.

I notice that you have STILL not provided ANY explanation of your theory. If you want to help others in your believe on biwiring then it behooves you to explain it properly.

We are all waiting with bated breath.

Trying to tell us that Woofers are voltage generating back into a low impedance output and creating 'ground bounce' (a feature of high speed switching digital circuits) is nonsense.

I notice that you have STILL not provided ANY explanation of your theory. If you want to help others in your believe on biwiring then it behooves you to explain it properly.

We are all waiting with bated breath.

Stop digging!, the amplifiers damping factor is to take care of the back EMF of the bass unit. A bass unit drawing a high current will produce a voltage drop across a cable of finite resistance.

advertisement

Back