advertisement

Bi wire or improve supplied links

innuendo

pfm Member
As a bit of a bi wire non believer or understander have been running my old speakers with original metal terminal links But as time is on my hands contemplated the idea of replacing them with posh and hopefully improved sound connecting links

Sounds like good way of idling-away time and spending a few bob, but other than that..............................

Clean and tight at the terminals? JD.

No need for new cable or links- connections can deteriorate over time:
Cut off the plugs (to a couple of inches) then solder new plugs onto the now shiny cable ends.
I'm convinced when I did that it made an improvement (though a very small improvement and may have been my imagination).

Personally wouldn’t bother with either option.
I’ve never “got” Bi-Wiring.
Bi-Amping, yes by all means, but no bi wiring.
Why spend out on two lots of ok cable when you could spend the same money on one much better cable?
Plus, there are many who believe that a cable is just a cable.
As long as the supplied links are corrosion free, nice & clean & securely in place, I wouldn’t bother with fancy-pants alternatives.
There’s got to be better ways of spending a bit of spare cash.

Bugger was hoping for magic improvements ,ahh well thanks for keeping me in touch with sanity,this strange time plays with your mind

Bugger was hoping for magic improvements ,ahh well thanks for keeping me in touch with sanity,this strange time plays with your mind
I’d experiment with making up some shotgunned links from a short length of speaker cable and the requisite plugs and sockets. That did, in my experience, improve on the regular jumpers.

Open speaker terminal and connect both wires to one pair.

If you've got a removable terminal panel this is by far the simplest and best thing to do.

If not then the next best thing is 'F' plugs. Solder one plug at right angles to the end of the cable and another part way along the cable, spaced so that it can go into the lower socket on the speaker. This does away with the links and gives you a better connection. Yes, you can hear it.

My Proac D15s came with little metal connecting rods, maybe nickel plated. I went for a variation on the 'F' plugs option just stripping the cable at the end and a little way along and poked it through the holes on both sets of binding posts. I then screwed them up tight to reduce oxidation. I think it made a small improvement but as it was free it was worth the effort anyway.

links can make a big difference , well worth investing in some decent ones . 30 quid gets you these

https://www.markgrantcables.co.uk/u.../jumper-cables-4mm-van-damme-spade-to-banana/

these are rolls royce !

https://www.hifi-forsale.co.uk/more...mper_cables&p=audiolead&prod_id=84297&offset=

I have found the same as Hifinutt.
In addition 'diamond' wiring also had an audible benefit In my system https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/diamond-wiring-and-mixed-jumper-speaker-cables.228790/

The standard biwire jumpers are usually crap, anything decent will often improve.
Best solution described above by Pig.

advertisement

Back