advertisement

'Diamond-wiring' and mixed Jumper/speaker cables

andrews

pfm Member
Dear All

I have previously posted my findings aboutthe use of 'better' jumpers with 'lower' speaker cables (in my case Tellurium Q Silver Diamond and Ultra Black)
https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum...ables-a-cheap-er-upgrade.222659/#post-3547512

I came acrross the concept of 'dimaond -wiring' as outlined here
https://www.pursuitperfectsystem.com/are-you-diamond-wiring-your-speakers.html

There are the usuall polarised discussions on another forum, but I gave it a go - and can report a further (subtantial) benefit(vide infra).

I have no idea why - but would be intetested if anyone else has a similar experience?

IMG_8695 by visitdetails, on Flickr

NB No rug comments please

dateposted-public

Proac, explained their reasoning to a member of another forum-to help stop staff shorting out the leads when swapping speakers in demos

I use this wiring pattern when with bi-wireable speakers based on a recommendation from Bob Surgeoner at Neat. Wherever possible I use jumpers instead of the supplied links. I have mixed and matched jumpers and cables of different types before, but never really tried to listen for differences. Maybe I'll give that a go sometime.

Does the length of the 'crossovers' make a difference ?
I have tried the diamond configuration using shortest possible link pieces, and that made no difference compared with the normal simple Left/Right arrangement.
Both cases were using decent cable (VD LCOFC) for the links.

Proac, explained their reasoning to a member of another forum-to help stop staff shorting out the leads when swapping speakers in demos

Isn’t it amazing how a bit of common sense gets bastardised by audiophiles into something that “sounds better”

I must be having one of those days, why would this prevent shorting the leads, is it due to the greater physical distance between the two (diagonal) terminals?

Last edited:
If there is any advantage to diamond wiring would it not depend entirely on xover design.

What is the electronic reasoning behind diamond wiring? (if any as alluded to by the proac reference, although I have never hot-wired any HiFi in my life)

Manufacturer's should just stop putting biwire connections on
The madness never ends

Agreed. Punters want them and think there’s some sort of benefit. So manufacturers add them, even though they know (or ought to know) there isn’t one. So more expense and parts, even if not by a lot, instead of something that actually matters.

If speakers have an active option add more posts, if not don’t bother

I use this wiring pattern when with bi-wireable speakers based on a recommendation from Bob Surgeoner at Neat. Wherever possible I use jumpers instead of the supplied links. I have mixed and matched jumpers and cables of different types before, but never really tried to listen for differences. Maybe I'll give that a go sometime.

some while ago spent considerable time trying jumpers from vertex Aq, analysis plus , chord signature , and a good many others . they all sounded very different [ using analysis big silver oval cable at the time] the signature gave me the sound i prefered and i tend to stick to those although i have some TQ black on the tannoys at the moment .

I must be having one of those days, why would this prevent shorting the leads, is it due to the greater physical distance between the two (diagonal) terminals?
I would assume so, either way they were agnostic about any other benefit.

Agreed. Punters want them and think there’s some sort of benefit. So manufacturers add them, even though they know (or ought to know) there isn’t one. So more expense and parts, even if not by a lot, instead of something that actually matters.

Some manufacturer's I've asked said its purely for marketing reasons

Biwire is a con

The best speakers I've heard weren't biwired

What is the electronic reasoning behind diamond wiring? (if any as alluded to by the proac reference, although I have never hot-wired any HiFi in my life)
To speculate circuit-wise, "diamond wiring" a two-way will share the two jumpers' impedances between the two drivers/crossovers. One jumper will be in series with the tweeter/tweeter crossover and one jumper in series with the woofer/woofer crossover. As opposed to both in series with just one driver/crossover.

The arrangement may seem attractive for apparent balance reasons. But that will, as you write, depend on crossover/driver details. I would really hope for jumper impedances to be low enough to make no appreciable difference either way.

Actually there can be something to biwiring... but it's slight. Unlike jumpers which cannot make a difference beyond what the listeners imagination adds...

By providing in effect a star termination between the speakers and amp it can help avoid intermodulation between the HF and LF crossovers. However, it will only be any advantage, and then only very slight, if speaker cables are long and thin..... which you should be trying to avoid! There is a risk then though of ending up with an imbalance between bass and treble if the bass driver impedance is well lower than that of the tweeter and its crossover section.
For thick speaker cable of a few metres it ain't going to do anything...

Conclusion:

Can biwiring make a difference? - Yes but it's very slight and may be for the worse.

Using the terminology of ‘Diamond Wiring’ is all that this is about, just another bit of BS to promote X-over cable link sales. If a user is desperate to try eliminate the dual inputs, open up the rear terminal / x-over cover and hardwire / solder them together.

As John (Philips) writes above, one would hope* that pretty much any jumper cables would have such a low impedance that it wouldn’t make any difference if you connected the cables to the tweeter inputs, the woofer outputs or ‘diamond’ wired.

* in fact it’s hard to see how this would not be the case.

Using the terminology of ‘Diamond Wiring’ is all that this is about, just another bit of BS to promote X-over cable link sales. If a user is desperate to try eliminate the dual inputs, open up the rear terminal / x-over cover and hardwire / solder them together.

So far as I can tell, the term 'Diamond Wiring' is an invention of Pursuit Perfect and has to do with generating clicks rather than selling speaker links. Speaker links aren't expensive. Modifying speakers from the manufacturer's original specs can be expensive.

advertisement

Back