advertisement

Better than Tannoys...?

The sensitivity difference is often merely down to anechoic or half space -we listen in half space, the latter giving a 3dB increase over anechoic- System 15 averaged over full bandwidth; 98db/2.83v@1m half space, 95db anechoic, though they also publish a 101dB/2.83v/1m figure in a publicity brochure which I'm sure is for a pair-who listens to one speaker....?

Last edited:
For my own part, and I will myself lose Fisher Points by admitting this, but I've settled on +1.5dB energy and +2dB roll-off (i.e. give me more!) as the best in-room balance from my Tannoys, and at that level I think they might well have the best overall balance I've heard in any speaker I've spent any significant time with, ever. .. :)
No points lost, the -energy preference thing applies to the pepperpot not the tulip....

Anechoic measurement and single speaker measurement makes totally sense to me because it is the standard but even if not, they are still telling BS with the impedance of 8 ohm. Nominal Impedance = 8 Ohm (tolerance -20%) = Impedance minimum 6.4 Ohm.;)

It should not be necessary to bi-wire any speaker, and if you do bi-wire you should use a specific bi-wirable cable, as in 4 wires in one single jacket. .

Thanks Graham for making this point, which has eventually led me to discover I was making a FALSE CLAIM in my previous post. The Eaton Legacy don't need bi-wire to sound right after all - I had followed the manual incorrectly all the time. In fact I'd tried every configuration except for the correct one!

Staggering how much time we can waste faffing around with these things. Apologies for spreading misinformation. And for any offence I caused to the single-wiring community!

At least I did discover (thanks to a loan from SeanM) that Graham is right: for whatever technical reason, a genuine pair of bi-wire cables does sound more natural than 2 pairs of equivalent cables, which seemed to be artificially brightening the sound.

Nice info regarding the 3833/36 driver!

Found this bit of info recently regarding the history of Tannoy DC loudspeakers.

http://ukhhsoc.torrens.org/makers/Tannoy/Reference/Tannoy_History.pdf

It doesn’t cover the System 600, 800, 1000 or 1200 Studio speakers which I think came out in the late 90’s. I believe the drivers were similar to what was used in the previous System 8, 10, 12 but with a different cabinet. System 1000 was my first Tannoy purchase which I still use today, lovely sounding speakers that put the nail in the coffin for my Quad ESL’s.

Really interesting article thanks for posting

advertisement

Back