advertisement

Best way to listen to Spotify.

How about this? I use a Sekrit DSM but it's essentially the same and sounds superb with Spotify using the Linn app or Spotify connect. Only slight pain is no inbuilt wi-fi so I used the BT WAP that came with my BT Hub.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
See if you can get your hands on an HRT iStreamer.

1.jpg

It is devoted to (raw data from) Apple OS and our HRT gave our CD-player - REGA APOLLO (WOLFSON) - a very good run for its money for many years. Of course, the REGA always won out - but at many times the price.

Ultimately, your streaming resolution will limit sound quality however - but the HRT iStreamer will take you well into redbook CD quality territory, if you can feed it such.

They should be available quite cheaply now... we still have two spare HRTs in our arsenal! 🤣

The iFi doesn't have a digital input.
I mean if you're sending over bluetooth then any other cheapish streamer with Spotify Connect (could be WIM Pro Plus) would be an upgrade.

Eversolo DMP-A6 seems a bit overkill with 320kbps MP3 but if switching to Apple Music the Eversolo does support lossless/hi-res via its native Apple app (no need for Airplay which downsamples to 256kbps AAC).

I use a laptop -> topping dac -> amp and find that Spotify sounds good, and pretty much identical to Tidal.

I did try phone to amp via Bluetooth previously and I didn't like it nearly so much (different amp with built in Bluetooth receiver and dac though).

I already use amazon music for the various Alexa devices. If it worth using with a Wiim into my system?

You could try a WiiM? Here’s the link to the quality of each service it supports. Cheap way to test the improvement. I use one for Amazon and others into my amp DAC. I’m not inclined to spend more. Sounds great.

Hello there,
I just got the chance to buy a second hand WiiM Pro for £90.
It has the TI PCM5121 DAC.

In your opinion, can the sound quality be good enough or is it better to combine it with an external DAC such as SMSL SU-1 or Topping E30 Lite with AKM 4493SEQ DAC (or upgrade to the Wiim Pro Plus itself, avoiding the use of an external DAC)?

Are the differences between DACs so macroscopic?
A few years ago I tried a Bluesound Node with and without Topping E30 (MK1) and the differences were subtle to my ears.

Thanks.
Mauro

Hello there,
I just got the chance to buy a second hand WiiM Pro for £90.
It has the TI PCM5121 DAC.

In your opinion, can the sound quality be good enough or is it better to combine it with an external DAC such as SMSL SU-1 or Topping E30 Lite with AKM 4493SEQ DAC (or upgrade to the Wiim Pro Plus itself, avoiding the use of an external DAC)?

Are the differences between DACs so macroscopic?
A few years ago I tried a Bluesound Node with and without Topping E30 (MK1) and the differences were subtle to my ears.

Thanks.
Mauro
Saw you buy that on the WAM. Good price. I have a Mini and use the DAC in my Audiolab 7000a amp in preference to the DAC in the Mini. In your shoes I’d just see how you like the Pro sound which is supposed to be better than the Mini and only buy an external DAC if you’re unhappy. I bet it’ll sound good, but we all have FOMO in this game! If you eventually decide to go Pro Plus I’ll buy the Pro off you to get coax….

I'm listening to it just now.

The sound is much better than the Bluetooth connection I was using before.

However my CD Player still sounds a bit better, bass is deeper, more dynamic and articulate, everything seems a little clearer.

I'm not sure if this is due to the quality of the internal DAC or if it is an inherent limitation of Spotify.

A comparison should be made with the Pro Plus or with an external DAC having the AKM 4493SEQ DAC (possible purchase from Amazon with consequent return if the difference is insignificant).

I just use the Spotify App on my iPhone, and if not using it as a portable device with IEMs and am at home, then I’ll use AirPlay to connect to my Allo DigiOne streamer (running Volumio), which in turn is connected to my DAC. Easy peasy and rock solid.

It is better I think to support artists and buy downloads from places that sell downloads. At the moment I mostly get my downloads from Bandcamp and benefit from the app and being able to download them in a handful of different formats. Most vinyl purchases are from there or my local independent records shops.

I'm listening to it just now.

The sound is much better than the Bluetooth connection I was using before.

However my CD Player still sounds a bit better, bass is deeper, more dynamic and articulate, everything seems a little clearer.

I'm not sure if this is due to the quality of the internal DAC or if it is an inherent limitation of Spotify.

A comparison should be made with the Pro Plus or with an external DAC having the AKM 4493SEQ DAC (possible purchase from Amazon with consequent return if the difference is insignificant).
This is what happens when your dealing with a lossy algorithm like Spotify. Everything is just less in comparison. Throwing parts of the music away is never a good thing.

iPad -> Spotify Connect -> BlueSound Node 2 -> coax -> Lyngdorf TDA-2170 -> ProAc D40R

or

laptop -> USB -> TEAC UD-501 -> TEAC HA-501 -> Sony MDR-MA900

Best way to listen to Spotify? Make a note of your entire playlist and albums. Get Tidal and input that list. Enjoy much better sound and say goodbye to a company that have been dangling a ‘hi-res‘ carrot at the audiophile community for 3 years without delivering. Charlatans in my book…..

Best way to listen to Spotify? Make a note of your entire playlist and albums. Get Tidal and input that list. Enjoy much better sound and say goodbye to a company that have been dangling a ‘hi-res‘ carrot at the audiophile community for 3 years without delivering. Charlatans in my book….
Yes, charlatans, but the only ones with a complete catalog of all the music I listen to.
I subscribed to Tidal some time ago, but I abandoned it due to the small catalog of prog music, which is what I listen to the most.

Rather I wonder if with the quality of Spotify I might be able to perceive the difference between WIIM Pro and Pro Plus or WIIM Pro+external DAC.

advertisement

Back