advertisement

Best way to listen to Spotify.

gerlando

Prog Rocker
Dear All,

Currently, my Spotify streaming is via iPhone connected to an iFi Audio Zen Bluetooth DAC.

I wanted to know if there is a way to improve the listening quality, which is currently significantly lower than that of a CD player, for example through the use of streaming devices such as Bluesound Node 2i or Audiolab 6000N.

Thanks.
Mauro

You could try a WiiM? Here’s the link to the quality of each service it supports. Cheap way to test the improvement. I use one for Amazon and others into my amp DAC. I’m not inclined to spend more. Sounds great.

Dear All,

Currently, my Spotify streaming is via iPhone connected to an iFi Audio Zen Bluetooth DAC.

I wanted to know if there is a way to improve the listening quality, which is currently significantly lower than that of a CD player, for example through the use of streaming devices such as Bluesound Node 2i or Audiolab 6000N.

Thanks.
Mauro
At this time Spotify is a little compressed compared the the hifi versions of Tidal, Qobuz etc. I think this may be the biggest barrier.

Unfortunately Tidal & Qobuz don't have a complete catalog of the titles that interest me the most.
That’s its advantage. I used it for years and prefer it on so many fronts but I can hear the difference.In the end I settled on Qobuz.

I use Spotify premium exclusively in the car - great choice of music, good connection and sounds great streaming from my iPhone through the custom audio system (wired, not Bluetooth).

As for Tidal and Qobuz, I’ve tried both but neither has anything like the depth of music I expect - there’s no point in having better quality if you can’t listen to half the music you want!

In the home I exclusively use vinyl - obviously.

You could try a WiiM? Here’s the link to the quality of each service it supports. Cheap way to test the improvement. I use one for Amazon and others into my amp DAC. I’m not inclined to spend more. Sounds great.

This Wiim seems interesting.
Do you yhink the Wiim Mini is good enough?
It has Spotify Connect.

This Wiim seems interesting.
Do you yhink the Wiim Mini is good enough?
It has Spotify Connect.
I’m not qualified to answer fully. I’ve not tried the DAC in the WiiM. If you have a DAC you like that does optical then I’d say yes. Bit perfect with all sources is the claim.

I use Spotify with the Wiim Mini into my Topping DAC as my main digital source via my phone, granted it is mainly vinyl at home and Spotify in the van but it's as good a home digital solution as I'll ever need.

Used as a digital transport purely for Spotify there is no real SQ difference into an external DAC between the Wiim mini & Pro. The differences come down to desired functionality and connectivity options, wifi and optical/3.5 analogue out only for the Mini, wifi/RJ45 + Optical/Coax/RCA out for the Pro.

I listen to Spotify on my NDS. There is nothing wrong with the SQ even at 320bps. Tried Tidal free trial but was unimpressed and went back to Spotify.

Cue obvious comment:
”That’s an expensive way to listen to lossy mp3s”

Try it, is my answer to that. ;). How music is recorded an mastered plays a bigger part in SQ than bps IM humble O.

I listen to Spotify on my NDS. There is nothing wrong with the SQ even at 320bps. Tried Tidal free trial but was unimpressed and went back to Spotify.

Cue obvious comment:
”That’s an expensive way to listen to lossy mp3s”

Try it, is my answer to that. ;). How music is recorded an mastered plays a bigger part in SQ than bps IM humble O.
Spotify sounds superb on my system. I'll take app quality, range of music any day over the lossless offerings

I’m looking forward to the cd quality version of Spotify. It doesn’t sound as good as Qobuz on my hifi. The soundstage generally narrows and detail is more muted. It’s very obvious sadly otherwise I would stick with it as I have a real soft spot for the service. I’ve tried it on and off but it’s not yet ‘sound’ ready for me. If Spotify finally does add cd resolution, though I’m not sure they’re just teasing the opposition, I will take it much more seriously and have a good listen.

advertisement

Back