advertisement

Best way to clean a bike after being left in a shed for 15 years

Steve is evidently a wild and crazy guy who doesn't mind having an arrow through his head. Or indeed a lamppost.

Risk / reward does not compute in my book but hey, maybe they make better longer lasting tyres now, just like they do chains :)

To all here, thanks for your input so far. I put on new tyres, mostly because the réar old one had both lots of wear and a few too many cracks for me to be able to trust it. The front seems fine with little wearing any, so will keep in storage for the next change.

Changed both inner tubes, after testing, which proved both understood the principles of going flat, though one was considérably better than the other in terms of speed of deflation. I'd have been hésitant to use them anyway, after so many years of being flat there was always a good chance moving the bike would have caused damage.

Glad to see people using WD 40, which was the standard in OZ for many things over the years. Yes, I'll do the cogs and the chain with that, no problem.

The headset and brake assemblies, though, are a different matter. The headset tube is showing signs of trust, so will pull it out to check. The brakes work fine. I'm not keen on the system, central wire running from the lever to two exposed ones connecting to each brake assembly. Won't better the current systems, but I'm loath to upgrade a bike which, given its abuse before and in storage, has survive really well.

advertisement

Back