advertisement

Best way of playing flac files

eevo1969

pfm Member
….with no laptop or pc and only Optical or AES outputs only.
It’s purely for playing flac files so I don’t want to spend a fortune, £150-£200 would be acceptable. Obviously a Pi would be on the list but I can’t see a AES output for a Pi 5, plenty of optical though.

It’s purely for playing flac files so I don’t want to spend a fortune, £150-£200 would be acceptable. Obviously a Pi would be on the list but I can’t see a AES output for a Pi 5, plenty of optical though.

Why not Pi plus a USB DAC?

What are these Flac files on right now? Flac is a computer format, you will need one to play it!

Stored on a Samsung 1TB SSD atm

That will need connecting either to your existing computer, or to a computer in the listening room.

Two ways to do it (well two obvious ones, probably 842 or more ways in reality):

a) Connect the SSD to your existing computer wherever in the house that may be; install a free UPnP server and share the drive, then it can be seen by any streamer or whatever connected to your hi-fi. FWIW this is how I do it.

b) Buy a Pi or any other small computer, connect it to that, and connect that to a DAC in your system.

It depends on whether you want a computer in your hi-fi.

Above stated budget but Bluesound Node plays FLAC no problem, just connect SSD to unit and away you go. I've tried to live with various computer-based solutions over the years but the Bluesound is just the best when it comes to ease of use. It's pure Ronseal.

Plus, Bluesound now allow multiple units to share the one library. I haven't tried this myself as I'd already connected SSDs to each of my two units, but if I ever add a third unit, unlikely, I won't have to buy another SSD and duplicate the contents again.

It’s purely for playing flac files so I don’t want to spend a fortune, £150-£200 would be acceptable. Obviously a Pi would be on the list but I can’t see a AES output for a Pi 5, plenty of optical
I’ll add my support for the Pi suggestions above. Although I’m not sure a Pi 5 is needed.
I’ve put together four of these now; two for myself and two for family members.
That said, none are outputting on optical or AES (although I’m aware that HATs are available).
One is USB, another co-ax. The third has an amp hat (so outputs directly to passive speakers) and the fourth is via HDMI.
My two are FLAC files on a USB drive.
Can I ask what your DAC is?

I’ll add my support for the Pi suggestions above. Although I’m not sure a Pi 5 is needed.

I’d argue a Pi5 was less suited than a 4 as it needs active cooling. That tends to mean a fan exactly where you want to put a hat. A fan means noise. You don’t need the power for audio streaming either. If I was using a Pi for high-res TV/video streaming I’d get the 5, if not a 4 or even 3 is absolutely fine.

PS I do have a 5 myself, but I view it as a backup computer rather than anything to do with the hi-fi.

I’d argue a Pi5 was less suited than a 4 as it needs active cooling. That tends to mean a fan exactly where you want to put a hat. A fan means noise. You don’t need the power for audio streaming either. If I was using a Pi for high-res TV/video streaming I’d get the 5, if not a 4 or even 3 is absolutely fine.

PS I do have a 5 myself, but I view it as a backup computer rather than anything to do with the hi-fi.
all of mine have been Pi 4 models and all 2Gb versions.
Perfectly adequate in my setup.
If I was buying again now and it was to be used as a streamer - nothing else - then I’d go for another Pi 4.

advertisement

Back