advertisement

Best Step-Up Transformer(s) for Koetsu Cartridges

That looks very well engineered and at a price that's not too silly. Interesting that, like Sculpture A, this maker also uses toroidal nano-crystalline cores in the SUTs. My ears tell me that this is a very Good Thing.
Using a 3pin input with a converter lead does look odd. I wonder why they did it that way?

Using a 3pin input with a converter lead does look odd. I wonder why they did it that way?

Looking at the manufacturer's site, it looks like the balanced inputs shown in the picture are just an option:

Connectors can be customized as well the choice of balanced / unbalanced operation

To follow up on this thread, I wound up getting a great deal on the new version of the Koetsu SUT. I received it last weekend. So far it sounds good, but not great. Highs are a bit strident on certain records, but bass is filling out nicely. Do SUTs need time to break in?

Which cartridge are you using with it as they are designed for modern koetsu.
Could be a matching issue

Which cartridge are you using with it as they are designed for modern koetsu.
Could be a matching issue

I’m using a modern Koetsu Urushi Sky Blue.

The SUT is smoothing out on the top end and really starting to bloom. I don’t think there’s a mismatch or a connection is loose. I just think the SUT needs to break-in a bit.

So not that then. I have a tsugaru through the new koetsu sut and don't have the strident highs. Have you compared it to other suts?

Yes, to my Audio Note S2. But as I just mentioned, things are improving with the Koetsu SUT. It’s not as strident as when I first received it and the sound is now fleshing out nicely. Still needs a bit more time, but we’re on the right track.

'Strident' and Koetsu' are not two words normally associated with any of the K range; even the lowly (ahem!) Black Goldline,;)

Again, as I use it more and more (though I only get to use it on the weekends) the strident sound I heard when first put in the system is subsiding.

A lot of Japanese MC transformers use toroidal cores which are not as good as EI or C cores for audio reproduction.
would you care to elaborate? I think that it would be informative of you to explain why you think this is the case Graham

would you care to elaborate? I think that it would be informative of you to explain why you think this is the case Graham

It's pretty much the same as for all audio transformers (interstage, line output & output transformers). It's mostly about the quality and consistency of the core material. How the different core materials sound. Also, the winding techniques for the best audio results and that is just for starters. The reasons are also well documented on the web and in various publications including Sound Practices. You won't find many top valve/tube audio companies using toroidal cores in their audio transformers, as in Audionote Japan, Audionote UK, Ypsilon, K&K Audio, Lamm, Nagra, Shindo, Sibatone, Tron, Zanden etc...

advertisement

Back