advertisement

Best Step-Up Transformer(s) for Koetsu Cartridges

My Phonobox is on order with ECC83 tubes specified. I have also ordered the MC4 SUT.

Having demoed the MC4/Phonobox (standard tubes) I found a significant improvement with the SUT.

Lovely please report back when you receive your items.:)

I’ve heard good things about the Cyrus phono but have not got a chance to listen to one.
Not many reviews maybe the brand lacks high-end cred while the casework and display especially, look awfully dated. The various setting permutations tweakable via remote is a big plus though.

Spotted a used one on ebay yesterday and was contemplating on taking a punt at abt £900 when it sold right under my nose!

Please do tell us more how the Cyrus sound.
I sold my old Whest Ps30r to a member of StereoNET in Aust and he compared it to his Cyrus phono. In his opinion the Whest was significantly better and he was going to sell his Cyrus.

I’ve heard good things about the Cyrus phono but have not got a chance to listen to one.
Not many reviews maybe the brand lacks high-end cred while the casework and display especially, look awfully dated. The various setting permutations tweakable via remote is a big plus though.

Spotted a used one on ebay yesterday and was contemplating on taking a punt at abt £900 when it sold right under my nose!

Please do tell us more how the Cyrus sound.

Not much to tell. Silent backrounds and highly detailed. Rich tonality and great frequency extension. I owned an Eastern Electric Minimax and a 47 Labs Phonocube when I first purchased the Cyrus. I quickly sold them both. That was 4-5 years ago now. Still very happy with the Cyrus.

There’s also a Koetsu Burma Jade

That's one I've never come across; quite surprised ! Jade in the stone-bodied Ks, yes, but Burma Jade, no.

I prefer my Koetsu Urushi Plat Sig through the Cyrus MC stage

Surprisingly good stage, if it's similar to my old Cyrus One; still, a bit underwhelming for an Urushi, i.m.o. Ah, just read, Cyrus stand-alone stage; different kettle of fish.:oops:

Just for the members in this thread who have recommended active phonostages: At this time, I'm only looking at SUTs, as I currently use and will continue to use the built-in phonostage of my Luxman CL-38uC. While I appreciate the recommendations of active stages for potential future use, my focus now is only on SUTs.

Just for the members in this thread who have recommended active phonostages: At this time, I'm only looking at SUTs, as I currently use and will continue to use the built-in phonostage of my Luxman CL-38uC. While I appreciate the recommendations of active stages for potential future use, my focus now is only on SUTs.

to note: a pre-pre or headamp is just that, designed to amplify an MC signal, without RIAA, for feeding into any MM stage. My McKnnies work wonderfully with Croft Mm inputs :)

to note: a pre-pre or headamp is just that, designed to amplify an MC signal, without RIAA, for feeding into any MM stage. My McKnnies work wonderfully with Croft Mm inputs :)

Right, but I currently use my Koetsu with an Audio Note AN-S2H SUT going into the MM input on the Luxman. I just want to try a new SUT to be used in place of the AN-S2H.

Will do. The wait time in Aust at the moment is 8-10 weeks.

I presume, like my friend's 861 amp, that this is built on site at Eaton Socom (St. Neot's), Cambs and that constitutes the delay. Otherwise it's a simple courier job to Oz, I guess.

Answer to original question - whatever sounds best for you - really, that simple.

I have recently invested in a Yamaha HA-1 head amp' at the suggestion here of @Beobloke (into a Croft MM stage) and that comes close, maybe betters, my dead McKinnie.

I am unsure why anyone ever asks this sort of question, as my first line answers it.

Like Tarzan, I'd be interested in your findings, as I have the 912 pre.

Mike, as I'm sure you know, the SUT in the 912 is the same as the MC4 (apart from 3 windings instead of 4). The MC4 will not make a difference with the 912, although it does improve the Phonobox significantly.

The Phonobox is very good for the price (I have only heard the version with stock tubes, with and without the MC4), and the MC4 is a good upgrade for it. But the 912 is still a better phono stage than the Phonobox, even with the MC4.

Mike, as I'm sure you know, the SUT in the 912 is the same as the MC4 (apart from 3 windings instead of 4).

Yes, I knew there was a slight difference in construction. I think there was/is an MC3, but I'm told the 912 phono stage is superior to that. However, considering that one of my 2 phono trannies (output tnsf.) had to be replaced earlier this year after developing a lamination defect (I was told) at a VAT incl. price of about £35 for the unit, I wonder how the relatively enormous cost of the MC4, presumably with 2 x trannies, can be justified. Maybe I'm missing sth here.

However, considering that one of my 2 phono trannies (output tnsf.) had to be replaced earlier this year after developing a lamination defect (I was told) at a VAT incl. price of about £35 for the unit, I wonder how the relatively enormous cost of the MC4, presumably with 2 x trannies, can be justified. Maybe I'm missing sth here.

Output transformers or input transformers? If it was one of the MC transformers that was replaced for 35 pounds, I would also be concerned that either (a) the replacement was not as good as the original; or (b) the MC4 should not be priced much more than 70 pounds. But if it was one of the transformers for XLR outputs, that might be a different story.

I presume, like my friend's 861 amp, that this is built on site at Eaton Socom (St. Neot's), Cambs and that constitutes the delay. Otherwise it's a simple courier job to Oz, I guess.
It could also be as a result of the importer combining orders to keep the cost down.

The Phonobox with the 13d16 tubes presents a neutral sound signature. I won’t be spending megabucks on tubes but will upgrade to the 12AX7 Tung Sol gold pins when it arrives.

Your current AN transformers are already very good indeed.
Other SUTs will be much of muchness.
A good quality active pre-pre may be what you really seek.
It plugs into your beloved Luxman built in MM stage.
That is why I recommended the Vendetta.
It is very quiet but sounds very alive.

advertisement

Back