advertisement

Best Proac Speaker Up To £3,000

My favourite ProAcs are the little ones; the 1SC, D1, various Tablettes, though I've yet to hear the new 10. They are fabulous small speakers IMO, capable of almost physics-defying results with the right (i.e. expensive!) kit upstream. I've never been too taken with the larger models and have always found them less coherent and together than the mini-monitors. The 1SC is certainly one of my favourite small speakers, and plenty good enough to hang on the end of real cost-no-object high-end sources and amplification.

It's difficult to judge unless one listens to all speakers and forms his own impressions. It is useful that Tony has a different outlook on the smaller Proacs. My main concern with the smaller monitors is the lack of scale and bass though it's good to note that they are capable of sounding more coherent and together than the larger Proacs.

From the SM100 thread, it appears that couple of guys who compared the Tablette 10 and SM100 had gone with the latter.

It is useful that Tony has a different outlook on the smaller Proacs. My main concern with the smaller monitors is the lack of scale and bass though it's good to note that they are capable of sounding more coherent and together than the larger Proacs.

I've heard 1SCs on the end of large Krell class A amps with Audio Research tube preamps upstream, plus full Audio Research tube rigs, and in this company and on the appropriate Target R1 or R4 stands they really come to life and scale like you wouldn't believe possible! There is obviously a volume envelope with any small speaker, but it is astonishing what is possible from these when the power upstream is both bottomless and of exceptionally high quality.

advertisement

Back