advertisement

Best Proac Speaker Up To £3,000

ryder

pfm Member
I would like to seek experience from folks who have listened to most of the Proac models up to £3,000. Particularly the following models:-

Tablette 10
Response DB1
Response D Two
Response RDB3
Response D20R

I am aware that from this list the D20R is a floorstand while the rest are bookshelves, not exactly a like-for-like comparison. I am looking at a broader perspective without analyzing in detail whether the speakers have to be in the same size, type or price range. I am looking at things such as emotional involvement, whether the speaker will be able to engage the listener on a long-term basis. A speaker which is more of an all-rounder, good at most things rather than very good in one area but poor in other areas. A speaker which sounds balanced across the frequency spectrum, not sounding too etched in the highs or too lightweight in the bass.

Read good things about the Tablette 10 but there were some remarks about it sounding lightweight in the bass. Similarly read good things about the D20R just to have some comments about it sounding bland with imprecise bass when compared to the larger D30R.

In summary, which speaker do you think is more of a keeper. A speaker which has a balanced set of strengths. I am aware it's all subjective and dependent on the room, equipment, personal taste and preferences etc. Just trying to have some idea on what folks here prefer.

I would appreciate thoughts from folks who have listened to most or all of the speakers as mentioned above.

obviously, the smaller models needs a sub at the very least and probably cannot be played too loud before starting compressing.

obviously, the smaller models needs a sub at the very least and probably cannot be played too loud before starting compressing.

Yes, I am aware of that. I was just thinking. Out of all the small Proac speakers (Tablette 10, DB1 etc.), do they sound decent enough when played in moderate-sized rooms at average volume levels. Will the bass of the Tablette 10 or DB1 sound adequate.

Then there is the larger bookshelf Response D2. Does this speaker sound more balanced than the Tablette 10 and DB1 since it goes lower in the bass due to to the larger box enclosure and mid/bass driver. Or the D2 is still inadequate and the D20R is much better.

I am trying to find the best compromise, a bookshelf speaker that may satisfy in both small and moderate sized rooms with adequate bass response. Expectations will vary with individuals but I was thinking of getting some general views from folks who have experience with some of these speakers.

My room is 11x25ft and fire my Tab10 across the room driven by 272/XP5xS/100.

Bass is light and no match for Allaes I had previously, but no boom.
What you do get is a bass that you can follow every line with great separation between drums, bass and all other instruments. More than enough bass for my room and I don't see the need for a sub.

For me end goal speaker, I may try a NAP250dr at some point to see if I'm missing something but for now a NAP100 can easily drive the none power hungry Tab10s.

Hifiman, similarly I am not into matching a sub with the mains. I do have a sub (PMC TLE1) and have tried matching it to different speakers for years. The sub was always disconnected from the system after a while, every time. Currently the sub is unused and i may set it up for Home Theater if I ever get into that some day.

May I ask if you have compared the Tablette 10 to the DB1 or any other Proac speakers prior to purchasing them. The bass response of these small bookshelves is the only aspect that I worry about. Nonetheless, it is good to know that you are getting an articulate and clear bass with the Tablette 10s. I used to have the Tablette 50 Signature and similarly find the separation between instruments to be superb. The Proacs do have the capability of dissecting the sound and reproduce it with great separation and detail unlike some speakers. Sadly, I didn't get to live with the Tablette 50 Signatures for too long as ultimately I found them to be too analytical. The imaging and detail are astoundingly good though.

Hi Ryder.
To me the models to consider are:

Tablette 10
Response D2
Response D20R

Please do not believe those comments 20R sounding bland and boomy when compared to 30s. It's quite the opposite, the larger ones are a lot more risky as Proacs floostanders are quite fulsome in the bass and as such need to be tamed. The bigger the speaker the bigger the system to be matched. 30s come to life with 282/250 at least. Both are great choices. Tablette 10 are a real gem, easier to place they sound stunning at the end of demanding electronics and a joy to listen to. D2s are a great choice too if you have not the room to accomodate the floor standers but you want bass tablette cannot give you and Response sonic signature.

I'd firstly consider firing DOWN the room, as any front or rear ported speaker would be a compromise firing across; personally, I doubt you'd get the imaging and transparency firing across from any free-standing speaker.

Secondly, don't overlook second-hand gems like the early Response models; the R3.5 (i.m.o.+ friend with 552/500 and 3.5s) comes top. The R2.5 is legendary if space is at a premium. I used 52 & 552 with 250 and 135s with R3, R3.5 and R4 for many years.

TheTab10 is my first venture into the Proac brand and did not compare other models within the Proac range but just before I purchased the Tab10 I did audition the P3ESR and preferred the midrange of the Tab10.

Key point for the Tab10 is a heavy mass stand, mine weigh around 40kg each.

I have to fire the speakers across the room due to layout but in a few years I can move my setup into the kids play room much better layout, this measures 4x5mtrs and will enable me to fire down the room.

TheTab10 is my first venture into the Proac brand and did not compare other models within the Proac range but just before I purchased the Tab10 I did audition the P3ESR and preferred the midrange of the Tab10.

Key point for the Tab10 is a heavy mass stand, mine weigh around 40kg each.

I have to fire the speakers across the room due to layout but in a few years I can move my setup into the kids play room much better layout, this measures 4x5mtrs and will enable me to fire down the room.

Thanks for the information. It looks like the Tablette 10 and SCM100 are the ones to get. The rest of the models are out of contention(DB1, Tablette Anniversary, D2 etc.), either sounding inferior or something else.

I'd firstly consider firing DOWN the room, as any front or rear ported speaker would be a compromise firing across; personally, I doubt you'd get the imaging and transparency firing across from any free-standing speaker.

Secodly, don't overlook second-hand gems like the early Response models; the R3.5 (i.m.o.+ friend with 552/500 and 3.5s) comes top. The R2.5 is legendary if space is at a premium. I used 52 & 552 with 250 and 1353 with R3, R3.5 and R4 for many years.

Similarly I prefer firing down the room as I don't quite like near-field listening. I like to have a bit of distance from the speakers.

Good to know the older Proac models are gold. I have heard the R2.5 many years ago when the hifi stores are still selling them. The R2.5 is better than the D15 or D18? Anyway it is likely I will end up with a bookshelf(if I happen to consider a Proac) as I already have a pretty large speaker in my main system.

Thanks for the information. It looks like the Tablette 10 and SCM100 are the ones to get. The rest of the models are out of contention(DB1, Tablette Anniversary, D2 etc.), either sounding inferior or something else.

You might want to get in touch with Robby. He has recently tried the Tablette 10, SM100, Tablette Anniversary and I think one or two of the other small ProAcs. No substitute for a proper listen of course, but he might be able to offer some useful insight here.

You might want to get in touch with Robby. He has recently tried the Tablette 10, SM100, Tablette Anniversary and I think one or two of the other small ProAcs. No substitute for a proper listen of course, but he might be able to offer some useful insight here.

I have read the other thread. Robby appears to prefer the SM100 to all other Proac speakers he had tried.

I've left a post on the SM100 thread.

I do prefer the SM100's over all the others I tried but you do need to try them in your own room and with your own kit - which I am sure you will do.

When listening to all three I was left with the impression by the smaller speakers that they were constantly trying to contrive a way of convincing you that you were listening to a smaller speaker.

The SM100 just sounds right to me with no trickery needed.

Don't forget the new D18, the replacement for the Studio 148.

I have 148's and 10's and love them both. Preference is 99% based on room size.

The 10's have an amazing image but the 148's are just in another league (if you have the room for them).

Just checked on the prices. The DT8 is £1,950 while the SM100 is £1,850. Just a small £100 difference between the two speakers. That may suggest that the DT8 is an inferior speaker as it's a much larger floor stander with an additional bass/midrange driver when compared to the SM100.

I've owned ProAC 1SC, ProAC Response D30R and ProAc Response D20R.

In my opinion the 1Sc produced to most sweet mids/highs but small soundstage and little bass was missing. Then I've upgraded to D30R, soundstage was much bigger and heavier as there was plenty of bass. In my small room of 400x500cm I had a bass boom on several recordings - loudspeakers were placed quite a lot into the room but without success.
Then I toke one step down to D20R and those little speakers are just beautiful. The amount of bass is just right and they offer the same musical improvement over the 1SC's at a very good price point. Placed them on four Finite Elemente absorbers and they improved again - best speakers for money so far!

Why ProAc, are you set on their style? IMHO for £3000 you could find a much better speaker, I find proac to be a little polite and laid back for my tastes now.

advertisement

Back