advertisement

Best Noise Cancelling Headphones?

Bluetooth doesn't sound quite so good as wired when directly compared, but it's still surprisingly good, and it doesn't even cross your mind when on the train and enjoying the liberty of no wires to juggle or come loose. (Again AKG NC60)

Another Sony recommendation here. The touch controls work well after initial acclimatisation and are quite handy for pausing/mute when the trolley person takes your drink order..:D

I got the momentum’s. these sound decent when cabled as well. I have had no problem in noisy situations. I compared them to my sons wired pair and they are not quite as good but very close

I’d get custom fit in-ears. I have UE4’s, and have had them for ages. Brill on a plane. Very clear and very tight defined bass.

Also because they are custom fit, you don’t have to drive them as loud as you normally would.

add my vote for the Sony . But boy o boy - is this a personal fit thing. Went into my local best Buy lookin for a headphone cable - the single employee ?? who knew where they were ?? was busy -so went over and tried on a few 'phones while waiting. The Sony's were comfortable -real comfortable and then I realized there was something really odd about them - almost all the store rattle n roar was gone when I put them on. So -ya had to push a button to hear music -but the NC was runnin and worked way better than I would have ever expected. After a week or so - gotta admit I'm still not sold on BT -but plugged into the headphone amp in my Benchmark DAC-3HGC -these are really impressive. And comfortable on my fat head to boot !

I’ve a pair of AKG N60 as well and find them good. I’m eyeing up a pair of the Sony WH1000 Mkiiis though.

I picked up a pair of WH100XM3s a few days ago (they were on sale so I couldn't resist). The first impression was "too much bass", but the Sony headphones app allows EQ'ing which brings the sound into line. The downside is that using EQ means DSEE HX upscaling doesn't work and you're left with AAC. Having not listened to either extensively I'm not sure what the SQ penalty is. Overall though, I'm pleased with the purchase, although now i see that Bose are about to release the 700 headphones..........

Using Etymotic ER4XR on my train commute. Not NC but block noise more than my last pair of NCs (but not as much as Bose). SQ is properly good - note I like neutral.

Physically invasive but I'm getting used to it.

Using Microsoft Surface Headphones at work. Although these tick all the my "scepticism" marks when it comes to music reproduction (Bluetooth, Noise-Cancelling, no well-known can vendor), I must admit they sound rather good. NC function is truly excellent (and quickly adjustable to the point of literally amplifying ambient noise, so you can quickly check for vital pieces of information like announcements on the train, etc.). The cans' sides have "touchable" areas which react to finger taps, so you can skip a song or jump to the one before.
Sound is somewhat "clear" but "smooth", probably fine-tuned to 2nd (or 3rd) grade source material. A slight bass hump is apparent, but well below 100Hz, so the general character is not "fat".

Best,
Oliver

I have only tried some old Sennheiser, AKG Q90 and B&W PX with NC.
I used Etymotic ER4S for decades on flights but they used to cause an excessive build up of ear wax with frequent use - completely blocking my ear more than once.
The B&W are brilliant for travelling without wires and effective NC IME, they are my latest buy and I use them on the bus (no more flying for me now I have retired - hurrah) where the NC is more effective than the Etymotics and the lack of wire a major benefit for me.
You aren't going to get the ultimate SQ on the move anyway IMO

I have two pairs of noise cancelling headphones. 1 pair of Bose QC 25s and a pain of Senheisser PXC550. I would say that for noise cancelling the Bose are better but for overall sound the Senheissers are better... depends how important each aspect is. I also use the Senheissers for conference calls as they also have a built in microphone.... I have briefly listened to the B&Ws but not enough to make a real judgement.. The only real test for these headphones is a long haul flight, for which both the Bose and the Senheissers work well... it will be my fourth langhaul flight of the month tomorrow... and I am really glad that I have good NC headphones....

I have two pairs of noise cancelling headphones. 1 pair of Bose QC 25s and a pain of Senheisser PXC550. I would say that for noise cancelling the Bose are better but for overall sound the Senheissers are better... depends how important each aspect is. I also use the Senheissers for conference calls as they also have a built in microphone.... I have briefly listened to the B&Ws but not enough to make a real judgement.. The only real test for these headphones is a long haul flight, for which both the Bose and the Senheissers work well... it will be my fourth langhaul flight of the month tomorrow... and I am really glad that I have good NC headphones....

The PXC 550 has gotten very good reviews for audio quality relative to the Bose and Sony. It has a lower list price and can also be found steeply discounted if you search.

I used Etymotic ER4S for decades on flights but they used to cause an excessive build up of ear wax with frequent use - completely blocking my ear more than once.
This has started to happen to me. Sad panda face!

I may have to move them on, with deep regret.

A couple of months ago after several months of trying and retrying multiple sets from multiple vendors I finally put my hand in my pocket and purchased a pair of Sony WH1000XM3s. For me the sound quality and NC were better than anything else I tried. Comfort wise, I've got a tall narrow head and there was one of the sennheiser models I recall being a better fit but not in there same performance league. Used on average on four flights a week and, once you get the hang of the touch controls, very pleased. They replaced a pair of PXC 250s that had started to rattle a bit.

Willy.

advertisement

Back