advertisement

Best Noise Cancelling Headphones?

Paulq2

pfm Member
I have recently changed jobs and will be spending a far greater amount of time on planes and trains so want to invest in some NC Headphones. I have read the reviews on the following:
  • Bose Quiet Comfort II
  • Sony WH-1000X Mk 3
  • B&0 Beoplay H9i
I had always thought that the Bose was the best for NC if not sound quality but reviews appear to suggest that Sony's NC is as good these days.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

I have only briefly listend to the above and have had the B&W PX on home dem for a couple of weeks before as I thought they sounded best!

Maybe try to get into a branch of John Lewis and try a few - the fit and comfort is as important (if not more so) than the NC. I ended up with Bose - after spending an hour or more with my phone listening to many. They were the most comfortable for me and work well. I actually got the older QC25 cabled version and then bought a BT adaptor - which saved a lot (cans are £140 in Argos now). And they run on an AAA battery rather than an inbuilt rechargeable, which is preferable to my mind.
The QC II is being replaced now, so should be some good discounts also.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/2975195

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Wir...chweb0_0,searchweb201602_3,searchweb201603_51

Have you considered IEMs with good isolating properties rather than noise-cancelling headphones? I use in-ear Shures on trains on a near-daily basis and don’t feel the need for noise-cancelling. Headphones are a very personal, YMMV area, of course, in-ears especially.

I also have Bose QC25s and love them for travel. I stayed away from the QC35s because Bose does not offer battery replacement service. They will sell you a brand new set at a 'discount'.

I almost bought a bluetooth adaptor as well, but I didn't like that it only lasts ~8h (IIRC) which would mean recharging mid flight in a lot of cases. The QC25 itself lasts maybe 30h on one AAA battery.

I have the older model of Sony and only really use them on flights but they go on as soon as I'm seated and stay on until the lockers are being raided... Can't imagine flying without NC now, makes a massive difference.

For noise cancelling as the priority then Sony. Best SQ with NC the B&W PX. As suggested, try out first if poss. Fit and comfort are critical and very personal.

I had a pair of B&W PX and found them extremely uncomfortable, sent them back, sounded amazing though.

I use AKG N60NC. Not quite as isolating as the Bose QC 35 ones I tried but sometimes that's preferable and it depends what you want. Still good isolation though and I use them a lot on trains. They also sit on not around your ears, again personal preference, and are a bit more portable. Great SQ.

The QC25s are cabled! The QC35ii are Bluetooth, but only support SBC & AAC. The Sonys add Aptx, Aptx HD & LDAC.

The Sony WH-1000X Mk 3 by a long way the other 2 are not in the same league anymore
The Nuraphone's beat them on sound but I found after 40min or so they became uncomfortable for me but I have pre ordered there new ear phones :)

Last edited:
Consider the Sennheiser Momentum 2 wireless. Not as good at NC as sony or Bose though they have better sound quality based on my testing. I use mine on a fair amount of long haul flights. You can use them with BT or cable.

I use Etymotic ER4-SR IEMs. They provide around 40db of isolation, which is better than I've seen on active noise canceling headphones.

Just to note that above 1khz, you can approach 40dB isolation from well-sealed, comfy full-sized conventional closed-back headphones, like the AKG550 too. (https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/wonderfully-competent-akg-k550-sealed-headphone-page-2)

Not that there aren't reasons to prefer Etymotics etc - just that good sound, and good isolation, can be had rather cheaper - perhaps even in the 'good enough' range. But personal taste here is everything.

I’ve a pair of AKG N60 as well and find them good. I’m eyeing up a pair of the Sony WH1000 Mkiiis though.

Just to note that above 1khz, you can approach 40dB isolation from well-sealed, comfy full-sized conventional closed-back headphones, like the AKG550 too. (https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/wonderfully-competent-akg-k550-sealed-headphone-page-2)

Not that there aren't reasons to prefer Etymotics etc - just that good sound, and good isolation, can be had rather cheaper - perhaps even in the 'good enough' range. But personal taste here is everything.
Sure, I used to use a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (250 ohm version) as a full-sized closed-back for isolation. They did reasonably well in that regard.

I get the impression that noise cancelling and Bluetooth compromised the sound quality somewhat, perhaps the technology isn’t quite there yet? Be interested to know what others have found.

I have some Bose noise cancelling over ears but I’ve found that for airports and train journeys and walking about town my Sony MDR 650 in ears are much more practical. The ear peace cuts out a lot of background sound and is a nice fit, and the cable is very light too so unlike many other headphones you don’t feel like you have a heavy cable swinging around as you walk. They are fun to listen to, very musical and engaging and if I end up leaving them behind on a train I’m only £35 down!

advertisement

Back