advertisement

Best music streaming service ?

Used Spotify for years but started to think sound quality wasn’t so good. Did a direct comparison with Amazon Music and much preferred the latter.

P.S.: I might sometimes want to listen to old white male music, e.g. the latest Who or AC/DC. Or the latest Hiromi jazz record. Will I foind this on Qobuz ?
Qobuz will serve you well, especially for the latter.

I make no claims to golden ears
I spend all day using very loud power tools but even I can hear a clear difference between the same song on CD and Spotify.

so can I.
But Spotify premium sq is not “awful”.
And Spotify and Tidal - the difference is infinitesimal.

Deezer, because it works on my Squeezebox, even when I don’t pay for it, albeit with reduced control over exactly what it plays, and has regular special offers, like 99p for 3 months premium.

I also use Qobuz for downloads. I prefer to own the music I really like.

Qobuz for me. Have been using it since 2016, with no complaints. My listening is mainly jazz, classical, electronica, but it's a long time since I looked for something and couldn't find it there. The search function could use work, and the desktop app has some poor design choices (which they won't fix), but it's built in to lots of streamers, and there's a lot of nice hi-res stuff there.

Worth mentioning: if you're the kind of person who files Verdi under "pop music", then you should at least consider Naxos's streaming option. It's not cheap, not by a long way, as it's primarily aimed at musicologists, scholars and music teachers, but it has an unmatched collection of classical and early to modern jazz, and the best indexing and cataloguing of any service. No mobile app (that I'm aware of - I only had a loan of someone's login for a few days), but you could run it via a laptop for home listening, and for classical works, it is superb at finding the exact recording you're looking for.

Now the UK is no longer in the EU I can see the French going on strike and blocking all ports as normal when Qobuz goes under because of the Amazon's Hi Res Streaming and download service when it really gets going in the next few months.
You buy there little black box plug it into your DAC and your off.
Plug your Echo Dot into that and it's all done by voice.

Now the UK is no longer in the EU I can see the French going on strike and blocking all ports as normal when Qobuz goes under because of the Amazon's Hi Res Streaming and download service when it really gets going in the next few months.
Perhaps there will be a tariff on foreign music streaming services if used in the UK.
Maybe all the music will be in French ?

Perhaps there will be a tariff on foreign music streaming services if used in the UK.
Maybe all the music will be in French ?
Doubt it as Amazon get more tax relief in the UK than anywhere else on the planet.
When Apple Music get sorted there will only be two contenders for Hi Res streaming and buying music world domination.
Silly really that the biggest record labels on the planet have missed the boat.
I'm glad .
They have ruled for to long.

Amazon's HD service is severely flawed at present. It has so few bit accurate replay options it's a joke and as a closed system there's little one can do about it.

I’ve not done a shootout but my Spotify premium is 320kbps mp3 and if you set volume to ‘quiet’ then I assume they turn off the limiting (I have it on normal, there is also’loud’)

I’d like to try a comparison, but I’m not massively bothered, sounds fine here. Worst thing about Spotify imo is its interface; the way it often only has the ‘deluxe’ album; and the lack of info about releases (producer/mixer etc)

Spotify. I can listen to all music tracks for free and find most of the new tracks on it. I also use TunesKit Spotify Music Converter to get Spotify music for listening offline.

Amazon's HD service is severely flawed at present. It has so few bit accurate replay options it's a joke and as a closed system there's little one can do about it.
Qobuz for me. Have been using it since 2016, with no complaints. My listening is mainly jazz, classical, electronica, but it's a long time since I looked for something and couldn't find it there. The search function could use work, and the desktop app has some poor design choices (which they won't fix), but it's built in to lots of streamers, and there's a lot of nice hi-res stuff there.

Worth mentioning: if you're the kind of person who files Verdi under "pop music", then you should at least consider Naxos's streaming option. It's not cheap, not by a long way, as it's primarily aimed at musicologists, scholars and music teachers, but it has an unmatched collection of classical and early to modern jazz, and the best indexing and cataloguing of any service. No mobile app (that I'm aware of - I only had a loan of someone's login for a few days), but you could run it via a laptop for home listening, and for classical works, it is superb at finding the exact recording you're looking for.

Naxos streaming? Must investigate...thanks for tip.

advertisement

Back