advertisement

Best music streaming service ?

Cheese

Bitter lover
Hi all,

I have now been using Apple Music for a few weeks (they sort of lured me into using a free test subscription) and it have to admit, it's ultra-cool and I guess I need a proper subscription now.

Apple Music's content would be great but, probably after a mistake I made, it mingled with my existing iTunes library and it replaced many covers, some of them totally wrong :mad:. I am sure I could correct that and set my iTunes properly, but currently Apple Music doesn't have the best press for me.

Youtube Music is totally useless, already tried. It looks like they just have the stuff people uploaded to Youtube. That leaves:

1) Google Music - does that still exist ?

2) Amazon Music, except that I am not too much of a fan of its founder. But if it's really really good I could think about it.

3) Spotify

4) others ?

Note that I listen mainly to classical, and I am not interested in Hi-Res.

Any recommendations ?

Thanks
Cheese

I use Qobuz because it I found it was better than Tidal for Jazz and Classical, which are my main interests these days. Qobuz no longer have an MP3 option, their cheapest subscription is now CD quality.

I also have an Apple Music subscription because my car has Car Play, and Siri makes it easy to select albums while I'm driving. If the same functionality was available for Qobuz I'd end my Apple subscription.

Qobuz and Tidal here. There’s enough missing on each to keep both for now but I’ll soon go Qobuz only. I was Tidal only for a couple of years. Have more than enough Amazon and Apple in my life already.

For classical music, Qobuz.
Or Possibly Tidal.
They all give free trial periods so you can dip your toe in the water before committing.

I had Tidal for a while but am now trialing Quboz. So far Quboz, I think, is winning.

Also have Apple Music, but only via mobile devices and the Echo device in the kitchen.

Funny, no-one in the family uses Spotify.

Qobuz still have the mp3 option as far as I can see, and that's way good enough for my ears. Especially so because I only need live streaming, downloads not necessary.

Thanks guys.

P.S.: I might sometimes want to listen to old white male music, e.g. the latest Who or AC/DC. Or the latest Hiromi jazz record. Will I foind this on Qobuz ?

Qobuz still have the mp3 option as far as I can see, and that's way good enough for my ears. Especially so because I only need live streaming, downloads not necessary.

Thanks guys.

P.S.: I might sometimes want to listen to old white male music, e.g. the latest Who or AC/DC. Or the latest Hiromi jazz record. Will I foind this on Qobuz ?

It looks like you're correct, the MP3 option is still there - I'm sure I read that they were ending it...

https://www.whathifi.com/news/qobuz-says-no-to-mp3

The latest albums by the people you mention are available on Qobuz.

Thanks guys.

Notice Cheese you have been on here since 2005 !
Have you not bothered reading anything streaming or MP3 related in all that time ?

I have tried Spotify but the sq is awful but I only use it to listen to new music and see if I like it enough to buy.

oh to have such golden ears!

I tried Tidal, Qobuz and Spotify.

I’m happy with Spotify premium family account.
6 separate premium accounts for £14.99 a month.

Ive had Spotify from day one and get it free but never use it.
Tidal the same but can't stand the owners! It's on its way out massive debts .
Qobuz is still probably the best of the bunch for quality streaming and HI Res album downloads.
For classical music IMO your better off hitting the record labels .

Qobuz for me. The US price was recently reduced by quite a large amount. There’s reason to believe the same might happen this side of the pond too.

Mick

Qobuz Hi fi for quality and device diversity,
Apple Music for voice commands in car. not much else.
Spotty Premium Family for family but also cross devices. Shazam cross-link also good

I’ve used Spotify for 6 years. A lot of choice and SQ is okay (not much depth) except for CDs with pre-emphasis which are always wrong.
I use it for background listening or in my car.
I bought a few tracks on Qobuz but I think they were fake 24/96.

Qobuz here, Apple Music is in my opinion the best sounding of the low res services. Qobuz is preferable to Tidal soundwise to these ears, and certainly in terms of curatorship. It’s great for classical and jazz. My daughter and wife miss the Apple playlists though.

I use two:
Spotify for the family accounts - it really is good value for my kids. I use this when out and about via my phone. It has the easiest app to use for mobile download and replay IMO.

At home I mainly use Qobuz - through Sonos even though it doesn't play Hi Res. I can (just) detect a better quality by comparison with Spotify. If I was looking to reduce spend I'd stick with Spotify for the sheer utility of the package they offer.

I make no claims to golden ears
I spend all day using very loud power tools but even I can hear a clear difference between the same song on CD and Spotify.

Qobuz is superb, especially for classical music. Different pricing for different levels of resolution - 320kbps, cd or hires, a decent discount if you pay annually, a decent free trial, good iPad app, also works very nicely with Roon or LMS. Plenty old white privileged cisgender male stuff - came up with 99 albums for The Who. Get a free trial, get listening, make up your own mind.

advertisement

Back