advertisement

Best modern cartridge for SME 3009 S2 improved

23620750244_447d283cb6_b.jpg

Improved or pre-Improved? The above is a pre-Improved and if you were to add the additional rider-weight it will be happy enough with the Zu. If it is a S2 Improved you have next to no chance as it was never designed to balance out that sort of weight. The obvious visual difference is the counterweight assembly, the Improved is far shorter.

13718934944_b17261a185_c.jpg

This is an Improved, its a fixed shell, but the counterweight assembly looks the same. These arms are designed for and give their best with MM carts. It can’t balance out a heavy cart without modification or finding a truly rare as hens teeth heavy SME counterweight.

I have a improved 3009 with fixed headshell
I have been offered a used M2 Black do you know if they fit the standard sme headshell

I have a improved 3009 with fixed headshell
I have been offered a used M2 Black do you know if they fit the standard sme headshell

Yes, no problem at all.

PS When using the stock SME shell unless you are really going all out for the lightest possible mass with very high compliance carts I’d always recommend sticking a little blob of Blu-Tac underneath the SME logo as there is not much in the way of contact with the top of the cart, especially if you fit/use the finger lift. It makes for a more solid and less resonant cart/shell assembly without spoiling the aesthetic (it is totally invisible). Just a small blob works very well IME.

Anyone have any experience of Soundsmith cartridges for the SME 3009 S2 Improved fixed head shell? They do high compliance versions of many of their range. I have a Carmen Mk II high compliance on order at the recommendation of Gary at Audio Emotion.

Nice to see this thread still going some four years later.

The LP12 / SME series 2 is still providing sterling service. Cartridge wise the Shure m97xe is mainly the one I’ve been using, although I acquired a Shure V15vxmr a while back and use that occasionally in another headshell.

The v15 offers a slightly brighter sound suited to some recordings, but overall the m97 seems suited to the majority of pressings.

advertisement

Back