advertisement

Best modern cartridge for SME 3009 S2 improved

Overall I would say the V15 is about as good as MM's get even now, other cartridges may be slightly better but it is still up with the high-end MM's

Agreed. Indeed iirc Shure actually designed the V15 iii to work with the SME Series 2 improved.

The arm was branded as a Shure/SME in the USA.

Just use stylus scales and adjust tracking weight with the rear weight when you run out of rider-weight range. Very easy to do on the Improved as the rear weight is threaded so moves with great accuracy. Loads of digital scales available for peanuts these days (link).
Thank you! I hadn't thought of that.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Agreed. I’ve used 103s a lot over the past 20 years or so and I honestly think it is happier in the old 3009 or 3012........If I ever go back to MC carts I’d be very tempted by something like the Zu Audio 103.

After googling almost the same question as the OP this thread of course came up and I noticed your comment re the ZU 103.

Very salient as I’m waiting for my 401 to come back from Classic T/T Co in a couple of weeks after a service and was wondering what cart to put on the 3009.

Lo and behold this one was calling me on eBay from upstate New York thus......

“Nice Denon DL 103, Zu Audio Mark II. This is the grade 2 prime version, the highest of their 4 selected grades.
I've listed it as used only because it's not a brand new cartridge, but it's in perfect condition with less than 50 hours on the arm.
Always kept clean and used on machine cleaned records.”

I offered, it was accepted, I paid and shortly after received this courtesy message from the seller about shipping and more......

“Thanks! Your Zu will be posted tomorrow morning.
Don't know if this makes a difference, but it belonged to Art Dudley, who passed away last year.
I'm selling the remainder of his small audio items for the family.”

So that was nice! Sort of meant to be.

RIP Art, gone too soon.
Thanks for the great writing and videos, you live on in many different and informative ways.

Steve

The Zu/DL-103 MkII is something I wouldn't mind trying. I have a metal bodied 103 on an LP12 / Audiomods Classic in the office system upstairs and it sounds very good indeed; the Zu would seem to be something I might enjoy!

The Zu wouldn't go well in an SME of the vintage of the op. It is a very heavy setup for this arm. You are better with a 103 with plastic shell removed.

The Zu wouldn't go well in an SME of the vintage of the op. It is a very heavy setup for this arm. You are better with a 103 with plastic shell removed.
Ok, well mine is SME 3009 11 with detachable head shell so as the Zu is on it’s way I feel bound to try it.

What do others think about the Zu being a match for the 3009?

23620750244_447d283cb6_b.jpg

Improved or pre-Improved? The above is a pre-Improved and if you were to add the additional rider-weight it will be happy enough with the Zu. If it is a S2 Improved you have next to no chance as it was never designed to balance out that sort of weight. The obvious visual difference is the counterweight assembly, the Improved is far shorter.

13718934944_b17261a185_c.jpg

This is an Improved, its a fixed shell, but the counterweight assembly looks the same. These arms are designed for and give their best with MM carts. It can’t balance out a heavy cart without modification or finding a truly rare as hens teeth heavy SME counterweight.

Wow, great photos! I can't tell cos it's away at CTC with the deck.

@Tony L Can you tell from these original photos provided by @337alant ?

Serial # is 94818

SME_3009_in_bits_in_box_1.jpg

SME_3009_in_bits_in_box_2.jpg

Last edited:
My SME arm head shell is missing the small badge so I’ve been looking for a removable head shell on eBay. The prices seem high for such a small part, so I thought I’d ask SME if they still supply them. It turns out they can supply something compatible with my old arm. The cost? £187! I didn’t buy one.

great thanks, so I should be looking for the additional rider weigtht if I want the Zu to work successfully?

You have it if that is your arm pictured above, in fact it looks like you have two complete counterweight assemblies for some reason! It is the additional weight on the outrigger and enables you to balance out far heavier cartridges. It will be fine with the Zu I’m sure. I managed to balance out a stock DL-103 plus two 4g headshell mass weights in mine so it should have no issues.

Make sure to read the manual carefully, it is available from VinylEngine if you don’t have it. This generation of SMEs are a little more complex than they first appear, e.g. the tracking scale reads double if the extra rider weight is installed, plus there is all the lateral balance stuff (to place even weight across the knife edge etc). Also bare in mind it is a Stevenson geometry arm, not Baerwald, so use the right protractor! The little single point SME one is fine. Don’t over-tighten anything, this is not a Linn arm!

PS I have no idea what the five thin copper or gold rods hanging down from the bottom of the arm-base are, they aren’t part of the arm!

You have it if that is your arm pictured above, in fact it looks like you have two complete counterweight assemblies for some reason! It is the additional weight on the outrigger and enables you to balance out far heavier cartridges. It will be fine with the Zu I’m sure. I managed to balance out a stock DL-103 plus two 4g headshell mass weights in mine so it should have no issues.

Make sure to read the manual carefully, it is available from VinylEngine if you don’t have it. This generation of SMEs are a little more complex than they first appear, e.g. the tracking scale reads double if the extra rider weight is installed, plus there is all the lateral balance stuff (to place even weight across the knife edge etc). Also bare in mind it is a Stevenson geometry arm, not Baerwald, so use the right protractor! The little single point SME one is fine. Don’t over-tighten anything, this is not a Linn arm!

PS I have no idea what the five thin copper or gold rods hanging down from the bottom of the arm-base are, they aren’t part of the arm!
Wonderful, I see now it was a case of not knowing what I really had, looking back at the PM from Alan he did mention it coming with "extra weight set for heavy carts" so the answers were there really.

Good points about reading the manual carefully, Stevenson geometry and warning about over tightening!

Your PS.....It's a Cardas plug socket mod so will be easy to switch arm cables, as per photo sans sleeve from Alan....
AAB68CB8-45A0-4F20-8B5C-DC1A5C7F22CC.jpg

advertisement

Back