The real Miles Davis
Bitches Brew 40th anniversary box set.
Pangaea
Agharta
Dark Magus: live at Carnegie Hall
Kind of Blue
A portrait of Miles Davis box set
Sketches of Spain

So, no where near a full collection yet!

You need to get In A Silent Way sharpish. Really.

My favourites are Kind of Blue and Milestones.

Then I kind of miss the 60s and 70s, and liked again his 80s stuff. Mainly because he surrounded himself (yet again) with very good younger players.

One I play lots, apart from Bitches Brew, is Circle in the round. A great compilation.

And Something Else on Speakers Corner (I think) is one of the best musical and sounding vinyl I own.

I thought that I had added my twopence worth months ago, but apparently not. Tony said back in November that he was surprised at the lack of support for Sketches of Spain, I agree, I bought a vinyl copy last year and on the right day it is still capable of sending a shiver up the spine. My favourite era though is probably the mid/late 60s and the second quintet. At the very end of that era and just as a new one is dawning are found my top two albums - Filles de Kilimanjaro and a few months later with the new lineup In a Silent Way.

After a lot of recs in this thread Some Day My Prince Will Come is now on the list to buy.

The advantage of The Complete Live At The Plugged Nickel is that it is not only one of his finest releases : it is also several albums/Cds.
Apart from that slightly surprised that Miles Ahead not mentioned more often.

The advantage of The Complete Live At The Plugged Nickel is that it is not only one of his finest releases : it is also several albums/Cds.
Apart from that slightly surprised that Miles Ahead not mentioned more often.

The obvious major downside of the 'Complete Plugged Nickel' is that it's been deleted. A glaring oversight in my view since s/h copies seem to be very pricey now.

What the hell is happening to me!? Although I'm a child of the '80s, when I discovered something funny in my teens in the late '80s, I found nirvana with '60s and '70s pop/rock - from The Beatles to Pink Floyd and loads more besides. I'm partial to a bit of classical as well, but jazz has just been a perfunctory pleasure ... until now!

I've got Amazon Prime just now and have been streaming some Miles Davis and although I've owned Kind of Blue for years - as almost everyone has - I now find myself listening to and enjoying Miles Davis albums more and more. I haven't listened to lots, but so far, everyone's a winner, including On The Corner, Bitches Brew and Someday My Prince Will Come. Oh, I'm not too keen on Sketches of Spain, but apart from that, it's all good.

I can see myself either buying that Miles Davis CD boxset, or some on vinyl. I like jazz; who'd've thought it? :)

An evening of KOB on MOFI & Someday My Prince Will Come washed down with fine Cognac, Oh Yes! <Big Grin> I wish I still smoked <Sad Face>

Relaxin' with... easily, for me, but this is partly for personal reasons. I like all the ...in' LPs, but that one really touches a nerve somehow.

I used to like Bitches Brew, but it sounds seriously passe to me now. Suspect it's passed into legend more for the kind of early seventies sound it embodies than the musical content.

Tutu I really can't stand, perhaps because I remember when it came out it was so hyped. It's like Bitches in that it's really just about a certain sound with only a thin gruel of musical content to support it. I do like Marcus Miller's playing on it though.

In a Silent Way if I have to choose one. But I would not be without any of the albums I have

If this thread resurrection is at least in some part due to the deagostini Jazz LP's coming out, I'm really pleased & hopefully there'll be a few people out there who will get "hooked" by jazz,or music, or vinyl replay in general for the first time & that can't be a bad thing!
I'll keenly anticipate more threads here discussing the forthcoming deagostini promoted artists, even if it means costing me more money delving deeper into other artists back catalogues.
Nice.

I can narrow his best album down to 70 or so.

I have to say that I disagree with that. He hit his peak in the early sixties, and he seems to me to have been chasing fads, or in less pejorative way styles, from that point on.

Sidebar: He turned up at a party in my mum's flat in Greenwich Village one night with Mingus in 1965. They refused to mingle and sat in the kitchen eating fried chicken all night.

As an aside, a great example of why Qobuz does it for me: 'Miles Davis' = over 550 entries.

Been listening through the CD box set. Some of the early ones are wonderful. However, I've hit a wall with Nefertiti, the first track of which is so repetitive I couldn't get to the end without climbing the walls. Must be me!

If this thread resurrection is at least in some part due to the deagostini Jazz LP's coming out, I'm really pleased & hopefully there'll be a few people out there who will get "hooked" by jazz,or music, or vinyl replay in general for the first time & that can't be a bad thing!

Well I'm inclined to agree.
1.Bought the £4.99 first one earlier this week, loved it.
2.Read this thread...
3.Read the CD box set bargain thread...and the result is...

There is a box set of Miles (22 discs) heading my way from Amazon for only £25 ..bargain!:D

Give me a couple of months and I might be able to add my views on this thread...but as its only 22 Albums I'll still be a novice:eek:

advertisement

Back