advertisement

Best Miles Davis Album In Your Opinion?

Its all good. I like it all except for some of the very very late stuff.

If I had to choose it would be KOB, Someday My Price, Somethin' Else, ESP and 'Round about Midnight, Filles de Kilimanjaro.

Indeed, how on earth can someone not like Somethin' Else?! One of the best records on the whole planet IMO.

PS Have you tried Someday My Prince Will Come? I'd say that was probably the closest to KOB stylistically. I probably prefer it too, I certainly play it more often, though that may be due to it being such a stunningly good recording - if you want Miles standing in the room right in front of you that's the disk!

Mee too. Somethin Else is one of the best LPs of all time IMO.

As someone who collects a lot of 50/60s jazz, and has a lot of Blue Note in my catalogue, Columbia are very much the unsung hero in terms of their SQ in my view. Someday my prince is is very very well recorded and mastered.

Is this a later compilation or something? Never actually seen it anywhere other than on wikipeadia and CD/japanese re-issue.

Was there an original LP titled 1958 Miles anyone know?

Later compilation , but there was both a Japanese and a US version, not identical.

They both included the 4 tracks recorded at the sextet's 1958 session (On Green Dolphin Street etc ...)

3 of the 4 tracks (missing Love For Sale) were originally issued on an LP called 'Jazz Track' which also included the music from 'Lift To The Scaffold'

Later compilation , but there was both a Japanese and a US version, not identical.

They both included the 4 tracks recorded at the sextet's 1958 session (On Green Dolphin Street etc ...)

3 of the 4 tracks (missing Love For Sale) were originally issued on an LP called 'Jazz Track' which also included the music from 'Lift To The Scaffold'

Ah, thanks. Finally the mystery is resolved.

In a Silent Way, Tribute to Jack Johnson are probably my two favs, their certainly the most played. It was my Interest in John McLaughlin/Mahavishnu Orchestra that got me into Miles Davis, for most folk it would be the other way round. It was just as I was getting into his work, he made his comeback in the early 80's. Although I liked much of his 80's output at the time, I gave up after Tutu.

Apart from the obvious choices, my fav era would be E.S.P. to Jack Johnson.

I also have almost 90 Miles LPs in iTunes.

Favourites:

Kind of Blue
Sketches of Spain
Live at the Blackhawk (Saturday)
In a silent way
The Cellar Door Box
Dark Magus

Worst is definitely Quiet Nights, his final collaboration with Gil Evans and a laboured effort to accomodate the popularity of bossanova, even his 80's stuff has more to commend it than this.

My most played are:

Miles in the Sky
In a silent way
Big fun

KOB is OK but I still see it as a Bill Evans album. I'll get me coat.

Has he made a bad one?

Not until the 1980s. There's a few outright duds and most is inessential IMO. Before that? He hardly put a foot wrong.

The 50s and early 60s is just wall to wall excellence. I favour 'In Person (Friday Night)' if only for the monster take of Neo (Teo) but there really are no duds here. Plus the 'Canonball Adderley/Somethin Else' record of course. Of the 60s acoustic stuff, the recent 67 Live in Europe box is a killer. Studio would be Miles Smiles. It still ties my mind in knots. Of the electric period, I prefer Silent Way to Bitches Brew, but the later band is even better IMO. The Whole 'On The Corner/Agartha/ Pangea'.

Has he made a bad one?
There are not many bad studio albums I know of, but Miles could deliver abysmal live performances depending on location and mood. Like this 'best' live :

cover_471017652011_r.jpg

Sketches Of Spain & Kind Of Blue.
Just ordered In A Silent Way on vinyl due to this thread!
Nice.
Matt.

Too much greatness to take in but I really like Filles de Killimanjaro for its oblique, elliptical themes (if you can even call them that). I generally prefer the music of his second quintet, especially ESP, but In A Silent Way is another great album. The late 60s were something of a purple patch for Miles.

advertisement

Back