advertisement

Best Miles Davis Album In Your Opinion?

Harper1

Slowly building up my Miles Davis Vinyl Collection, but so far the stand out album for me has been, despite the obvious KOB, - 7 Steps to Heaven

The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out
Ornette Coleman - The Shape Of Jazz To Come
Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue
Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um

Slowly building up my Miles Davis Vinyl Collection, but so far the stand out album for me has been, despite the obvious KOB, - 7 Steps to Heaven

Agree KOB/SILENT WAY followed by all of the rest.
I've just looked at all the Miles that I have, & thank you H1, I found stuff that I have forgotten so must away to run up the LP 12 for a mornings bliss. No shopping for Lady N today.

Though I'd have to say that On The Corner has been getting a lot of plays recently.

Impossible to call, but Someday My Prince Will Come, ESP, In A Silent Way, Bitches Brew and Tribute To Jack Johnson are seldom too far away from the stereo. I could make a strong case for pretty much everything prior to the 1980s to be honest, and even some of that. It's all pretty amazing IMO. I'm certainly in 'fan' category, I've just had a peep in iTunes and I have 82 Miles Davis albums...

For someone whose musical career spanned over 40 years with great diversity (albeit in the genre of jazz) and high points, it seems to me a bit oxymoronic to name a single 'best' album.

For me , KOB always , sometimes IASW, and occasionally odd tracks from the great second Quintet - interesting/raucous/ terrific percussion by Tony Williams : ESP, Miles Smiles , Sorcerer , Nefertiti ,Miles in the Sky and Filles de Kilimanjaro , but not easy listening in any way.

Dislike everything else including that old Cannonball Adderley ‘Somethin Else’ with MD in the line up which is meant to be like KOB . How?

An Amazon reviewer described KOB : 'This may be a 'classic' jazz album but it still sounds like you have your head in a bucket of spanners whilst being hit with a car horn. I double-checked my CD player and, apparently, it is supposed to sound like that.' Now that's funny but just plain wrong.

:)
(beware minority viewpoint!)

Dislike everything else including that old Cannonball Adderley ‘Somethin Else’ with MD in the line up which is meant to be like KOB . How?

Indeed, how on earth can someone not like Somethin' Else?! One of the best records on the whole planet IMO.

PS Have you tried Someday My Prince Will Come? I'd say that was probably the closest to KOB stylistically. I probably prefer it too, I certainly play it more often, though that may be due to it being such a stunningly good recording - if you want Miles standing in the room right in front of you that's the disk!

Well I'm most into Live at the Fillmore East March 7, 1970: It's About that Time.

Blistering live sets but much later than, and very different to, the period you refer to.

Miles.. the geezer with something for everyone...:)

Indeed, how on earth can someone not like Somethin' Else?! One of the best records on the whole planet IMO.

PS Have you tried Someday My Prince Will Come? I'd say that was probably the closest to KOB stylistically. I probably prefer it too, I certainly play it more often, though that may be due to it being such a stunningly good recording - if you want Miles standing in the room right in front of you that's the disk!

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
I'll certainly have a listen to 'Someday my prince will come'. Can't explain - l just don't like 'Somethin else' but appreciate that most jazz listeners do.

With that much output to choose from, there's really no way of singling out one album as the best. One that nevertheless stands out for me in his catalogue is Lift to the Scaffold -- mesmerising.

advertisement

Back