advertisement

Best live albums

Joe Jackson Big World. Just a good set of songs played live in front of an audience with zero audience interaction (at his request), its a bit toppy but the songs are sweet and melancholy, wistful and have me aching for a back alley with an elusive noodle bar serving a won ton and pak choi I often dream about that only appears to weary travellers at 3AM. Watch out for the drums on this, tight and on the beat at at time when everyone was just behind the beat.
Indeed, a great album. An old PFM-er kindly recommended "Joe Jackson Trio - Live Music Europe 2010", a double vinyl album which is not only excellent music but a superb recording. Amazon were flogging it dead cheap at the time.

81Yq2OJaf8L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Humble Pie
"Performance: Rockin' the Filmore"
Really captures them at their best.
Maybe Hendrix, Band of Gypsies, and it's later 8 LP release "Songs for Groovy Children"
Deep Purple "Made in Japan"

Tripping with Nils Frahm is an excellent live double LP if you’re into electronic music.

The long track Fundamental Values starts like Tangerine Dream then into Keith Jarrett and ends up like Aphex Twin

If you like a bit of Christy Moore then 'Christ Moore Live in Dublin' (double cd) or 'Live at Vicar Street' are grand, especially the first mentioned, I have played it to death and laughed and cried through it many times.
Mind you, if you like a bit of Christy Moore then you already knew that.

Velvet underground - live at Max's

Any good Amy winehouse live albums? Some of the YouTube stuff is great and some not so much.

In no partcular order
1. IDIOT PRAYER: NICK CAVE ALONE AT ALEXANDRA PALACE
2. Van Der Graaf - Vital
3. Sleaford Mods - Live at SO36
4. Rush - All The world's a stage (or Exit... Stage left)
5. Lynyrd Skynyrd - One more from the road

A couple not mentioned yet that I almost wore out the Cd/Vinyl respectively are -

Iron Maiden - Live After Death
Queen - Live Killers

Also agree with the Jim Hendrix Concerts, another album I played to death in my formative years.

Stephen Thomas Erlewine of AllMusic wrote: "Sonic Death: Early Sonic 1981-1983 captures the early incarnation of Sonic Youth at their noisiest and artiest", but calling it "often [...] unfocused and tiresome." Trouser Press called it "a compilation of poorly-recorded live performances."

Fools!

SonicDeath.jpg

Lou Reed's Rock n Roll Animal - the Intro is superb
Joe Jackson has a number of great live recordings - as well as Big World I also like Summer in the City Live in NY; Afterlife is also good
Alison Krauss & Union Station Live
Springsteen's Hammersmith Odeon Live '75
Gene Clark's Silverado '75
Jason Isbell - Live from Alabama
Leon Russell's Live in Japan

So many great live albums to choose from!!

Stephen Thomas Erlewine of AllMusic wrote: "Sonic Death: Early Sonic 1981-1983 captures the early incarnation of Sonic Youth at their noisiest and artiest", but calling it "often [...] unfocused and tiresome." Trouser Press called it "a compilation of poorly-recorded live performances."

Fools!

SonicDeath.jpg
I must give it another chance, it's not the most accessible SY recording...

Of those not mentioned (but discussed in vinyl releases), all the recent Can offerings and, since one of them is Paris, it reminded me I also like Stomu Yamashta’s Go - Live in Paris.

advertisement

Back