advertisement

Best live albums

To the many excellent suggestions so far, I would add James Taylor Live 2CD. Many of those songs better the studio versions and the sound is stunning on the original CDs, which are cheap as chips.

Free - Live
The Sensational Alex Harvey Band Live.

The first Genesis live album, "Genesis Live" and the extended version if you can. It has the dark atmosphere of the early Genesis before they went stadium size.

Or there are live albums where there are no studio recordings available, for example the two Great Society albums where you can here the Slicks going through their paces live in San Fransisco circa 1966. They have a certain charm and one or two of the longer tracks, with the sax blowing, could have been a template borrowed by the embryonic Hawkwind.

Back in the 70s the question would have been easy, there was only one answer - Frampton Comes Alive. Even I bought a copy (I think I've played it twice).

Last edited:
In fact Deep Purple's made in Japan was one of my first ever LPs when I owned less than 10; followed by Genesis Live, Yessongs and Focus at the rainbow.
Actually I don't think Focus at the Rainbow has featured here...until now! A darn good live album.

In fact Deep Purple's made in Japan was one of my first ever LPs when I owned less than 10; followed by Genesis Live, Yessongs and Focus at the rainbow.
Actually I don't think Focus at the Rainbow has featured here...until now! A darn good live album.

Add in Space Ritual, and Humble Pie Fillmore, and I followed same route.

Nick Cave. Live from KCRW.

Recorded by Bob Clearmountsin, the music and atmosphere is awesome. No more so than on Push The Sky Away, which beasts the original studio recording.

Play in darkened room, add fire place and red wine

Santana....Moonflower or Lotus ????
Despite shedding all my LPs, I still have the original 'Lotus' triple LP, with the amazing cover that folds out.....and out...... to be about half a room wide!
And the music is great too.

As to 'live' albums; Live at Budokan -(it isn't!) by John Hiatt is great and Jackson Browne 'Running on empty',,,,and of course. David Lindley's Live CD.

Has anyone mentioned Slade Alive yet?

Nope, wonderful partner to live at Leeds, though. I think it was SSB of this parish that got me back into Slade 15 years ago.

And I might add Happy Trails by Quicksilver Messenger service (if only for the epically groovy side long version of 'Who do you love') and Zappa's You Can't do that on stage anymore Vol II (Live in Helsinki '74) - possibly the best combination of great gig and great recording in Zappa's long career..

The search engine reckons nobody’s mentioned Bob Marley & The Wailers’ “Live At The Lyceum” in this thread. That needed fixing.

I never got The Grateful Dead but always read about their live vibe so I bought what is considered to be their best live album https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06X3W659N/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
I get it now !

In much the same league is the "Sunshine Daydream" concert 8th August 72 at Veneta Oregon. It came soon after the end of their epic Europe 72 tour. I saw a couple of those concerts including one of the last ones at the Lyceum London. By then, their playing was on a different planet and that concert is still the greatest I've ever been to - only Van Morrison on his 73 "Caledonia Soul" tour came anywhere near.

Malc

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Devin Townsend Project - "Ziltoid Live at the Albert Hall". Magnificent and hugely bonkers.

Retinal Circus or Ocean Machine Live are pretty good too.

advertisement

Back