advertisement

Best live albums

The only live rock album that comes close to anything by The Who for me is King Crimson's The Great Deceiver set. Monumental and far better than the more cursory USA, my vinyl copy of which sounds a bit thin is comparison.

Yebbut you have to have 'USA' (or if you're feeling flush, 'Frame by Frame') for this monster

"...F!..." :cool:

All time favourite is Ian Hunter (and Mick Ronson) - Welcome to the Club.

Also, a couple of Elvis ones I like are the NBC TV Special and Aloha from Hawaii.

Big Big Train - A Stones Throw From the Tracks
Genesis - Three Sides Live
Jethro Tull - Bursting Out
Ashra Tempel - Gin Rose at the Royal Festival Hall
Leonard Cohen - Live in Dublin
Kraftwerk - Minimum-Maximum

And AC/DC “If You Want Blood”
Mad stuff that I had forgotten how terrific an album this is. Listened to it over the weekend I remember when I cried on hearing of Bon Scotts passing. The next time I cried was when I first heard his replacement, Brian Johnson. They were tears borne out of disappointment. Lost interest in AC/DC after that

Dave Brubeck live at Montreaux. Fabulous recording. Very high quality.
Talking Heads Heatwave Festival (HD tracks) 1980. Soundboard recording of first RIL tour performance.
Ray Brown Trio Live at the Loa Loa.

My favourite live albums are:

Jefferson airplane - Bless its pointed little head
Humble Pie - Eat it (side 4 is live)
Cream- Wheels of fire (live at the Filmore)
Misty in Roots - Live at the counter eurovision 79

Octane Twisted by Porcupine Tree
Listened to this on CD yesterday. Terrific band and killer tracks. Sonically this recording is sensational. It is a reminder of how good rock music can sound. On the other hand, it brings to mind the many recordings that are victims of the loudness war.

It's been mentioned in many previous threads but Thin Lizzy's "Live & Dangerous" is widely cited as one of the best live albums (as far as rock music goes anyway.) John Peel certainly championed it when it came out and he'd mostly moved on to other types of music in his show by then.

The producer Tony Visconti claimed that a lot of the quality came from studio overdubs to the extent that these were almost studio re-created recordings played over live crowd ambience, but the band always claimed they just re-touched a few fluffed guitar solos. Since both parties would like to have credit for one of the most successful live albums ever its not a surprise that there is a conflict of opinion. It matters little to me as my first ever gig was seeing them at Lewisham Odeon during that tour and the double LP I bought when it came out was then and still is an instant time machine back to that night for my ears. The CD copy I also have now somehow doesn't capture the same sound for me, so it appears to have lost some of the excitement in the re-mastering for reasons I can't put my finger on.

There is another Thin Lizzy live recording more recently released called "Still Dangerous" from a tour in the US around the same time as "L&D", with guitarist Scott Gorham presiding over the prodution, which to me sounds remarkably similar to "Live & Dangerous" and, as I've said before, suggests to me that maybe Visconti's work on "L&D" wasn't quite as extensive as he claimed.

Votes from me for :

Rainbow, On Stage - what a blistering opening to an album!

Yes, Yessongs the triple gatefold that had to save a lot of pocket money to get hold of. Much of it sounds better and fuller than the Studio versions - especially Close To The Edge

Deep Purple, Made in Japan - nailed on classic album

Tim Buckley - Dream Letter, Live In London '68.
If you don't get goosebumps during Pleasant Street/You Keep Me Hanging On, then I'm not sure we can be friends.
His Honeyman and Live At The Troubadour are also great

Here's a few to balance out the rock .

Donny Hathaway - Live .
Curtis Mayfield - Curtis Live .
Mavis Staples - Hope at the Hideout .

It's been mentioned in many previous threads but Thin Lizzy's "Live & Dangerous" is widely cited as one of the best live albums (as far as rock music goes anyway.) John Peel certainly championed it when it came out and he'd mostly moved on to other types of music in his show by then.

The producer Tony Visconti claimed that a lot of the quality came from studio overdubs to the extent that these were almost studio re-created recordings played over live crowd ambience, but the band always claimed they just re-touched a few fluffed guitar solos. Since both parties would like to have credit for one of the most successful live albums ever its not a surprise that there is a conflict of opinion. It matters little to me as my first ever gig was seeing them at Lewisham Odeon during that tour and the double LP I bought when it came out was then and still is an instant time machine back to that night for my ears. The CD copy I also have now somehow doesn't capture the same sound for me, so it appears to have lost some of the excitement in the re-mastering for reasons I can't put my finger on.

There is another Thin Lizzy live recording more recently released called "Still Dangerous" from a tour in the US around the same time as "L&D", with guitarist Scott Gorham presiding over the prodution, which to me sounds remarkably similar to "Live & Dangerous" and, as I've said before, suggests to me that maybe Visconti's work on "L&D" wasn't quite as extensive as he claimed.
A terrific album. I remember buying it the day of its release, sticking it on the TT and being completely blown away. Your comment on the cd not capturing the same sound, I agree with. Indeed I find it difficult to name too many rock recordings of that era that impressed when transferred to the digital domain. Right now I am listening to Purple's Made in Japan and doing an A/B between the much sought after Hoffman remastered CD and the 'Porky' vinyl cut. The vinyl kicks the CD into touch very easily.

Well I note the Op said not Jazz and that would probably be most of my first 'Live' choices, but as he mentions Simon and Garfukel then the
Concert in Central Park is not a bad live choice or
The Everly Brothers - Reunion Concert.
Others
The Band (with a star cast of friends) - The Last Waltz.
Little Feat - Waiting for Columbus.
The Allman Brothers - Live At Fillmore East.
Peter Gabriel - Plays Live.
Joan Armatrading - Stepping Out.

And my Oddball choice
Ravi Shankar - In Concert (Royce Hall, UCLA) 1961.

Didn't Visconti only have a small window of time to work on the album? 3 weeks or so rings a bell. That sounds more in line with the band's version of events...

advertisement

Back