advertisement

Best electronic/ dance/ rave/ Albums

images
More armchair techno than dance but I loved the Warp output from this era.

I'm a fan of Garage music. I like Bobby Analog, Belfast based DJ & founder of house label Body Fusion. Recommended mixes on RA, useful site.

My most played CD of electronic music by far is Future Nostalgia by Anti-Atlas, i.e. Ned Bigham. Very interesting arrangements.

Discovering new music is such a joy.

Some 30 years later I still remember a stunning turning point in my musical life when after many years of listening to heavy/rock/prog I was at a dinner on holiday and dubnobasswithmyheadman was played as background. Oof! WTF is that... tell me more.....
That opened up a whole new world of music......exploring more ever since.

Just watched the Prodigy at the IOW festival tonight!. just fabulous.

If you like the power of Fat of the land, you also need to hear imo…

Leftfield - Leftism

The amazing, but less known POB - Essence

Dig your own hole - Chemical Brothers

I would also look at some of the prodigy’s earlier stuff, goto the album ‘Experience’

Then go down the XL records rabbit hole on YouTube… - you’ll have an amazing time.

Not a bad idea watching other Spike Jonze videos too, a few of them might fit the bill.

Most of what I'd recommend have already been mentioned but a couple of things you might like are:
Jon Hopkins - start with Immunity or Singularity albums (he's literally a concert pianist who got into psychedelics)
The Orb's adventures beyond the ultraworld
(not sure how to categorise this album, ambient trance?)
Disclosure - Settle (house)
and if you're a Dr who fan (or not, it's worth a listen):

Terrace- Konnect
Paperclip People- The Secret Tapes of Dr.Eich
The Other People Place- Tales of the Laptop Cafe
Robert Leiner- Visions of the Past
FUSE- Dimension Intrusion
Plaid- Rest Proof Clockwork

All 90’s electronica that work as albums. Some of my favourites.

Ultramarine - Every Man and Woman is a Star.
"Critic Simon Reynolds called the album "the first and best stab at that seeming contradiction-in-terms, pastoral techno," likening it to "acid house suffused with the folky-jazzy ambience of Roy Harper, John Martyn, and the Canterbury Scene."

Scanning thorugh my collection a few more that are not quite Prodigy alternatives but highly recommended.

BT had a bit of a purple patch at the end of the 90s with a couple of good albums:

ESCM

Movement in Still Life

William Orbit's "Strange Cargo 3" and "Strange Cargo Hinterland" are also worth getting - you can pick copies up on CD for pennies.

Prodigy - Experience for me. The rest sound like they lost their way a bit, banging singles aside.

Felix tha Housecat - Kittenz and Thee Glitz has wall to wall classics all through it.

Good thread. It's actually quite hard to think of really excellent rave / dance albums, the singles are great but many cant keep it together for the length of an LP.

Electronica is a different story of course.

Probably my favourite compilation is
Viva Hacienda

Goes from 80s rare groove / electro / acid through to house and everything in between . An excellent primer.

Some great ones already mentioned.

Some break beaty type stuff, not a million miles off The Prodigy...

Glitch Mob

Crystal Method

Le Castle Vania

More maintstream, recent and relaxing; deep house'ish (Way Out West already been mentioned, hard to beat!) Bronson and Dillistone do some good stuff, really nicely mixed an' all.

Might be worth flinging some full-on bangin’ 303/909 stuff onto the thread:

The way that one builds in a club is amazing! Just a mental track at 3am!.

I’ll throw in a bit of fairly dark and visceral German trance too. Oliver Lieb records under the names Spicelab, LSG, The Ambush and several others. Always worth listening to and always stunningly well recorded (he lists a pair of Quad ESL63s in his equipment list on one of his albums). His stuff works as albums for listening as well as random 12” singles the way so much of this stuff does.

This is totally over the top, but maybe has some Prodigy energy despite being hard-trance. Stay tuned/skip to the end for the crazy 303 bit! Pablo Gargano was Eve Records, the records were just issued with numbers, no titles anywhere on the labels, this one was Eve 8.

As much as the Shamen were mentioned upthread, I still rate Boss Drum as one of the best albums of the early 90s in ant genre. Definitely works as an album.

I really like En-Tact, it has such a sound and feel to it, really captured the moment. I’ve got the 2x45 limited edition which sounds great. Must dig it out for a spin. Also got the preceding album ‘In Gorbachov We Trust’, which is a whole other thing!

advertisement

Back