advertisement

Best electronic/ dance/ rave/ Albums

^ Both those Shamen albums are superb. Had then originally on cassette (to play in the car - pre cd releases I think?!) now have both on vinyl, but never heard the 2x45 Limited Tony - have to hunt that one down..

Also love Tripomatic Fairytales from Jam & Spoon. 2001 especially.. it just builds and builds!

I going to have to check out this thread when I've got decent internet.
The prodigy is one of my favourite bands.

^ Both those Shamen albums are superb. Had then originally on cassette (to play in the car - pre cd releases I think?!) now have both on vinyl, but never heard the 2x45 Limited Tony - have to hunt that one down..

Also love Tripomatic Fairytales from Jam & Spoon. 2001 especially.. it just builds and builds!

There are two very distinctly different mixes of En-Tact; the original UK issue with the embossed black/silver cover, and a later remix for the US market in a blueish grey cover that became standard ever since. IMHO the original is *a lot* better. The remix smoothed everything out and made it far more generic, the original has such a great vibe/feel to it. This carries over the CD, the original black silver cover issue is the original mix with so,e extended mixes too. Well worth hunting down even if you have original vinyl (either the 2x45 or 1x33).

Edit: Discogs implies the fairly recent 2x45 reissue is actually the later mix, not the original, so go hunting originals!

Tripomatic Fairytales is a great album. I had the CD since it came out and much to my astonishment I found the vinyl in a local £1 bin (a dealer who doesn't know electronica at all) about a decade ago.

Yeah can be an acquired taste. But this has to be a contender for the best 40 minutes on YouTube.

Oh, I was expecting that to be proper old-school underground rave. Still lots of classics, though.

EDIT: I think a lot of stuff I used to listen to was probably terrible, but I used to smoke a lot of weed in those days.

I do like this track with an mc though -

Electribe 101 - Electrical Memories.

Meant to see them at the International I but it was snowed off, rearranged and then they split up.
Including their cover of Odyssey's (and Jesse Rae's!) "Inside oot(;))"
I'll have you know that Rae is the Scottish Borders and Scotland, Funk Ambassador for The Funk Music Hall of Fame and Exhibition Centre in Dayton, Ohio, US.

Last edited:
There are two very distinctly different mixes of En-Tact; the original UK issue with the embossed black/silver cover, and a later remix for the US market in a blueish grey cover that became standard ever since. IMHO the original is *a lot* better. The remix smoothed everything out and made it far more generic, the original has such a great vibe/feel to it. This carries over the CD, the original black silver cover issue is the original mix with so,e extended mixes too. Well worth hunting down even if you have original vinyl (either the 2x45 or 1x33).

Edit: Discogs implies the fairly recent 2x45 reissue is actually the later mix, not the original, so go hunting originals!

Tripomatic Fairytales is a great album. I had the CD since it came out and much to my astonishment I found the vinyl in a local £1 bin (a dealer who doesn't know electronica at all) about a decade ago.

A quid?! Wtf!

Yes I have an original 1x33 En tact, which is lovely, and an original copy of In Gorbachev we trust.

Best electronic album I've heard, is B.O.C's Music Has The Right To Children.

It'll not be on the 'rave' or 'dance' menu.. but that's my sole inclusion nonetheless.

Capt

Yes I have an original 1x33 En tact, which is lovely, and an original copy of In Gorbachev we trust.

I’d not fret too much about the 2x45 then, the mix is the same and there isn’t that much between them as three tracks a side is pushing 45rpm. The first CD issue is worth finding for the additional/longer versions.

Best electronic album I've heard, is B.O.C's Music Has The Right To Children.

Great album. Their other albums are good too.

I’d not fret too much about the 2x45 then, the mix is the same and there isn’t that much between them as three tracks a side is pushing 45rpm. The first CD issue is worth finding for the additional/longer versions.

Great album. Their other albums are good too.

I tried geogaddi, the only other I've heard, but felt it was distinctly trying to follow MHTRtoC's coattails & coming up seriously short, for me. So I like it that I just stick to this one blinder in my collection, & the standard is kept impeccable to me with just this one from them. Alas only on cd tho.. I'd love it on Lp but out of my budget now at prolly over £30.

Hmm.. I'll dig out my Shaman en-tact Lp for another spin then (embossed silver original) I think I've played it maybe once since 1995! Not exactly my scene all this, as you might be able to tell.

Another electronic belter, for me (& again f-all to do with raving about or disco dancing around) is Kraftwerk's Tour De France soundtracks: yes y'all will mention the old favourite albums instead yadda yadda, but this I thought was mighty impressive & kinda coming from nowhere/ no current scene/ just an anomally from intelligent, talented musical minds. And one of my hifi reference cd's too- the recording quality is impeccable.

Capt

The Kraftwerk is strong in that one! I didn’t realise the Fantasy label (which I associate with jazz/fusion) was in that scene. That sounds well ahead of the game, I’d have pegged it five or six years later (when those Kraftwerk samples were everywhere!).

advertisement

Back