1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Dusty album on CD?

Discussion in 'music' started by Rockmeister, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

just that...never owned a DS album (shame, I know) so which one do I buy for definitive Dusty soul?

2. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

That rather depends on what angle you approach from, as ever.

As a recommendation to people in general, I would have to say Reputation. If is absolutely 100% Dusty, but a bit out of character in style - it has PSB all over it.

3. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

PSB?
    Purple sprouting broccoli?
    Pet shop boys?

4. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Rockmeister likes this.
  5. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

A truly beautiful album, by the way. Just very enjoyable, if you like her voice at all (and a PSB recipe/production).

I like to think that she especially liked making it, so close to the end. Something different, and yet so totally Dusty, her last album before she became ill.

6. MotelBlues

MotelBlues pfm Member

I have to plug “Dusty In Memphis” ‘cos I’m amazed nobody else has mentioned it yet (Vinny’s link excepted, obvs...).

jackbarron and mikechadwick like this.
  7. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

For me, Dusty in Memphis, is Dusty trying too hard, perhaps almost lost. Good music, but not real Dusty.

It was (reputedly) made to try to get her a foothold in serious soul, which I would strongly argue, she should never have aspired to. The record is good, but to me it is Dusty pushed out of her comfort zone. She did far better work following her natural style and inclination.

Just my two penneth worth.

8. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

I’m a big fan of Dusty in Memphis.

9. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Dusty in Memphis

10. Jonn

Jonn Tons of Trouble

Shelby Lynne: Just A Little Lovin’

Woodface and Zagreus like this.
  11. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Cameo.
    Don't listen to it during a break up though.

12. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

Thanks all...will do some spotifying:)

13. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Oh yes! What an album that is, 'I don't to hear it anymore' is definitive. Much prefer her voice to Dusty's, sorry, I'll get my coat.

14. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

I like Dusty in Memphis, but always think it is just a bit too measured and too 'samey'.

Unless you have some sort of cultural/religious/intellectual objection to compilations, I'd argue that this is a very good intro.. It's all I have apart from DIM and includes most of her significant singles, including a couple of 'gems' such as 'Going Back', 'Wishin' and Hopin' etc, along with a couple of her early 'pseudo country' songs with the Springfields and a few from her late period and 'Reputation'.

What's not to like?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Goin-Back-...eway&sprefix=Dusty+Springfield,aps,179&sr=8-4

15. mrlamonta

mrlamonta pfm Member

As compilations go this is great. One from Bob Stanley.

[​IMG]

16. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

Dusty In Memphis.

Jack