advertisement

Best Dusty album on CD?

That rather depends on what angle you approach from, as ever.

As a recommendation to people in general, I would have to say Reputation. If is absolutely 100% Dusty, but a bit out of character in style - it has PSB all over it.

A truly beautiful album, by the way. Just very enjoyable, if you like her voice at all (and a PSB recipe/production).

I like to think that she especially liked making it, so close to the end. Something different, and yet so totally Dusty, her last album before she became ill.

For me, Dusty in Memphis, is Dusty trying too hard, perhaps almost lost. Good music, but not real Dusty.

It was (reputedly) made to try to get her a foothold in serious soul, which I would strongly argue, she should never have aspired to. The record is good, but to me it is Dusty pushed out of her comfort zone. She did far better work following her natural style and inclination.

Just my two penneth worth.

I like Dusty in Memphis, but always think it is just a bit too measured and too 'samey'.

Unless you have some sort of cultural/religious/intellectual objection to compilations, I'd argue that this is a very good intro.. It's all I have apart from DIM and includes most of her significant singles, including a couple of 'gems' such as 'Going Back', 'Wishin' and Hopin' etc, along with a couple of her early 'pseudo country' songs with the Springfields and a few from her late period and 'Reputation'.

What's not to like?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000005S0X/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
As compilations go this is great. One from Bob Stanley.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back