advertisement

Best debut album ever?

Err.. I'm not just saying this.. but there was this band in the early 1960s who did music like nobody else. They sounded different, acted different and even wrote some of their own songs.

Whether you like them or not.. it was one heluva debut.

iu
I've still got my original vinyl copy, bought a couple of days after it was released. It's mono of course, and has suffered huge abuse in its early days, from cheap styli, being thrown on the floor, covered in various foodstuffs, etc. Although there's lots of crackling between tracks, it still sounds remarkably good. Cover's not so jolly though.

Beat me to it! One of the most significant first contributions.

I’d also add:
Royal Blood, eponymous
The Weeknd, Trilogy
Daftpunk, homework
Kendrick Lamar, good kid m.a.a.d city
Rage against the machine, eponymous
Erik B and Rakim, paid in full
Drake, thank me later
The xx, xx
Norah Jones, come away with me
Kayne West, the college dropout

Other than the Norah Jones and RATM the rest is pretty much a list of how bad "music" has become these days!
Some would feature in my "worst albums ever released"!

Err.. I'm not just saying this.. but there was this band in the early 1960s who did music like nobody else. They sounded different, acted different and even wrote some of their own songs.

Whether you like them or not.. it was one heluva debut.

I don't think they ever bettered it, equalled perhaps. Stunning debut album - I saw her standing there is just the best first track too.

And so poorly recorded. And so horribly compressed. What has become of sound engineers?

With stuff as shite as the weakend and ducks the shame is that anyone encouraged them to leave the day job in the first place! That anyone bothered to record it magnifies the crimes against humanity many fold!

That stuff sells.

Unfortunately the majority of the public have taste and musical appreciation about on a par with a 5 year old child who draws pictures of stick men in primary colours, with a blue stripe at the top for the sky and a green stripe for the ground... and thinks turkey twizzlers drowned in ketchup is the haute cuisine...

Hence all you need for a top 10 hit today is for it to go thump thump thump as loudly and repetitively as possible (it should sound like a vinyl record that's stuck for best sales) whilst avoiding anything that will tax the tiny brains of the target audience, such as using anything more than 3 major chords, a key change, minor chords, and god forbid you should use anything like a chromatic progression! Oh and for extra sales the lyrics should be based around a female singer going on about how she is better off without her ex, he was a loser anyway, and she's having a great time now.... nothing too complicated though! it can't be dumbed down too much... there should be ample space for plenty of "la la la la, de de de dum dum dum da" type stuff:rolleyes:

Oh and apparently if you don't agree that such shite is actually as good as anything by Bach, Duke Ellington, Haydn, Joni Mitchell, Cole Porter or Lennon and McCartney then it is proof absolute that you are "too old" and you should be greeted with "OK Boomer" etc and should, apparently, never think it is a sign you have better developed tastes than a 5 year old:D

Hi-fi is about music. I mean, music, like the one stated above.
You can’t judge a hi-fi on computer-generated thump-thump or rap, which are nothing like music to these ears – or my kid’s ears for that matter… Education again!
But I’m an old fart myself.

I’m more of a classical fan now but these were on regular rotation during my student days. I’m still a big fan of Costello, Joe Jackson and Joy Division. I also dig out Reed’s Transformer every now and then but I think it’s my former Bowie worship that swings this.

Joe Jackson and David Bowie are amongst my favourite artists too DM, but like you I’m very much into classical (always have been, I was an alien as a teenager).

Grandaddy - Sumday

Unlike many of you, I think the arc of the arts has bent upwards since day one, as has our understanding of things in general, music included.

The problem with musical 'taste' is that it is mostly a function of what people are exposed to. If younger people are exposed purely to 'chart' music and have no influence from say.. parents who are a bit more informed, etc..then they will basically operate on the assumption that what they are hearing is what music is. Of course.. in our formative years we mostly have that music which we think of as 'ours', and most likely hold in special affection, but the luckier ones amongst us will also have been exposed to say, classical, jazz, folk etc.. often by parents, school or whatever.
I have a nephew whose perception of music about 20 years ago was largely dominated by the likes of UB40 (Which he erroneously thought was Reggae) and much similar tripe. I gave him a taped copy of Jenny Warnes 'Famous Blue Raincoat' and he was knocked out by it. He freely admitted that he was totally unaware that such performance levels and production values existed. He has developed rather more catholic taste since.

advertisement

Back